FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Iconic Toronto Landmark To Close Forever.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Flagship Sam the Record Man Store is set to close in June
May 31, 2007
toronto.ctv.ca

Yonge Street's Sam the Record Man store, one of Toronto's most iconic landmarks, will close its doors next month.

Jason and Bobby Sniderman, the sons of original owner Sam Sniderman, say that declining CD sales, the ever-changing face of technology and competition from franchise stores are the main factors for the close.

"We are making a responsible decision in recognizing the status of the record industry and the increasing impact of technology," said Bobby Sniderman in a press release issued Tuesday.

The brothers say the store's legacy "will forever endure and perhaps, other opportunities will arise for us to develop the brand in the expanding delivery of music."

John Donabie, a broadcaster, said that when the company's flagship store closes its doors it will leave a hole in the city's downtown culture.

"Without Sam's I can honestly say to you that Yonge Street will never be the same. Those big spinning discs, they're a part of my childhood," he said.

Thousands of people have flocked to the social networking site Facebook to voice their dismay.

The largest group dedicated to the downtown store, "Save the Sam's Sign," already boasts almost 2,000 members.

The Facebook users want the enormous spinning neon records on the store's exterior, a draw for tourists and a symbol of Toronto's downtown core, to be salvaged and declared a city landmark.

In 2001, the store went bankrupt and was reopened by Sniderman's sons the following year.

During the height of the business, there were more than 100 stores across the country.

With the close of the Yonge Street flagship store, only two independent Sam's stores are left across the country -- one in Belleville, Ont., and another in Sarnia, Ont.

The store was known for giving struggling Canadian musicians a chance, often housing independent local records that most downtown chains didn't carry.

Sam Sniderman started selling records out of his brother's radio shop in 1937 and opened the Yonge Street store in 1961.

"He stood across the street at the corner of Yonge and Elm, looked at the store and said 'This is where we're going to build our family legacy'," Bobby Sniderman explained.

The Yonge St. store covered 40,000 square feet and in 2002, it carried 400,000 titles.

Sniderman's contributions to the music industry earned him an Order of Canada and the respect of some of Canada's most prominent musicians.

The Canadian-music fixture will close on June 30.
Its sad that some people are losing jobs and its all because of peer 2 peer programs and burned cds. Cds used to be like 25 30 dollars at a regular discount store now new ones are like 15 bucks tops.
zx5power,May 31 2007, 10:15 PM Wrote:Its sad that some people are losing jobs and its all because of peer 2 peer programs and burned cds.
[right][snapback]240098[/snapback][/right]

Although I've only been in Sam the Record Man twice in my life, it sure was a nice place. Plus with him promoting a lot of good bands, its sad that that kind of openness is no longer viable in a storefront.

But then you have to ask yourself, was Sam in it for the money or the music? To be honest IMO, the internet now achieves what he wanted, to have the world listen to music. Most people don't recognize him as a man in the music business, but he was in the business of promoting music.

Pinning the loss of Sam the Record Man stores on peer 2 peer isn't fair. The store did not learn to adapt with current trends.

IMO music is an art form, not a business.
zx5power,May 31 2007, 09:15 PM Wrote:Its sad that some people are losing jobs and its all because of peer 2 peer programs and burned cds. Cds used to be like 25 30 dollars at a regular discount store now new ones are like 15 bucks tops.
[right][snapback]240098[/snapback][/right]
IMHO The music companies did it to themselves. Before the CD, I could go down to Sam's and buy current LP's for 6.99. Once the switch-over to CD's was complete, the minimum price was around 12.99. The artists didn't get a penny extra for the additional cost, it was pure profit for the Sony Music et al. It's no wonder all their customers walked away.
When is this closure taking place? I'd DEFINATELY like to go there once more...it was my favourite record shop in the world when I was younger, and I didn't even live in T.O...
We used to head over to Sam's in the late 70's. Now downtown TO is a s***hole so I haven't been anywhere near Younge since The Lion King played a couple years back (and I still had to step over the bums outside). Suburbia and the country is more enjoyable for me anyway.
here is some good news about the store location though

Ryerson buys Sam the Record Man store on Yonge
jan. 18. 2008
The Canadian Press

TORONTO — Ryerson University has acquired four Toronto properties for a planned expansion, including the iconic Sam the Record Man store on Yonge St.

The university says the acquisitions will provide space for programs and services urgently needed by students.

The other properties include a small office building, a parking lot and a former Future Shop retail outlet adjacent to the former Sam's store.

The total value of the four properties is $40 million.

Ryerson is in the midst of developing a plan to revitalize its downtown campus over the next 20 years.
wow a lil late on the update i knew that a long time ago ur usally pretty good with the updates frost what happened this time i think u can blame the canadain press for this one this old news
Ryerson should buy the place and move in.
ZX3_2NV,Jan 22 2008, 06:40 PM Wrote:wow a lil late on the update i knew that a long time ago ur usally pretty good with the updates frost what happened this time i think u can blame the canadain press for this one this old news
[right][snapback]256573[/snapback][/right]

I got it a few days later on as I was working when the story first aired.