FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Radio Code
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wanna disconnect the battery to reset the computer etc (and clean battery terminals while I'm at it), but I don;t know the code for the radio.

How do I get it?

2000 SE wagon, SPI.

If you can't put the explanation on here for obvious reasons, would someone be kind enough to PM me the how-to?

Thanks,
S.
I don't think there is a radio code, they have the removable "faceplate" instead
Hmmmm...Chiltons manual says there is a code, but it also mentions the pull out bezel in the same paragraph....

What it doesn't say is if the bezel is the security for the radio or not. It's a little ambiguous!

Anyone else know for sure?
Pretty sure there in no code for the radio, but why are you trying to reset the computer?
Well, I'm replacing the EGR tube today (busted off), and air filter. I have an OBDII to reset CEL that I have, but doesn't killing the power reset the unit completely, so it has to relearn everything? I thought that was the best way.

Apart from that, positive battery terminal has a big lump of green tinged corrosion on it..that's gotta go.

Cheers,

Scorp (learning about my foci...slowly).

There isn't a radio code on any stock focus radio that i've ever seen. You should be able to pull the battery cables to reset the ecu without any problems. I've done it a few times over the time i've owned my 2000 focus and haven't had any problems.
once the codes have been cleared, the p.c.m. has to go through the OBDII drive cycle before any adaptive learn strategies can be formed. just make sure you code is relatd to the e.g.r. issue. By the way there is a radio code, but that is only for diagnosis and ordering the correct calibration of audio systems.

good luck with the battery service.
There is no code for the focus Radios in North America, they only have codes on the European Focus models, if you look in the Hanes & Chiltons manuals they have photos of a RHD Focus in some of the pics. as for disconnecting the battery I have done it many times and removed the CD player a few times while doing things to the car and it plugs right back in and powers up every time without needing a code, it just takes about 5 minutes if you have a 6 disc Cd changer for everything to reset with CD's in the changer.
I did mine 2 weeks ago and there is no code.
Again, those manuals were done using a UK Focus and not NA.
I had the same concern when I did it, I was also thinking who the fu*k would want to still my factory stereo?
Now THAT is a set of definitive replies! Thanks all. I'll not worry about disconnecting now!

And the code was 'mis-fire on #1 cylinder'.

My post here http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=21338 explains some of it. Basically, I don't know s*** about these engines electronics etc, and this is the first time I've come across an EGR system (I'm a Brit, what can I say!), so when the EGR tube broke at the manifold end, I just plugged the manifold with a quarter, and left the tube as it was...open ended. I didn't know what the tube really did, and even after reading some things, it didn't occur to me to do the 'bypass' of the DPFE. Consequently, she's been running lean for a long while I think, due to the open end on the tube.

However, I'm thinking there might be another problem here that is giving the mis-fire...seeing as it was cyl #4 before, and now it's #1. Maybe fuel, maybe coil-pack (though the wiring looks ok). I know it's not the plug or leads, as they were changed recently, and I checked the plugs last week for gap etc.

So, now the EGR system is back as it should be (what a B**** that was to get undone...siezed real bad...thanks WD40!), I'm going to run to work tomorrow and see how she behaves, but I'm thinking it will still stall at stops when cold, and run with a real low idle when warm. Actually, that's another symptom that might help determine the problem. When she's warm, and I stop, the engine surges to about 900rpm, then drops to about 700....it does that 3 or 4 times, then settles at about 700 (700 is a guess...I just know it's low enough to vibrate). Also, the first application of throttle is sluggish.
However, at 'drive-it-like-you-stole-it' acceleration, it has no problem...joining the freeway, flooring it in 3rd is just fine. Cruising is fine. Just the low end of the band is giving trouble.

Any more help would be great, even though I know this is not a fantastic explanation of events.

Cheers,
S.
what type of plug are you using? make sure the center electrode is good and the porcelin insulation is good , no cracks. try making a salt-water solution and puuting it into a spray bottle. spray the plug wires while the engine is running and
look for 'shorts'. other than that take it to a service center.
Not sure on the plug, but they are the right ones for the car, according to the crappytire booklet thing. They are only a few months old, same for the wires.

I'll give the salt water thing a go, just in case tho, thanks.

How long does it take for the PCM to re-learn? I killed the power for 10 mins, but it still idled rough. Do I need to do a run up the freeway or something?

Cheers,
S.
Bump for 'How long does it take for the PCM to re-learn'

thx

S.