FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Decided To Let The Cat Out Of The Bag.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I might need a reliable shop to do a significant install, complete with dyno to facilitate a proper tune.

My first impression was Da Silva, as I'm sure they've done at least one Focus recently with a boost kit and they're familiar with how stuff bolts up.

It's about a day's labour from what I can tell, but I'm not telling just yet ;)

Nate - you turn your own wrenches, right? I seem to recall you had Jay there as well, too. Depending on how this turns out, I might lean on you for a few ideas.

Post up if you know REPUTABLE shops that not only have done good Focus work in the past, but if you'd return to them for more work as well.

Thanks!
Are you doing what I think you're doing? Boost?
Buy the focussport, i'll help you with install. Book dyno time ANYWHERE and Randy will remote tune you free of charge....its part of the deal with FS Boost ;)

let me know how it works out nos2go , my auto needs it to lol
Yes, Jay and I built my turbo kit....well it was more Jay, but I dont have a problem using tools.

36 hours. Straight. Still the same kit almost 3 years later.

Not many can say they've done what we did. B)
Not sure how many know / care, but I figured I'd confirm it.

I'm hoping to get the FS Duratec kit installed this summer. I should be buying it by mid-July, and maybe earlier with any luck.

If the money gods smile, I'll be Stage 2 right off the top. I'm aiming for 205-215WHP @ 11PSI. We'll see. :)
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 3 2007, 12:28 PM Wrote:Not sure how many know / care, but I figured I'd confirm it.

I'm hoping to get the FS Duratec kit installed this summer. I should be buying it by mid-July, and maybe earlier with any luck.

If the money gods smile, I'll be Stage 2 right off the top. I'm aiming for 205-215WHP @ 11PSI. We'll see. :)
[right][snapback]240395[/snapback][/right]
Cool. I'm also looking at the HiBoost kit.

Do you think your 2.25" MBRP will be big enough?
It would, might keep me a tad under 200WHP tho... so I'm going to be the MBRP test-mule for the revised 2.5" and 2.25" Duratec systems with a flex-back (2nd cat delete). According to Vic at FS, a 2.5" and Stage 2 @ 11PSI should net me over 200WHP easy. More if I go 12PSI, but I don't want to push it. 10-11 is generally accepted as a "long-life" install.

In 2 years, I may do a build-up with a 2.3L and forged internals to go with higher boost (which the kit can easily run).

I'll also be getting the CFM Bosch injector harness adapters so we don't have to cut into the stock injector wiring harnesses. I'd recommend that as an extra.

The FS kit now comes with the SS oil drain line standard (confirmed by Vic at FS) but they still recommend the coolant lines for the turbo, which I will be doing, as well as the one step colder plugs.
That's a concern for me. The 1st cat is in the exhaust manifold (which obviously comes out with the turbo), you get a second cat delete, that means "zero cats" and an automatic fail on the DriveClean.

I can get my tester to ignore the fact that one was removed, but not both.

Kinda irritates me though, I asked MBRP about a 2.5" for the sedan and they said "No way no how".

I would be willing to be the test mule for the 2.5" cat back, I have to pick my kids up in Emsdale at the end of June.
and what are the plans for the transmission in your car. Probably not going to hold up to the power.
FocusGuy7476,Jun 3 2007, 04:05 PM Wrote:and what are the plans for the transmission in your car. Probably not going to hold up to the power.
[right][snapback]240405[/snapback][/right]
It will, although a better clutch and a LSD would help. The MTX in the Focus is good to about 275hp.
I've been told by FocusSport that they have several ATX Duratecs with the stage 2 kit at 10-11PSI and they're still solid today after months of use.

Ideally, next year a Lentech and a LSD would be going in, perhaps with a shorter final drive if possible.
Sorry, thought you had the MTX
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 3 2007, 09:09 PM Wrote:I've been told by FocusSport that they have several ATX Duratecs with the stage 2 kit at  10-11PSI and they're still solid today after months of use.

