FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Converting To Wireless
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Because I'm cheap, just ask my kids............ I am wanting to convert my old Dell desktop with a Rogers modem to a wireless set up, with the modem in one spot and the computer somewhere else. Besides a new computer, what do I need?
I am not computer expert but you will need a wireless router and a Wireless card in your desktop. You can pick them up at pretty much any electronics store. I got mine from Factory Direct.
Additionally, if you're not comfortable cracking open the case on your PC, there are USB wireless options as well. Just make sure whether you go card or USB that it comes with drivers for your operating system.

NefCanuck
We'll if you don't have a wireless modem from rogers which will be best really. I personally like D-Link, never had a problem with them and they are always cheaper than Linkys and with what I find D-Link has better signals and ranges threw lots of walls and floors.
D-Link router
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=530
D-Link Laptop Card
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=532
D-Link Desktop Card
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=531

Now Staples does have alot of these on sale right now and that is the place I suggest buying from too. Mainly for the cheaper prices.
I do have all three plus the USB D-link Card running in my house plus many other devices such as 2 Nintendoe Wii's, Xbox 360, 2 Wireless Printers and in total a minumum of 4 PC's running at one time with no leg or slowdowns with that D-link router.(I am a Rogers client as well)

My $0.02
NefCanuck,Dec 11 2009, 10:56 AM Wrote:Additionally, if you're not comfortable cracking open the case on your PC, there are USB wireless options as well.  Just make sure whether you go card or USB that it comes with drivers for your operating system.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]298364[/snapback][/right]

That is the best hassle free route

We have wireless in our office and we use a Belkin usb addapter for our desktop that never came with a wireless card.

Linksys or D-link are great routers also.....from what I remember the d-link was a bit harder to setup for a novice where as the linksys was more of a step by step deal.
you can ask rogers to replace ur modem with the modem/router combo, or you can send a pm to one of us here who is selling used but pristine condition wireless router for a very very reasonable price if you want to spend less than what the stores are charging for. sometimes the person who is selling the router will even come out to your house and hook it up for you and configure it. all you need is to buy a usb wireless nic card for your desktop or a pci wireless nic card for your desk top. it ssup to you lmk what you are looking for and we can easily help you out.

oldeguy,Dec 11 2009, 10:15 AM Wrote:Because I'm cheap, just ask my kids............ I am wanting to convert my old Dell desktop with a Rogers modem to a wireless set up, with the modem in one spot and the computer somewhere else.  Besides a new computer, what do I need?
[right][snapback]298361[/snapback][/right]

So, is your rogers modem and internal one? PM me for your mailing address and I'll send ya a wireless router in the new year.
So far, I have my rogers cable modem, and a wireless modem. I need (want?) to put the modem in one room, attached to the cable and the CPU and monitor in anothe room.
oldeguy,Dec 15 2009, 08:53 AM Wrote:So far, I have my rogers cable modem, and a wireless modem. I need (want?) to put the modem in one room, attached to the cable and the CPU and monitor in anothe room.
[right][snapback]298468[/snapback][/right]

You want a desktop Wireless card, preferably the "N" version for a stronger range
im supprised no body thought to just run a wire from one room to the next. you can just tuck the wire under the baseboards