FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cr-v Knocks Ford Explorer Out Of #1 Suv Spot In Us
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
CR-V knocks Ford Explorer out of #1 SUV spot in the US
Source: Leftlane news
May 16, 2007

For most of the past 15 years, the Ford Explorer has been America's top selling SUV. This year, the the Honda CR-V is number one, and the Explorer has dropped to fourth place.

"That category of traditional SUVs has clearly tumbled from its height," Ford sales analyst George Pipas said in an interview with Bloomberg. In 2002, automakers sold about 3 million truck-based SUVs in the United States. Pipas says that number will be "less than 2 million this year."

Meanwhile, sales of car-based crossover SUVs continue to climb. Sales of crossovers in the U.S. grew 15.2 percent through April 2007 to 893,441, while truck-based SUV sales dropped 8.8 percent to 564,417, according to Autodata Corp. The top three SUVs so far this year are all crossovers.

The CR-V was redesigned late last year. It is 15 inches shorter, 2 inches narrower, and 1,000 lbs lighter than an Explorer. A recent report suggested the next-generation Ford Explorer would be a crossover based on the same platform as the new Taurus.

However, you probably don't see too many CR-V's out on the Prairies or the American Mid-west. I really don't see why, in my humble opinion, why soccer moms, and urbanites need a $%^$#$$ SUV. I'll apologize now if I offend anyone.
just so they can fit in with the rest of the crowd thats why :)
oldeguy,May 16 2007, 12:46 PM Wrote:However, you probably don't see too many CR-V's out on the Prairies or the American Mid-west. I really don't see why, in my humble opinion, why soccer moms, and urbanites need a $%^$#$$ SUV. I'll apologize now if I offend anyone.
[right][snapback]238618[/snapback][/right]

my theory is that most americans are too fat to get in and out of a real car.. ever notice that front seats in mainstream american cars.. even the ones that are supposedly sporty... don't have ANY side or thigh bolsters?!

they need the suv just to fit into it!!