FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Surge/hesitation When On/off Throttle 2000 Focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am finding that when I press on the gas, usually around idle to 2,000rpm, I get a bit of surge and then maybe hesitation. When I let of the gas, I also often feel something similar. Basically when the engine speed is going up or down, it is no longer smooth and linear.

I thought maybe my DPFE was toast, but I don't have any hesitation at constant throttle. I'm going to disconnect the DPFE from the EGR this week just to check if this is the culprit.

I have a manual trans so I am having more trouble doing any smooth shifts. I remember a year or two ago, I could drive along on a side street in first gear, idle to say 4,000rpm, then ease of the gas and smoothly slow back to idle. Not anymore...

I also found last month when it was cold out, things were smoother. Not a lot, but definitely better. As the weather is warming up, the surge/hesitation seems to be getting worse.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
walk0080,May 10 2007, 10:20 AM Wrote:I am finding that when I press on the gas, usually around idle to 2,000rpm, I get a bit of surge and then maybe hesitation. When I let of the gas, I also often feel something similar. Basically when the engine speed is going up or down, it is no longer smooth and linear.

I thought maybe my DPFE was toast, but I don't have any hesitation at constant throttle. I'm going to disconnect the DPFE from the EGR this week just to check if this is the culprit.

I have a manual trans so I am having more trouble doing any smooth shifts. I remember a year or two ago, I could drive along on a side street in first gear, idle to say 4,000rpm, then ease of the gas and smoothly slow back to idle. Not anymore...

I also found last month when it was cold out, things were smoother. Not a lot, but definitely better. As the weather is warming up, the surge/hesitation seems to be getting worse.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
[right][snapback]237933[/snapback][/right]
It might be your Throttle Position Sensor. If it is, you may, if you have a Zetec, need a new Throttle Body.
This may not be related, but around town I get about ~18-22MPG, and 30-40MPG cruising on the highways ~80-100km/hr. About normal throughout the life of the car.

I also had the fuel pump recall done in 2005, and had the fuel filter and spark plugs replaced around 97,000km (100,000km service). I have only about 112,000km right now. When the fuel pump was dying, I had sever power loss around hard right-hand on-ramps - not having that issue now.

The engine idle is solid ~800rpm.
My car is having the same exact problem ( 00 ZX3 ) since about 3 months and yesterday when we had the first good warm weather 26*+ it died on me twice , idle get stuck at 3K , surge when hitting the gaz pedal etc.

So this morning I headed up to my local Ford dealership to find out that my car with 183,000KM and 7 years after date of manufacturing is still under warranty for the fuel pump , matter of fact the pump is cover for 10 years with unlimiteed KMs for 00 & 01 Models.

Problem is worst when weather gets warmer. I'm picking up my car tonight , I hope it will have solved my problem but I'm pretty sure it will. :)
hmm.

All hoses still in tact?

Still it sounds like a Pooched DPFE.
Give the MAF sensor a shot of throttle body cleaner this week. That may help as well.
walk0080,May 10 2007, 11:07 AM Wrote:I also had the fuel pump recall done in 2005.
[right][snapback]237942[/snapback][/right]

Never mind what I just wrote , we were posting at the same time... :P
To add on this , mine was changed ( 2005 ) on my car but not for the new updated one so they are changing it again for the new model. B)
http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.php...8&hl=hesitation

Check it out...

I know the pics arent attached anymore, but look at the 3 or 4 wires going to your coil pack. right where the connector plugs into the pack, you will see some wires corroding...you'll actually be able to see the wire exposed.

The kit is $50, and you can do it yourslef if you know how to use shrink tube, and a soldering gun.

The plug that im talking about is where the yellow circle is...

[Image: DSCF0209.jpg]
Let us know the outcome B)
I tried to get my damn fuel pump recalled....no way I could get it done not once they saw my car....lol they had a billion things to blame for lack of fuel pressure.
hardk0re,May 10 2007, 11:43 AM Wrote:I tried to get my damn fuel pump recalled....no way I could get it done not once they saw my car....lol they had a billion things to blame for lack of fuel pressure.
[right][snapback]237950[/snapback][/right]

lol, thats why I had mine done BEFORE the boost went in. Im glad I did to!
All the vacuum hoses looked intact. Damn, I forgot to check the coil pack.

Well I yanked off and plugged the tube going to the EGR and I would have to say there is quite a dramatic difference. Even when letting off the throttle, things are a lot smoother. It's not perfect, but then again, my car is not brand new anymore.

I guess I need a new DPFE. I should replace it before my upcoming 5,000km road trip. ;) Any cheap places in Toronto or I am stuck calling a few dealerships for the best price?

BTW, I followed the directions on the Focus Hacks site:
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=66
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=80