FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gonna Have To Ditch My Focus :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't cry, i'm going to get another one!

Just that with the stupid lease I'm kicking myself for getting now.. it allows me 14,500 miles a year. That was all fine and dandy at my company's old place.. 6500 miles a year driving to-from work... when they moved a month ago, its now a 13,000 mile a year commute! Basically, i can drive it to work, home, and the gas station without going over my limit.

So, talking to the stealership, and my salesman is going to try to work something out for me... probably end up giving it back, and putting whats left on the lease on top of a loan for something used.

Thinking its either going to be an SVT, or an ST.. Going to talk to him on Monday and tell him flat out what I want. if I can't haggle my way into one of those (i'm taking my brother with me, he is a bill collector, so he knows how to wheel & deal and shake people down - an art which I lack), its definately going to be something of a 5 speed variety, no more autotragic.

What a pain in the you-know-what.

Plus my brother has bought 3 trucks from this salesman, and got me to buy my car from him. So maybe that will help a bit.

Never f*cking leasing again.. I don't know what I was thinking.
torradan,May 24 2007, 08:02 AM Wrote:Never f*cking leasing again.. I don't know what I was thinking.
[right][snapback]239442[/snapback][/right]

x2, you were probably thinking about the low payments....and hey, the low low financing rates on leases are pretty attractive when compared to a standard loan. The trouble is your pretty much screwed if you want/need to get out of the lease unless your willing to trade it in on another lease. Happend to me when I leased a 98 Z24 Cav for 3 years *shakes head*. Now I say the same thing too "never again".
Leasing is only good if you own a company, that way you can just write the car off....OR if your company pays for your mileage.
Leasing is good for people who want a new car every 2-3 years without needing to pay for the depreciation, which you actually pay anyway.

I've never leased yet, but maybe I should of because I've bought 4 different vehicules since 1999. One of those I kept only 17 months! Wow, did I lose on that one.

Anyhoo, I hope everything works out for the best for ya.

P.S. Another down side to leasing is that you can't modify your car too much because they will say it can depreciate the cars value!
If you're looking new torradan, best bet is an ST then, larger motor and row it yourself... Though I dunno how plentiful ST models are at this point :unsure:

Because of the mods to my car to make it safe to drive, leasing was never an option (I checked, the minutes I said that I needed to "drill holes into the floor" I might as well have said I wanted it free :rolleyes:) but I've never been a fan of leasing anyways.

It's like renting an apartment only worse because they can and do hold you liable for everything that happens to the car during the lease <_<

Best of luck..

NefCanuck

Yeah, I've been pondering it for the past couple of weeks, and its driving me nuts.

I saw an Grey 05 ST on the lot where I got my car, but I can't get grey -- Michelle's focus is grey. She'll blow a frickin gasket (don't ask, she got pissed when i got a focus sedan -- because SHE has one). We already get harassed because we have the same car, but i think in the same color, she'd really go spastic. Has 25k miles on it, and they only want $10k for it... that isn't a bad deal at all. Has all options also (leather, heated ass warmers, etc). Too bad its not silver or red :(

The stealership i go to (West-Herr) has about 10 dealerships all over this area, so they should be able to find me something.

I know I'm going to get screwed on this, but I think the salesman is at least going to lube up before he goes to work on me.
Get a low-mileage SVT if you're going to S/C. If you're going N.A. or turbo, get a ST. The 2.3L Duratecs boost extremely well and they can also be very powerful all-motor mills without much heartache.
Definately no supercharging, or even turbocharging. The boss says NO.

I'm really steering towards the ST though, because I can use my CAI and exhaust with it.

