FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Stumped
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For a little while, my Automatic Zetec has been idling high at times. When I put in park after being on the highway, or stuck in traffic, on the highway, it'll idle high, around 1500. Today, it started to seek an idle speed after putting it in park, up around 1500 to down around 1000 and so on. No CEL. I smell gas, like it's running rich, during these times. When I'm running around town, it doesn't do this.
oldeguy,Jun 5 2007, 11:10 AM Wrote:For a little while, my Automatic Zetec has been idling high at times. When I put in park after being on the highway, or stuck in traffic, on the highway, it'll idle high, around 1500. Today, it started to seek an idle speed after putting it in park, up around 1500 to down around 1000 and so on. No CEL. I smell gas, like it's running righ, during these times. When I'm running around town, it doesn't do this.
[right][snapback]240568[/snapback][/right]
Sounds like you could have a problem with the throttle position sensor.
OAC_Sparky,Jun 5 2007, 11:22 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Jun 5 2007, 11:10 AM Wrote:For a little while, my Automatic Zetec has been idling high at times. When I put in park after being on the highway, or stuck in traffic, on the highway, it'll idle high, around 1500. Today, it started to seek an idle speed after putting it in park, up around 1500 to down around 1000 and so on. No CEL. I smell gas, like it's running righ, during these times. When I'm running around town, it doesn't do this.
[right][snapback]240568[/snapback][/right]
Sounds like you could have a problem with the throttle position sensor.
[right][snapback]240569[/snapback][/right]
TPS was repalced last year, it threw a CEL immediatly. Focusnme had a similar problem, ended up being a power steering pump sensor. I havn't had a DPFE problem, so I'm kind of hoping that's what it is.
Wont be the DPFE as that would throw a code to. Could be the IAC acting up. If it were stuck a little to far open or was now closing enough that would cause this problem.
Hole in a PCV / vacuum hose somewhere? I remember when I had a pinhole leak on my 302 in the Ranger, idling it was a serious biatch.
Did this happen after the intake install? I recall focusnme having the EXACT same problem....and the intake came from him...methinks something wrong with intake? If this was occuring before then obviously this isn't it...
hardk0re,Jun 5 2007, 11:26 PM Wrote:Did this happen after the intake install?  I recall focusnme having the EXACT same problem....and the intake came from him...methinks something wrong with intake?  If this was occuring before then obviously this isn't it...
[right][snapback]240650[/snapback][/right]
It was happening before the intake install. It started after I did my valve cover gasket.
Vacuum leak generally wont cause high idle. Usually it causes stalling or sputtering.
Its possible though. Get out the Propain torch and have a search for your leak. :D
Mason,Jun 6 2007, 07:05 AM Wrote:Vacuum leak generally wont cause high idle. Usually it causes stalling or sputtering.
Its possible though. Get out the Propain torch and have a search for your leak.  :D
[right][snapback]240662[/snapback][/right]
Anybody ever changed there IAC? If it was a vacuum leak, it would do it all the time, would it not? My very first thought was the Idle control.
Could either be IAC or DPFE. DPFE doesn't throw a code right away, from what I have read. Only throws it when it gets really bad, then it is usually an EGR code.

Ryan
If you have the ability, take a look at your long term fuel trim level. Find out if it is an over fueling issue or if there is a vaccum leak. If you don't have a scanner, check the basics, all the clamps to the air intake system.
Quote:Anybody ever changed there IAC? If it was a vacuum leak, it would do it all the time, would it not? My very first thought was the Idle control.

Never done it but I know it aint cheep. Had ford price one out for me a ways back. Cant remember what it cost.

Go to ford and get it cleaned. will cost like 80bux. Thats what I did when my idle acted weird in the winter. Hasnt given me grief sence then.