Ideally, next year a Lentech and a LSD would be going in, perhaps with a shorter final drive if possible.
[right][snapback]240408[/snapback][/right]

wow wow.. nice.. 200whp will be lots of fun!!!

out of curiosity, care to ballpark the $$ of the whole setup? i have sometimes thought 'what if i kept my focus and tossed on a turbo kit' in moments of nostalgia

and.. do you know what 'months of use' means exactly? 45min of hard driving through mountains or on a track is a lot different from doing a highway pull or some stoplight drag racing and back to normal driving..
Congrats, I'd love to see what the final numbers money wise are... Boosting a Focus sedan would result in the ultimate stealth package :lol:

Esp. with the permit in the window Yes, you've just had your ass handed to you by a driver with a disabled parking permit... deal with it.... :lol:)

NefCanuck
did they change the tranny's when the put the new engine in?
I'm operating on a no-food diet today as the drive to Timmins isn't exactly a smorgasbord of delectable delights. Bear with me if I miss something:

The base cost of the kit, stages 1 and 2 directly from FocusSport is $3994 USD. That doesn't count shipping or border rapeage. I'm still working on figuring out how to get it home.

The nice part about the kit is as I mentioned, they've thrown in the one stainless line upgrade for free now.

The remaining upgrades I want are as follows (so far, listed in order from most important to least important):

Bosch fuel injector wiring adapters (to save splicing the stock harnesses) - ~$65 USD plus shipping / border enema. The first two are equally important, but this isn't a spreadsheet :P

Coolant lines to/from the turbo from FocusSport - $89.95 USD plus the usual social penalties.

Bailey silver BOV - my only "nastiness" on the whole car - the BOV HAS to be loud. No exceptions. I'm told that's the loudest one FS offers. $159.95 USD plus annual colorectal checkup.

AEM boost gauge / controller and wideband O2 sensor combo pack - $599 USD plus "a new outlook on life". The stage 2 kit comes with the TurboSmart manual controller, but who doesn't want it remote? Plus I need / want / really want a boost gauge for the interior.

So, all except the AEM stuff will run me ~$4310 or so before shipping and alternative lifestyle lessons.

For 200WHP (or better) at 11-12 PSI... that's a freaking bargain. It's tuned and supported remotely by FocusSport (and folks can't stop raving about their service!). The parts come with a 1 year warranty (except for a few which are lifetime, exhaust manifold included!). The SCT XCal2 is included in the price, as well as 3 tunes and unlimited tuning to get the car to 100% stable / safe to beat on at my chosen level of boost. So, one tune for 11 PSI, one for 12 (maybe higher)... and no idea what the third one is, maybe a full-race tune with alternator-delete and other race goodness.

I really want the AEM stuff but I won't let it delay me from installing the kit. I know a wideband O2 sensor is very important, it just might have to wait a couple of weeks before it gets bought and a couple more for the install. If Randy tells me I can be 100% safe and making nice power without the O2 sensor, so be it for now.

I can't wait.

D-Dub - the transmissions are markedly improved over the Zetec transmissions for ATX. At least one FJ member has the stage 2 kit on a 2.3L Duratec and he apparently tracks the car on weekends without issues after several months, as well as it being a spirited DD.

Seeing as I'll have the occasional shenanigans and not much else except for maybe Cayuga / Mosport once or twice a year, I figure I'll be just fine. Depending on cash and how things go, I'll definitely consider upgrading to a Lentech setup and hopefully a LSD (available via Lentech).

I'm also switching to synthetic on the next oil change unless anyone here figures that's a bad idea? I'm just really emulating the "good practices" of my buddy Pete with his 2006 WRX STi as far as maintenance goes.
Heads up. Crappy Tire has full synthetic 5W20 for $20 per 4.4L

Stock up.
Thanks man!
thats good to know they corrected the mistakes from the older ATX, and that would be my biggest concern when boosting a automatic car. But for sure put a diff in there, you don't want to be doing pegleg burnouts.
Pages: 1 2