Still no idea how I'm going to get the stock exhaust back on this thing though, since its that stupid one piece deal and I had to cut the lunchbox off. Might just be able to get a sleeve and clamp the hell out of it to hold the pipes together.
Tell them it came that way from the factory... Roush exhaust! :ph34r:
you guys need new wives
you gotta find a while to hold off buying a car until the lease is up in my opinion.. if thye are going to let you out of the lease by rolling the remaining payments into the principal of the new loan.. that's crazy.. so instead of just lease payments, you have to pay interest on it too.. and since you have to use the stealership's finance department.. they could really hose you and play with #s to make it look like they arent.. like having a balloon payment at the end so they can sell you on the monthly payment you want...

its like being upside down on your existing car loan and trying to trade up.. the dealer knows they have you by the balls and they are going to go to work on you..

some options....

get a motorcycle and use that to commute to work, save the miles on your lease for weekends so you don't go over. this is what i do to keep miles off my wrx (not to mention get 50mpg instead of 21mpg)

or you could try leasetrader (get someone to sublease)

or you could purchase a beater than you can use for the year (something like the $1200 integra i used for over 1yr/20,000 miles comes to mind) if you can score a reliable old car you are set

or take public trans a couple of days a week..

i dunno.. you gotta do something man.. you will be handing over a couple of thousand in free money to the dealer.. not good

leasing has it's good and bad points, personally the way I can get really bored with a car after 3 years is more or less why I can find it appealing. but since your still in the US, I'm sure if you don't get screwed over and the dealership works with you to get you out of it, there are Tonnnes of cars in the US that will fit all your needs and colour choices. Just make sure you get a CarFax with the car as you don't want a wreak, or a salvage title looming over your head when problems arise.
Hi----I bought a used 2005 ST with 40000kms on the clock for 13 plus tax. It has warranty to 60000btob and 100000 and 2009 powertrain. For an extra grand or so you can extend the warranty to last till the payments are done.
I suspect I paid top dollar so there may be better deals around.
Buying over leasing if you drive a lot is the way to go. I hate being prisoner to the odometer.
Well, heading to the stealership in about 15 minutes.

Hopefully this comes out well. He said he's going to "to his best".. which in salesman speak means: "do his best to get more money out of dumb customer".

And I'm all reved up to play hardball. I know what I want, what I want to pay, and what I want to pay per month. Oh, and what model & options I want.

Its going along the lines of:
~$10k MAX. (Since I'm going to probably be rolling some of the lease payments into a new loan, I want it as low as possible. He says he may be able to work something out in regards to the lease payments. Getting a very low % loan (1% FTW) from my folks for a healthy down payment is also available.)

-SVT is probably out of the question
-ST marginally out of the question. They have two 05s on the lot, both are gray though, and I can't get that color. They're listed on the website at 12 & 13k. I'm sure I could get that knocked down to around 10k though.
-3 door, NOT BLACK, 5 speed, and hopefully with a 2.3 (so an 03 or 04) but I'll settle on a zetec, which means I'll have some stuff for sale soon.
-no retarded mileage.
-not signing a frickin thing until I have some other people look it over (wife, parents, brother).
-also throwing in that i'll go to another dealership if necessary.

Contemplating taking a tube of KY with me, just in case.

I'm very nervous. I hate car salesman. I hate the whole process.
you didn't like any of my ideas to try and keep the car around on the cheap?

the process is much much easier when you roll in there with cash in hand and no other obligations (ie get your financing elsewhere) all they can do is talk price and try to sell you random all ons that you can say no to. its really hard for them to pull a fast one on you when all they can negotiate is the price of the car. thats it, just 1 friggin number.

if they see you got cash in hand and you might walk they will break down and give you a fair deal rather than lose your business altogether
Well spent about an hour with the guy.

I'm keeping my car, and changing from a lease to a loan.

We compared an 03 vs. mine (who knows how much fiddling he did with numbers, but after an hour I was worn down), and its cheaper to take the route above.

Calling ford credit monday to get it switched.

I thought about your ideas, but I don't have the cash for another car, and insurance to boot. And a motorcycle is out of the question, as per the boss.

So all is right in the world, except I'm still driving an automatic. But that can be fixed once I gather up the testicular fortitude to tackle that job.
Well, this is the best option if you want to keep the car for now, you'll just be taking a bit of a bath on the lease payments that you already put towards the car and whatever the leftover residual value is on the car...

NefCanuck
Good for you for working it out, man. You've got a nicely modded car (in terms of powertrain), it would have been a shame to see you lose it.
w00t sounds like you walked out of there with wallet in one piece and in a situation you are happy / comfortable with. good job! :thumb up: