FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Prius, Toyota's Next "new" Brand?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Prius, Toyota's next "new" brand?
Source: leftlane news
may 17, 2007

Automobile Magazine reported today that Toyota is considering creating another brand, named after its successful Prius to better market its hybrid cars.

After the 2011 model year, Toyota hybrids will no longer be sold under the Toyota nameplate, but instead under the Prius brand, the report said.

The Prius line of cars will be markedly different from their Toyota counterparts with unique sheet metal and hybrid powertrains. The Prius line will offer three different models which have been internally dubbed Prius A, Prius B and Prius C, ranging from Yaris to Camry in size. The Prius A will be introduced in 2009, "B" will be introduced in 2010 and the "C" will launched in 2011.

The exterior of the new Prius cars won't be as controversial as the first and second generation Prius, but Toyota forsees difficulty in providing a spacious interior and trunk space because of the size of the battery packs, meaning designs will have to be somewhat unconventional.
Mark it down as the continuation of the downfall. It's getting bigger, like GM did.
Somehow I can't see Toyota bothering to create a "Prius" line up here in Canada... Hell they utterly refuse to bring the Scion line to Canada, why would they bother creating a separate line here to market their hybrids?

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,May 17 2007, 01:03 PM Wrote:Somehow I can't see Toyota bothering to create a "Prius" line up here in Canada...  Hell they utterly refuse to bring the Scion line to Canada, why would they bother creating a separate line here to market their hybrids?

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]238781[/snapback][/right]
Because we'll buy them. Well, some will, not I. Gas/electric no good for me
NefCanuck,May 17 2007, 01:03 PM Wrote:Somehow I can't see Toyota bothering to create a "Prius" line up here in Canada...  Hell they utterly refuse to bring the Scion line to Canada, why would they bother creating a separate line here to market their hybrids?

NefCanuck

You Can get a Scion in Canada, the Toyota dealership in Guelph is selling the Xc, and Xb, not the Xa yet.
Frost__2001,May 18 2007, 07:18 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,May 17 2007, 01:03 PM Wrote:Somehow I can't see Toyota bothering to create a "Prius" line up here in Canada...  Hell they utterly refuse to bring the Scion line to Canada, why would they bother creating a separate line here to market their hybrids.

NefCanuck

You Can get a Scion in Canada, the Toyota dealership in Guelph is selling the Xc, and Xb, not the Xa yet.
[right][snapback]238846[/snapback][/right]

That's interesting, but it's still only a dealership doing it. Toyota Canada isn't behind it is it? Toyota Canada seems reluctant to do it because of the size of our market to introduce another auto lineup with the associated costs etc. given that the Scion lineup is aimed at a very narrow demographic.

NefCanuck
Yeah, a VERY limited number of dealers are selling Scions in Canada but in the States you can't spit without hitting one.

The Xc reminds me of a Saturn Ion (ScION?) and the XB reminds me of a Honda... uhm... Brick. Whatever that ugly SUV thing is called... the one that looks like it's made out of Lego. Element, that's it.