FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cracked Thermostat Housing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I brought in my car to Ford for some service today. I knew I had a small crack in the Thermostat housing so I asked them what it would cost to fix.

They quoted me over $500!!!!!

How much is this part??

The parts alone are $200?? and labour to bring it over $500??

I told them that I would probably change it myself.

What has anyone else been quoted for this part??
its a pretty common thing....i had mine cracked when i was gunning it on the highway
but anyways pick one up from Ford Contour (they have better Thermostat Housings) and do it yourself at home....its pretty straight forward fix.
they should of really made this one a recall
dBlast,May 3 2007, 10:09 AM Wrote:I brought in my car to Ford for some service today.  I knew I had a small crack in the Thermostat housing so I asked them what it would cost to fix.

They quoted me over $500!!!!!

How much is this part??

The parts alone are $200?? and labour to bring it over $500??

I told them that I would probably change it myself.

What has anyone else been quoted for this part??
[right][snapback]237232[/snapback][/right]

WTF, thats insane. Take it someplace else.
NikiterZTS,May 3 2007, 10:12 AM Wrote:its a pretty common thing....i had mine cracked when i was on the highway
but anyways pick one up from Ford Contour (they have better Thermostat Housings) and do it yourself at home....its pretty straight forward fix.
they should of really made this one a recall
[right][snapback]237233[/snapback][/right]
If your at all mechanically inclined its real straight forward. I think the part is $50-60 at ford for the focus.
hardk0re,May 3 2007, 10:48 AM Wrote:If your at all mechanically inclined its real straight forward.  I think the part is $50-60 at ford for the focus.
[right][snapback]237242[/snapback][/right]

They told me that the parts were about $200 of which $30 was for something else (which I didn't quite understand over the phone.) He said that this was standard Ford pricing that all dealers use.

I will probably do this myself, I just need to verify a price for the housing. They had it in stock, I not sure if I want to pay $200 for it from them.
A thermostat housing from ford shouldn't cost you anywhere near $200. I think i paid $75 or so with tax for the part from ford.
hardk0re,May 3 2007, 11:48 AM Wrote:If your at all mechanically inclined its real straight forward.  I think the part is $50-60 at ford for the focus.
[right][snapback]237242[/snapback][/right]

yeah...i think its closer to $70 for some reason, no way its $200, I did mine last year when the engine was out. very straight forward, even more easier when its out of the car :P
its easy to DIY.

i will be 200$ or less. I think i was quoted 150 for just the housing, and then its like 15$ for that big O ring.

When I pulled this off my SVT it was only like 3 bolts, and some hose clamps. (i think the non-SVT is similar). how-to's do exist for this problem.

what i suggest is pulling it off to confirm that the housing is cracked, sometimes just the O-ring is pooched and thats was causes the coolant leak.
go to the scrapyard and get one from a contour or Mystique.....$5 and 30 minutes to change.....saves a s*** load of cash....
I ended up buying the part from the Ford parts department for $72 plus tax.

They must markup their parts over 100 percent when the walk it over to the service department. <_<