FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Focus Slows When On The Gas.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've had this problem as of late, I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me what this is related to... he goes...

I am driving along the highway, when all of a sudden the car starts to slow down (kinda like it wants to die) so I get off the gas and then back on it and it starts to go again. This has happened a few days in a row.

On my way home I am stopped at a light, when the light turns green, I put it in first and give it some gas. It catches, and when I go to give it more gas it wants to die. I switch to second, it speeds up slowly and a little bit of sputter. Switch to third, fourth, fifth it's ok. Now I am cruising in 5th and it starts to sputter and slow down. Down shift to 4th and back up to 5th and it's ok... and it goes on and on.

After going through all this from Etobicoke to Aurora, I stop at a light (after long drive on the highway) and it sputters and stalls out. Start 'er up she runs fine for awhile.

No CEL, 1 stored code for random misfire and 1 for too lean.
I don't know if this is related.

Cleaned MAF and air filter, cleaned both O2 sensors, checked plug gap, wires and coil. All looks ok.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!
Steve.

Sounds like a clogged fuel filter.

Alien-Tek,May 25 2007, 08: Wrote:So I've had this problem as of late, I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me what this is related to... he goes...

I am driving along the highway, when all of a sudden the car starts to slow down (kinda like it wants to die) so I get off the gas and then back on it and it starts to go again. This has happened a few days in a row.

On my way home I am stopped at a light, when the light turns green, I put it in first and give it some gas. It catches, and when I go to give it more gas it wants to die. I switch to second, it speeds up slowly and a little bit of sputter. Switch to third, fourth, fifth it's ok. Now I am cruising in 5th and it starts to sputter and slow down. Down shift to 4th and back up to 5th and it's ok... and it goes on and on.

After going through all this from Etobicoke to Aurora, I stop at a light (after long drive on the highway) and it sputters and stalls out. Start 'er up she runs fine for awhile.

No CEL, 1 stored code for random misfire and 1 for too lean.
I don't know if this is related.

Cleaned MAF and air filter, cleaned both O2 sensors, checked plug gap, wires and coil. All looks ok.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!
Steve.
[right][snapback]239585[/snapback][/right]
yea either fuel filter(kinda needs to be replaces every 20K) or fuel pump
Hmmm.. Fuel filter was changed last summer. About 8,000km ago.

I hope it's not fuel pump.
Alien-Tek,May 25 2007, 08: Wrote:Focus Slows When On The Gas....

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!
Steve.
[right][snapback]239585[/snapback][/right]

This is normal if you are Naturally / Aspirated... :P

Alien-Tek,May 25 2007, 08: Wrote:I hope it's not fuel pump.
[right][snapback]239589[/snapback][/right]

If your car is a 00 or a 01 the fuel pump has a 10 year unlimited warranty. Mine got changed last week , I have a 00 ZX3 with 183K on it. Ford Program # 03N01
Mine is 2002.
mpcv2000,May 26 2007, 01:43 AM Wrote:If your car is a 00 or a 01 the fuel pump has a 10 year unlimited warranty. Mine got changed last week , I have a 00 ZX3 with 183K on it. Ford Program # 03N01
[right][snapback]239592[/snapback][/right]

Did they give you a hard time about this or were they willing to replace it without telling you need to rotate your tires or something like that.
I've been doing some research. Could this be the infamous DPFE failure? I noticed that the symptoms are the same with the "Sputter while cruising", "Random Misfire" and the "System too lean".

I called my buddy, it's at his shop, hopefully he will try this for me and let me know.

Any other idea's?
I have a 01 wagon bought used in 04. My fuel pump failed right after I bought it when I was somewhere in Kentucky. Didn't know what it was and I called dealer to send a tow truck. They recognized the problem immediately and fix it for free. I didn't even have to pay for the tow truck.

forgot to mention that when it failed it just died all of a sudden. no sign before and was able to start my car again and it would only run for 15 mins and die.

nass,May 26 2007, 12:47 PM Wrote:Did they give you a hard time about this or were they willing to replace it without telling you need to rotate your tires or something like that.
[right][snapback]239609[/snapback][/right]
Bad plug wires? That is the only thing I can think of. I had one with a bad boot that caused a similar issue.

Ryan
Coil?

Besides that... add more gas. :P
Ok, more symptoms...
Now getting pinging and clicking, also car starts jerking above 4000 RPMs.
Sounding more like ignition?
i would suspect coil, plugs or wires. 1st thing, check your plugs, its easy to do.
thenorm,May 29 2007, 06:44 PM Wrote:i would suspect coil, plugs or wires.  1st thing, check your plugs, its easy to do.
[right][snapback]239857[/snapback][/right]

Actually, checked them, they look good, gap is proper.
nass,May 26 2007, 08:47 AM Wrote:Did they give you a hard time about this or were they willing to replace it without telling you need to rotate your tires or something like that.
[right][snapback]239609[/snapback][/right]

1st place yes , the person at the service departement wasn't really willing to search for a 7 years old car with 183K on it for a campain that I wasn't sure about , 2nd place same tactic , but ran into very knowledgable person that new about the campain and did my car same day like if I was a regular and nothing about trying to sell me some inspections or tune up somehow.

awang44,May 27 2007, 08:54 AM Wrote:forgot to mention that when it failed it just died all of a sudden. no sign before and was able to start my car again and it would only run for 15 mins and die.

Yeap same for mine , got very hot outside , like 27 Celcius and it died twice on the highway , barely made it home , next morning started right up like a brand new car but did not take any chance and went to the dealer for the fuel pump issue , they just run your VIN number and they can tell you if it has been done ( under warranty ) before , this is good if you are not the 1st owner , like me with my carts.

Alien-Tek,May 29 2007, 06: Wrote:Ok, more symptoms...
Now getting pinging and clicking, also car starts jerking above 4000 RPMs.
Sounding more like ignition?
[right][snapback]239855[/snapback][/right]

Tough call because if the car is running out of gas or gets lean for some reason it may do exactly what you said.
So my buddy hooked up a fuel pressure tester and he said that when the cars starts to sputter the fuel pressure spikes to 90 psi. WTF?!

This problem has been happening for way too long. A few more days and it's going to Ford or going to trade the beast in.

Oh well, at least now I'll get my new car.