FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Svt Fuel Pump Install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My fuel pump may be going to die. It was 32 degrees out last week and about 2 hours after fuelling up, my car died while going about 60 kph, hit the clutch, car fired back up only to die again moments later. Repeated several times with each time the car dying quicker. The fuel cap light was going on and off as well as the trac control light? Limped to a side street and called for a tow. After sitting for 1/2 hour, started good and ran good. Dealership could not replicate the problem the next day (20 degrees out) and found no codes or fuel pressure problems. Car seems ok the last two days, but it has been cooler out.

Questions
Am I correct in thinking this is the fuel pump?
Will this pump likely die the next scorching hot day?
How do you access the fuel pump on the SVTF? Drop the tank or interior access?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

03 SVTF, 25000 kms

was the gas cap on tight?
Has the fuel filter been changed?
Could be it was dirty gas?

25K seems very low for the pump to be replaced.
You are right it could be the Filter , I just replaced them on my cars a few weeks back and last wednesday it was hot here in Montreal and my car did exactly what you car did and on top of it my idle was acting very crazy. My car died twice on the highway... :( I went to ford with my 2000 ZX3 with 183,000Km and they replaced the fuel pump under warranty.... ;) He said the 00 ZX3 has a 10 years unlimited millage warranty on the fuel pump.
Gas cap was tight. Fuel filter has not been replaced. I would think the gas was ok. My idle was a little weird when it was running bad, sitting at 1500 at idle and drop and surging. I had a job interview that day and was thankfully on my way home from it when it happened. Fuel filter will be replaced and I will wait for the next hot day! Thanks for ideas.
Fuel pump is accessed by dropping the tank
Problem occurred again! Another hot day and all symptoms returned. Drove it to the dealership in the morning and they told me the SVT fuel pump is about $500 and will take a week from the US. The fuel filter was replaced today and will see if it makes a difference. Why is the stock Zetec fuel pump $210 and the SVT is $500? Is it that much better? They are different, but come on, more than double the price!
IIRC it has significantly more flow then the regular zetec fuel pump, that's probably why they gouge for it. Damn that sucks Kevin, I've got 20,8xx kms as of this morning and I have never had a similar problem in this heat....maybe talk to Matt Kozminsky (sp?) @ Keystone (I assume this is the dealership you're taking it to) he used to and may still be the SVT sales manager. I know you bought your car late like I did and it can't be very long out of the 3/60k warranty. Maybe he can help you out.
Any mods done to the car that runs ie hot exhaust close to a fuel line?
No mods that would effect the fuel lines.

The fuel filter I took off did not seem to be that dirty, but who knows.

My warranty ended in mid March and I have never had a great experience with Keystone Ford since the day I bought the car, so I am not going across town for something this simple. And they were the highest cost for the fuel pump of the Ford dealers I called anyways. Anywho, the pump is ordered, and I should have it in a week.
does the SVT fuel pump flow that much more? hrmm intresting I could not find a walbro intank for the focus... or I would say save 300 bucks!
A quick Google of SVT FUEL PUMP brings up a couple of discussions on the stangnet forums. I quickly browsed and found a few part numbers, but some say the SVT fuel pump flows 185lph, and another says 255lph. This ebay link was also in the thread....helluv a lot cheaper than $500cdn!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustan...sspagenameZWDVW
Yeap... brand new OEM SVT fuel pump on Ebay goes for around $75.00 to $90.00 USD.

You're getting the symptom of a bad fuel pump , problem occur when it very warm outside. It's sad tho.. your car has only 25K , it's very early for a fuel pump to go bad.....
Mine did the same thing two summers ago. I still had warrenty. The fuel pump and a sensor on the fuel rail was changed and fixed the problem. This wa my second fuel pump.
It must be a silver 5 door thing!
I don't know if that ebay pump is the correct pump. The svt is listed the same in the general ford parts system. If you provide the parts dept with your VIN, then they get the SVT specific parts list and that is why there is confusion over the SVT pump being the same on some sites. Evan the local SVT dealership gave me the PFS-204 price and part # until I gave them the VIN and then they told me , sorry more $$$.
New pump is in and no problems. Got a great deal on parts and service since my old neighbor is a service writer at the local dealership. Only cost me $485 total. To clear up any of the poor info regarding the SVT fuel pump, I offer the following:

Part # on my old pump - 2M5U-9H307-AB
Part # on the new pump - 2M5Z-9H307-AD (also known as PFS-162)

Kevin

ps- I got the job mentioned in the first post and now work for the MB gov't!
Well it only took 2 weeks and the problem is back. After 20 minutes of driving, car died after filling up near home. Thought maybe it was a fluke and beat on it on the highway and it became more frequent. Limped it home. Same symptoms as before, no codes but I did notice the oil temp gauge was way up there, which I had not noticed during the previous incidents. Also, when it was at the dealer, they said the MAS needs cleaning. Anybody have any ideas for loss of power and stalling at speed? IAC, TPS, plug wires, plugs, O2, ... something. I need help before the car gets in an "accident" and goes away.

ps - I guess I have a SVT fuel pump that probably works fine if any one is looking!