FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Would You Recommend At 20k Kms?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My car has just passed the 20K km mark. I have brought it in to the dealership for an oil change, but decided to pass on the 20 K km service.

Is there anything that you would recommend replacing at this mileage (ie: fuel filter, air filter, etc.??), and which specific products should I be using?

The maintenance manual says to replace the fuel filter at 30K and the air filter at 50K, but I`ve been told that it`s best to replace both of these every 20K.

FYI my car is a stock 2.0 Duratec
im also curious , skipped on the 20 km service to pricey
Change your air filter every oil change, or buy a K&N air filter drop in, they are good for 50,000 kms, before you have to clean them, and they won't void your warranty. Some people advise a fuel filter at 20K.
Yeah I would do the air filter every second oil change. I clean my K&N almost every oil change.

I would also do the fuel filter. Something that isnt to much money, and easy to DIY (or your BF or brother ;) ). Changing the fuel filter often will make sure that the rest of the fueling components stay clean functioning well.
filter is a duratec lifetime filter , but how much does the fuel filters run ?
Do at least the fuel filter, it's cheap insurance against problems with the fuel pump (IE: clogged filter means pump works harder to push the same amount of gas through)

BTW: The air filter on the Duratec is a "permanent" type that Ford says is good to 200K under regular conditions ("Severe service" halves that to approx 100K and Canada is considered severe service) and will cost you $400 to replace when it dies! :blink:

Which is why I went with the Steeda SRI, no way am I paying Ford $400 to replace their monstrosuty every 100K :angry:

NefCanuck
get fuel filter changed....if u can after every oil change add injector cleaner and as flo mentioned its a good thing to change your air filter every or every other oil change
i clean my cone filter very often

oh and if u really care about your car do an engine flush...i do mine every 10K.........and if your really-really care about the car, give it synthetic oil.......ok im gonna stop now
Hopefully ill have my turbo well before 100k lol , but if not I wont be paying no 400 for a stock box.
Do the fuel filter... everything else should be golden. I don't see you needing to replace the intake box until at least 100K unless you start modding :D
whats involed in changing th fuel filter ? is there a how to ? previous cars had to drop the tank gotta be easier than that lol
NOS2Go4Me,May 31 2007, 02:32 PM Wrote:Do the fuel filter... everything else should be golden. I don't see you needing to replace the intake box until at least 100K unless you start modding :D
[right][snapback]240039[/snapback][/right]

I'm doing the smart $$ thing and waiting for the warranty to die out before I start seriously modding. But the first thing would be exhaust and CAI... which I've been talking about for ages ;)

I'll change the fuel filter and air filter for now. Thanks for the input.

Oh, and any pointers as to where to go in Ottawa to get a K&N drop in? They don't carry them at Canadian Tire
no drop in sealed air box ... entire box needs to be changed around 100,000km
You could do a small section of 3" ID tubing and then a K+N 3" cone filter... Steeda SRI without the extra dough spent ;)

Oh, and by 10,000 my powertrain warranty's going buh-bye. Believe it.
you lucky bas&^% lol , you changing your tranny ?
the other things you should check on and top up are Tranny fluid, rad fluid, brake, and power steering fluids as they might be a little be down, not to mention take a look at the colour of them to make sure they are not dull in colour or dark, as it's a sign you'll need to replace the fluids.
I get that for an extra 5 dollars every oil change
Wow people... This is just a Focus.

I've never changed the fuel filter on any car I've ever owned, EVAR. This is the "would you like fries with that?" of the automotive world. Even my 70,000km turbo car has the original filter. If you're not filling up in ratty gas stations, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Air filters, anybody putting a K&N on their car thinking they're doing it good... is not. Hellooooo 90% filtering efficiency. They blow. I'll never run K&N again after I learned that.

You can't easily check the tranny fluid on a manual.

Check your other fluids, other than that... pffftt! This ain't a Ferrari guys.
I never changed the filter either and it had 115, 000km when I got rid of the car. As long as you dont run the car to E all the time you should have to replace the filter.
Fuel filter is a good thing to change on the car only every 20-30K.....obviosly you guys never tried doing it......."don't burn it till you try it"....cuz when i changed mine...oh boy was it ever dirty!
a good maintenance on the car at least once a year is always good....that means change all the liqueds and ect...

i agree on K&N fact....u CAN NOT...i repeat CAN NOT clean completly the filter that is "rechargeable", no matter what cleanning compound you use.....its always gonna have dirt in it....
i wish i could change them just as a stock filter....but i can't pay $40 or so for a new filter .....

You CAN...I repeat you CAN completly clean the filter that is "rechargeable", I have been doing it for years now and it still looks new

K&N sells the oil and cleaner us it

B)
Pages: 1 2