FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Anyone Ever Seal Their Own Driveway?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm thinking of doing this over the weekend.

Has anyone ever done their own driveway and if so...have any tips or tricks?
I've done my parents driveway...if you can do it at sometime in the day where your in the shade, I'd strongly recommend you do that.
Flofocus,May 1 2007, 09:52 AM Wrote:I've done my parents driveway...if you can do it at sometime in the day where your in the shade, I'd strongly recommend you do that.
[right][snapback]236920[/snapback][/right]

Is the sun not good for it????

Or is it because of the heat?

I've seen some home-jobs turn out REALLY well.
Its because of the heat. I don't tolerate it to well...love the weather, just can't handle it for long periods of time.

My work always came out nice....not that hard to do at all.
I have a feeling you're a little like me Nate. A perfectionist.

Last year I had a company come and do it for 55 bucks. They managed to get over spray on the sidewalk, road and my lawn. Not to mention they spilt about a frisbee sized amount on my lawn and killed it. The dirt under the grass was so fuuucked it too most of the year to get my grass to grow there. I caled them to complain and NEVER heard back.

Skrew it... I'm doing my own.
$55 bucks? wow...thats good..guess it depends on the size of the driveway.

My parenst can put 20 cars in their driveway. it sucks when I go over and see those jugs of black s***, because I know what the next question out of the old mans mouth is. :lol:
Flofocus,May 1 2007, 10:35 AM Wrote:$55 bucks? wow...thats good..guess it depends on the size of the driveway.

My parenst can put 20 cars in their driveway. it sucks when I go over and see those jugs of black s***, because I know what the next question out of the old mans mouth is.  :lol:
[right][snapback]236929[/snapback][/right]

Hey Son.... you know I love you right?

SEAL MY DRIVEWAY!
Times like that I'm glad I'm only good for PC troubleshooting for my dad...

Esp. 'cause this year his driveway really needs some TLC :ph34r: (and that's before the town tears up the foot of the driveway to finally close the open storm sewers on his street :rolleyes: )

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,May 1 2007, 12:23 PM Wrote:Times like that I'm glad I'm only good for PC troubleshooting for my dad...[right][snapback]236948[/snapback][/right]
You think that now, Dan -- but wait until you see the new sealer spreader attachment he got you for the cane.....

No escaping teh old man....:lol:
oh hey.. forgot to mention this earlier, but I knew a guy in the paving business.. he said sealing the driveway isn't necessarily the best thing for the pavement.

Then again, he was in the pavement business, so go only knows how kosher he was.

Anyways, you can easily do your driveway in about an hour..it's in good shape, so you could get by with a bucket of sealant and a squeegee.. granted, your driveway will look a bit more 'plasticky' than the spray. but it'll look consistent.

You can do it with good ol' fashion rollers as well, just takes a bit longer.

I used to do my parents by pouring out strips of sealant, squeegeeing thin, and then a quick rollering... took about 2 hours for a 6 car driveway.
darkpuppet,May 1 2007, 06:17 PM Wrote:oh hey.. forgot to mention this earlier, but I knew a guy in the paving business.. he said sealing the driveway isn't necessarily the best thing for the pavement.

Then again, he was in the pavement business, so go only knows how kosher he was.

Anyways, you can easily do your driveway in about an hour..it's in good shape, so you could get by with a bucket of sealant and a squeegee.. granted, your driveway will look a bit more 'plasticky' than the spray. but it'll look consistent.

You can do it with good ol' fashion rollers as well, just takes a bit longer.

I used to do my parents by pouring out strips of sealant, squeegeeing thin, and then a quick rollering... took about 2 hours for a 6 car driveway.
[right][snapback]236972[/snapback][/right]

I'm not too worried about the pavement as Jen and I won;t be there much longer :lol:

Squeegee huh? :blink:

I'll have to check that method for sure!
OAC_Sparky,May 1 2007, 04:21 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,May 1 2007, 12:23 PM Wrote:Times like that I'm glad I'm only good for PC troubleshooting for my dad...[right][snapback]236948[/snapback][/right]
You think that now, Dan -- but wait until you see the new sealer spreader attachment he got you for the cane.....

No escaping teh old man....:lol:
[right][snapback]236966[/snapback][/right]

:rofl: No kidding... heck, once the town starts tearing up his street his place is off limits anyways... No way am I risking my car on the 2 by 4's that the town will give him to go from his driveway to the street :ph34r:

NefCanuck
I'll be doing mine again this year. I use the acrylic Black Knight stuff from CDN Tire. Comes in small resealable pails. It takes about two hours to do my driveway, but it is two car lengths long (I like it thorough :) ). I just roll it on with the proper roller refill.

The big thing I have found is prep is key (same as detailing). I sweep my driveway, pull the grass, edge it, then pressure wash it clean the night before. Then, once it is light and the sun is hitting the driveway, I start rolling it on. The warmer it is, the quicker it dries, which is good and bad. Good cause it dries quick, bad cause you have to work quicker. :)

Good luck!

Ryan
great tips.

Thanks guys!

wish me luck, I'm buying it today.
Here's more info, but I'm not gonna say 'repost'.

May,2006 FOCUSCANADA.NET
What is the point of sealing your driveway? Asphalt is sealed. With asphalt. Unless you are spilling large quantities of solvents or want it too look black, I think it is a scam. I have heard this is very popular in Ontario though.
CanadaSVT,May 2 2007, 04:37 PM Wrote:Here's more info, but I'm not gonna say 'repost'.

May,2006 FOCUSCANADA.NET
[right][snapback]237108[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the link.

Reason I'm doing it is because while I was out last year one afternoon, my lovely wife hired a guy to do the driveway with a sprayer.

He killed the lawn, got s*** all over my sidewalk and neighbours lawn, and it's a streaky job.

I'm covering up someone else's poor job.
Flofocus,May 1 2007, 02:35 PM Wrote:$55 bucks? wow...thats good..guess it depends on the size of the driveway.

My parenst can put 20 cars in their driveway. it sucks when I go over and see those jugs of black s***, because I know what the next question out of the old mans mouth is.  :lol:
[right][snapback]236929[/snapback][/right]

Must be some small driveways in the GTA tongue.gif

Its a 1/2 day job minimum, really depends on the size of driveway and how much cleaning you have to do. We resealed my fathers driveway last year (can fit about 10 cars) and it took 1/2 a day easy.

Your Dads driveway get longer ? 20 cars ..... :o <_< (your original post below :lol: )