FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Big Sway In Gas Gauge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I find there's a more than normal movment in my gas gauge. It goes along with the fact that I think my focus is too hard on fuel. I had the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, and some other things that I forget changed recently on my car. My next step is to get a motorvac done ( car has 138,00km on it, so I think its due). I was wondering what might/could be wrong with the gauge (or if the mis reading gauge is making me think the car is hard on fuel) and if i should mention it when I take it in.

For example the needle sways from a bit over to a bit under a mark on the gauge ( if that makes sense)

Any comments on the motorvac also?
Do you get your car serviced at the dealership or at a jobber shop? Do you drive hard or easy?
on my '00 focus my gas gauge stopped working completely (it just read empty all the time even though I just topped off the tank) one day. it turned out a part (the fuel sender i think? definitely nothing pumping related, just gauge related) had gone bad and needed to be replaced. maybe that part is going bad in your car? sorry i dont know how you would test that

i believe the dfpe affects fuel economy also.. and that's a common failure on the focus so check that too if you think your fuel economy is really bad
Ah dealership most of the time.

I drive easy.
Does dpfe affect mpg?
After doing a little research on the dpfe sensor, I see that the odd "stumble" is the main sign that its bad (the sensor).

Guess what? I have been having "stumbles" from the focus for the last few months. Must be the Dpfe sensor.

Awesome.
Could be that the sending unit is starting to go on you.
If it is the sender unit, make sure they look at the pump as well... When my sender unit went nuts on me (Would swing from nearly empty to nearly full while sitting at a light) they replaced the fuel pump as well because "it looked weak" (This was warranty work)

NefCanuck
The pump and the sending unit are one assembly (Fuel Delivery Module). Seen a few "weak ones" in my day ;)
I'd check both the "Fuel Delivery Module" (as noted above) and DPFE for sure in your case.
A quick way to check the DPFE to to remove it from the ruber-like tubes and tap it against a hard surface. If you get water on the hard surface .... check with your dealer, there might be a updated design, or just change the sensor.
good luck
Well, brought it in. They an EEC test and power balance test, No codes on either. They also checked the DPFE and said it was fine.

What exactly is the fuel delivery module and how much do you think it would cost to replace?

Thanks.