FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Canadians Getting Gouged For Gas, Study Says
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Canadians getting gouged for gas, study says
Source: Canadiandriver
May 11, 2007

Ottawa, Ontario - Canadians have been paying too much for gas for nearly two years, according to an analysis released by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA).

The analysis, by economist and CCPA research associate Hugh Mackenzie, calculates how much Canadians should be paying for gas, and finds that since August 2005, prices have consistently exceeded levels that would be justified on the basis of cost and normal profit margins.

Mackenzie says that drivers in Toronto are currently being overcharged 15 cents per litre; Halifax is 19 cents; Winnipeg is 21 cents; Edmonton is 18 cents; and Vancouver overpays by 27 cents per litre.

In order to help Canadians know what they should be paying for gas, and to know when they are being overcharged, CCPA has developed an online gasoline price "gouge meter" based on Mackenzie's calculations. The site can be found at PolicyAlternatives.ca or GasGouge.ca.

And?
Short of walking, what can we do about it?
2 years? its a lot more than that..
I dont understand how we have so much oil that the states has to dip into our supply, yet we have to pay more then them for gas?!
no s*** :rolleyes:
ANTHONYD,May 11 2007, 09:40 AM Wrote:no s*** :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]238079[/snapback][/right]

Exactly....I read the title on MSN.

"You had to have a f***in study to determine that?"

:rolleyes:
So long as our gas / oil companies can make more by selling more volume to the states... they will. And then because there's less "supply" for us here, they charge us more.

We're screwed so long as Canadians come second to Americans in the minds of Canadian fuel retailers.
More Taxes in Canada?
Y'know, I really think this one should win the "How frickin' obvious" award...

Gas companies nail us and the more they nail us, the harder we get hit by the feds (remember folks, GST isn't a fixed cost like the excise taxes are)

It's enough to make you want to cry in your overtaxed beer :( :lol:

NefCanuck
well one thing that is going on is their are starting to realize this in the govenerment finally... so who knows they just might be able to do something like make a ginat tax on the oil companys for making huge profits, this si what the states might be doing... doubt it will pass but who knows.
even with the states paying 3.10 per gallon that works out to around .77 cents a litre. converted it equals .85 cents Canadian... what are we paying.. around 1.09... Last year when our high reached $1.28 in Ontario theirs was still only at $3.18 ( approx .79 u.s per litre) (price in Sault Michigan, I dont know about other palces)

Now they are actually seeing some major hikes there too some places seeing around 3.35 or .92 Canadian per litre...still better than what we see...

we've always been getting crapped on when it comes to gas..Its a sad case when we consider anything under a buck to be a gift from god..I hope they didnt waste too much money on this study......

And all the figures are approximate... point is they would have to pay around 4.10 to feel our pain...
its the government being greedy by having 30 to 40% of the gas taxed. Diesel is only 94.5 here while Gas is 117.9. makes me want to buy a diesel car.
Speaking of overtaxed beer, My girlfriend just passed through New Hampshire not to long ago. Gas was hmm 2.85 a gallon i think but the one that made me cry...

1 66er (half gallon) of smirnoff
1 66er (half gallon) of rum
2 1 litre Baja Rosa

50 dollars!!!!!!

Just one 66er of rum here is more then 60.

Bah.

NefCanuck,May 11 2007, 11:24 AM Wrote:Y'know, I really think this one should win the "How frickin' obvious" award...

Gas companies nail us and the more they nail us, the harder we get hit by the feds (remember folks, GST isn't a fixed cost like the excise taxes are)

It's enough to make you want to cry in your overtaxed beer :( :lol:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]238084[/snapback][/right]