FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Turned On My Cell This Morning To A Big Supprise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an old Analogue cellphone lying arround from years ago, back from the Cantel Days. I have never used it in so long but it still powers up and the battery works just fine. This morning I powered it on to check it out, it went from Full Analog signal at 8:30 am to NO SERVICE BY 9:00 am, and will never get any service ever again. Why you ask? because Rogers finally pulled the plug on their aging Analog and TDMA networks. The network is being de-commissioned, meaning they are removing any and every piece of equiptment related to analog. A very smart and efficient move. A big misconception that most north americans have is that Analog works where my digital service does not, which is untrue anymore. Over the last 8 years, the Digital footprint has piggybacked where the existing analog covered, makes better use of spectrum, more energy efficient, farther range, etc. What if I still have an analog phone? am I totally out of luck? well no, you can still call 911, but you will be limited to the B-Side carriers analog network footprint, ie: bell/telus/mts/sasktel/tbtel. So dont throw away those phones just yet.
paolo,Jun 1 2007, 05:53 PM Wrote:What if I still have an analog phone? am I totally out of luck? well no, you can still call 911.........So dont throw away those phones just yet.
[right][snapback]240220[/snapback][/right]

I cancelled the "Focus Fone" but still have the hardware installed for just that reason. Besides it looks "big pimpin"

[Image: CellMount.jpg]

[Image: Transceiver.jpg]
you know they still have those car phones in existance that work? all they do is put all new digital gsm guts inside of them. Now you are not only big pimpin but you can give out your number too.
paolo,Jun 1 2007, 06:21 PM Wrote:you know they still have those car phones in existance that work? all they do is put all new digital gsm guts inside of them.  Now you are not only big pimpin but you can give out your number too.
[right][snapback]240227[/snapback][/right]

Interesting to hear that because the range is increadible, I used to bring it on the ship with me years ago and I was in range long after everyone else failed.

These days I have a Crackberry so really no need to pay for a dedicated "Focus Fone" anymore. Of course it was hands free, any key answer and everything else. I like the big keypad, hate small buttons because I have big fingers and its very easy to dial while driving though I avoid that act as often as possible.

One neat feature is that when on a job site and a call was recieved the phone could actually honk the car horn and flash the lights with each ring! Very useful and I doubt current phones could do that.
2001 ZTS,Jun 1 2007, 07:04 PM Wrote:I cancelled the "Focus Fone" but still have the hardware installed for just that reason. Besides it looks "big pimpin"

Ummm.... no it don't :P

where'd you park the Delorian???
When I came down on Tuesday and added time to my PAYG phone... they told me my service would be dead today. My new phone arrived yesterday. 2 days for a PAYG free phone. Not bad!
looks like 2001stz is in luck. Motorola just released a GSM version of their classic Bag/Car phone. Kinda looks like a militairy phone too. http://www.motorola.com/consumer/v/index.j...how=productHome

[Image: Producthome_Main_30595.jpg]

I heard Rogers might be picking this up! it's 2 watts transmit, but can go up to 7 watts with a power amplifier