FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Opp: Inspects 1 Million Cars In Seatbelt Campaign
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OPP inspects more than one million vehicles in Ontario-wide seatbelt campaign
05-02-2007

Orillia, Ontario - The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) made more than one million seatbelt and child seat checks province-wide during its two-week annual spring seatbelt campaign, which ran April 16 to 30.

The OPP carried out 1,110,144 inspections, up from 802,947 during the 2006 campaign. Officers laid 13,367 charges for non-compliance in 2007, compared to 9,194 last year. During the campaign in 2007, there were 18 fatal collisions; of the 11 where seatbelts were available to occupants, they were not wearing a seatbelt 36 per cent of the time.

"Officers did an outstanding job throughout the campaign," says OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino. "I appreciate their efforts to protect the people of Ontario. While it's encouraging to see that more than 90 per cent of motorists comply with the law, it's distressing to see that a small minority still doesn't get the message. A disproportionate number of people not buckled up continue to die in collisions. Many of those deaths could have, and should have been prevented."

Fantino says that under the OPP's new Provincial Traffic Safety Program, traffic safety and enforcement is the job of more than 5,000 uniform officers, not just those regularly assigned to traffic enforcement.

During vehicle stops, the OPP found more than just non-compliance with seatbelt and child seat laws; in one inspection in the Greater Toronto Area, officers doing a routine inspection found two loaded handguns in a vehicle. The fine for not wearing a seatbelt is $110 and two demerit points
I can't believe their are STILL people not wearing belts ?? *uck I've written off two cars and wouldn't be here if I didn't have my belt on ?? And the kids not properly seated in ? ....... no comment.
Yeah it's the kids that get me too ... and it's funny how the cops have different attitudes about it.

I was at a stop light in the middle of three lanes ... on my right was a cop car and on my left was minivan with kids jumping all over the place including the back where there weren't any seats ... I rolled the window down got the cops attention and told him about it ... he basically said "whatever" and continued on his way.

dlb,May 2 2007, 02:43 PM Wrote:And the kids not properly seated in ? ....... no comment.
[right][snapback]237099[/snapback][/right]
dlb,May 2 2007, 01:43 PM Wrote:I can't believe their are STILL people not wearing belts ??  *uck I've written off two cars and wouldn't be here if I didn't have my belt on ??  And the kids not properly seated in ? ....... no comment.
[right][snapback]237099[/snapback][/right]

Amen, I'd be a dead duck if not for my seatbelt (The 3 weeks worth of bruising post accident was proof enough of that <_<)

I wish I would have video of my accident (rolled the car twice and would have been flung out the windscreen like a shot put minus a seatbelt) and could show it to these lame brains, if that doesn't wake them up, then nothing will and they'll Darwin themselves out of the gene pool soon enough :angry:

NefCanuck