FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Got Some Majik Juice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: 0510071905.jpg]

booya!

right next to craptastic CA spec 91 octane is 100 octane racing fuel!!!!

$5.39/gallon for the 100 octane and the price for 100 octane doesn't change (that i've seen).. so when 91 is $4.49/gallon in SF.. 100 octane is a sweet deal!!

i dont think i am getting more power (don't think the pcm is slick enough to up the boost for me)... but part throttle response is better (seems like the ignition timing is being advanced) so i guess the unsubstantiated posts that the pcm can optimize up to 96 octane may have some merit?!

Nice!

Needs a retune / boost controller then?
Heheh yeah I can get that here too.. I used to run it in my GTX, and boy did it STINK!

Gas prices are totally retarded now too.. I thought we were having it bad here, and i'm really glad I'm no in CA.. jebus!

Remember, don't drop you wallet!
yeah you can get that at a few places in the states, mostly along the larger high ways... I used it once in NY state... the lady at the counter said to me you know how much that gas is a gallen right ? I was like yeah. it's still cheaper then regular in Canada lol. (was before Katrna)
wish that was here.... :(
Yeah but what the heck is in 100 octane gas? :blink:

I'd be afraid that whatever they use to boost the octane would probably not be healthy to be around for the long term :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,May 11 2007, 12:33 PM Wrote:Yeah but what the heck is in 100 octane gas? :blink:
[right][snapback]238116[/snapback][/right]

Its for his WRX which is 91 minimum, loves 94 and I am sure really gets off on 100.
I don't think it can take advantage of anything more than 96 if I recall from the Subaru forums. You'd have to get it tuned.

The STI in Japan I believe runs on 96 octane, so the tuning is only good up to that.
Most gas stations in Europe have 98 and In Austria and Germany every gas station has it.
Aka,May 11 2007, 07:14 PM Wrote:I don't think it can take advantage of anything more than 96 if I recall from the Subaru forums. You'd have to get it tuned.
[right][snapback]238125[/snapback][/right]

that's what i read too.. so i went with 9.5gallons of 100 and 4.5 gallons of 91.. that should result in some octane > 93 haha

as for chipping, etc as nos suggested.. i dunno how i feel about that.. i really like the idea of being able to wail on the car and know that it will be stone reliable as long as i am shifting cleanly.. 280hp crank is supposed to be the upper limit of what the engine can tolerate long term so i would rather have that 50hp 'buffer' in place rather than get a fraction more performance and a lot more worry. i was driving 5k-7k rpm, full boost full throttle in 2nd,3rd and 4th for about 45min non stop (sucking down gas at appx 7mpg (eat that EPA mileage ratings!!).. EGTs never got higher than 1550F, oil pressure rock solid at 90PSI..

the car i was trying to follow.. a chipped 335i making 340whp.. was a total beast.. when it was technical i could keep at his bumper (especially in tight low speed corner exit when the awd fairies are at their best) but when it straightened out.. he would walk on me like i wasn't accelerating :ph34r:

D-Dub,May 11 2007, 07: Wrote:Most gas stations in Europe have 98 and In Austria and Germany every gas station has it.
[right][snapback]238126[/snapback][/right]

is that measured using the same method as us? i think they use like.. RON or something.. and we use (R+N)/2 .. i dunno much about that.. but i do know its not apples to oranges and a 93 in our pumps would be a higher rating using RON
D-Dub,May 11 2007, 02: Wrote:Most gas stations in Europe have 98 and In Austria and Germany every gas station has it.
[right][snapback]238126[/snapback][/right]

They rate their octane differently I understood? :huh: so that in effect their 98 octane rating was more like our 91 rating...

Found it, Wiki entry on calculating octane ratings: Wiki entry - octane ratings

NefCanuck
Those 335is are flat-out RIDICULOUS.

Naz, I never knew they were rated so low (in long-term) for the WRXs. Is that the 2.0L then?
NefCanuck,May 11 2007, 01:33 PM Wrote:Yeah but what the heck is in 100 octane gas? :blink:

I'd be afraid that whatever they use to boost the octane would probably not be healthy to be around for the long term :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]238116[/snapback][/right]
We use 100 octane in the plane. Nothing more harmful in it than normal gas.

100 octane has little benefit to anyone that isn't boosted or running over 11 to 1 compression AND tuned for it.
NOS2Go4Me,May 11 2007, 07:52 PM Wrote:Those 335is are flat-out RIDICULOUS.

Naz, I never knew they were rated so low (in long-term) for the WRXs. Is that the 2.0L then?
[right][snapback]238130[/snapback][/right]

yup 2.0L motor.. super rich factory tune, no low end.. booya :( haha

i am getting that 280hp upper bound from this site.. http://www.spdusa.com/stock_engine_mods.htm

frankly have no clue if that figure is accurate or not.. i dont know too much about modifying the wrx.. all i have bothered to learn is the way best way to modify my car is to sell it and purchase a faster one.. haha
Or drop in the STi powertrain ;)

Prodrive Stage 3 FTW. Still meaning to do that, damn me and my expensive taste, and funny enough it also would bring it to that 280HP number safely and for the long term. Lets not forget that "only" 280 is quite a bit and the thing hauls as is anyway.
update on the majik juice... i ran out and went back to 91 octane since i was too lazy to drive 40 min one way to get 100 octane.

full throttle/full boost up a hill i got a split second of detonation.. i guess the ignition timing was still set for high octane.. doh. seems like i have to lay off this stuff for good unless i am willing to stockpile fuel in my parking spot (building mgmt will prob not be pleased)... deto sucks no matter how short it lasts :(
Couldn't you just disconnect your battery to reset your ECU?
OMG BE CAREFULL!!! some of that 100 octane is leaded fuel... not good for valve trains designed for unleaded!!!

I have heard horor stories of leaded 1oo octane in a modern 4cyl

why does it matter some may ask?

the lead acts as a lubricant,,, todays modern unleaded blends have teflon to lubricte parts... it's like using the wrong weight oil in your car... it might work but it will burn parts out pre maturly
Pages: 1 2