FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Replaced Airfilter Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so I figure its about time to swap out the airfilter on my Steeda SRI today and so this morning I wash and clean the original filter in preparation to swap the thing with the replacement I bought at Steeda about 5K ago. First thing I learned... that blue oil goes everywhere... it looked like I had committed a serial murder of about a half dozen Smurfs :rolleyes:

Go downstairs with my toolkit determined to do it myself (Last time I got help and burned some bridges while the person helping me skinned their knuckles :ph34r:)

Got the cover off and loosened up the filter that was on there... then comes the first hurdle as nothing wants to move away far enough initially, I end up trying to get the filter out without moving the frame around it that comes with the SRI... all that accomplished was dinging the filter that was on there a bit (Not bad enough that I won't re-use it again, but a few areas look dinged now) eventually the frame does move and I can swap filters, of course that leads to me tightening the clamp while trying to hold everything in position with only my bad right hand... mild muttering insues

Where I really start cursing is trying to get that evil cover for the SRI back on, I swear that thing was designed by Lucifer himself, unless you tighten bolts in a specific order, you'll never get the damn thing back on <_< then I lose one of the bolts for the cover... much cursing ensues at this point, I've spent over two hours swapping the filter and carved up my hands real nice.

I decided to cut my losses and get to the store... but of course I spot the bolt as I backed up and just had to get it on another 15 minutes lost to the Chinese finger puzzle top.

But I managed it and the car seems a damn sight happier for it (As I mentioned earlier I did ding the other filter... I didn't actually compress any of the material but did slight damage to the comb protecting the filter... it's still safe to use right? :huh:)

Went to the Beer Store and bought my reward for all my hard work ;)

Maybe next time I can get it down to an hour :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
Well i'll give you a call when I have to clean mine ( I went to order it from Steeda but they were closed) I'll bring the beer
funny thing is I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago and I already have noticed a huge improvment in gas milage, performance, and the air quality inside seems better... lol although I did my install in about 5 minutes lol..
Frost__2001,Apr 28 2007, 09:15 PM Wrote:funny thing is I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago and I already have noticed a huge improvment in gas milage, performance, and the air quality inside seems better... lol although I did my install in about 5 minutes lol..
[right][snapback]236686[/snapback][/right]

Volant FTW!!!
Damn Daniel, if you needed a hand all you had to do was say so.

:lol:
OAC_Sparky,Apr 28 2007, 09:19 PM Wrote:Damn Daniel, if you needed a hand all you had to do was say so.

:lol:
[right][snapback]236688[/snapback][/right]

:lol: I was bound and determined to make the attempt... all it's cost me is hands that look like I shoved 'em in the shredder at work :P

Any recommendation on mechanic's gloves? :ph34r:

NefCanuck
mechanic's gloves are just going to get in the way even more, i used a pair for about a month when i was doing stuff on the car, and they didn't help me one bit.

take pride in the fact that you did it yourself.
FocusGuy7476,Apr 29 2007, 12:04 AM Wrote:mechanic's gloves are just going to get in the way even more, i used a pair for about a month when i was doing stuff on the car, and they didn't help me one bit.

take pride in the fact that you did it yourself.
[right][snapback]236696[/snapback][/right]

the worst advise ever indeed..... :lol:
Do it yourself but do it safely and without any pain

Mechanic's gloves saved my hands every time i've worked on the car....without them it would be too painfule and hurt in a long run
NikiterZTS,Apr 29 2007, 01:11 AM Wrote:Mechanic's gloves saved my hands every time i've worked on the car....without them it would be too painfule and hurt in a long run
[right][snapback]236698[/snapback][/right]
Scars build character.

You don't want those Nancy-hands all yer life, do ya boy? :lol:
Yeah, I found that those mechanics gloves REDUCE my manual dexterity and grip in tight fitting areas...they are awesome for doing anything that needs persuasion, that usually leads to busted knuckles or something...
Yeah don't bother with the gloves. I work bare handed, even in the winter, because I have no dexterity or "feel" for anything I'm doing.

If they could devise some type of gloves that are thin and tactile like latex gloves, I'd be all over those, though.
I've noticed a few mechanics will wear a vinyl type of glove, like latex. I've thought about getting some, but, it's usually after I've worked on the car.
OAC_Sparky,Apr 29 2007, 03:03 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Apr 29 2007, 01:11 AM Wrote:Mechanic's gloves saved my hands every time i've worked on the car....without them it would be too painfule and hurt in a long run
[right][snapback]236698[/snapback][/right]
Scars build character.

You don't want those Nancy-hands all yer life, do ya boy? :lol:
[right][snapback]236708[/snapback][/right]

well come on...they are pretty hands ... :D
I bought a box of 100 nitrile gloves (the blue ones) at Costco for about 12 bucks - and for me it's not about the scars (got plenty already) it's about significantly reducing the interval between quality time with the car and quality time with the wife. 12 bucks - amazing ROI.

oldeguy,Apr 29 2007, 09:45 AM Wrote:I've noticed a few mechanics will wear a vinyl type of glove, like latex. I've thought about getting some, but, it's usually after I've worked on the car.
[right][snapback]236722[/snapback][/right]
good to see you got it done dan..

I don't think there's anything wrong with mechanix gloves... I got a pair for swapping tires, and they came in handy when I helped my buddy put the CAI on his Magnum R/T..

my only advice is to just buy the cheap ones.. you can get them at canadian tire for about $20...
I use the blue latex ones also ........they just protect your hands from getting dirty.
Hrm, so mechanic's gloves aren't the best idea eh? Well, I do have extra blue latex gloves from last year and the dash inserts install... I'll try those next time.

They wouldn't have helped with my right hand though... because I was forcing it into all sorts of weird contortions to support the filter when putting things back together, when I woke up this morning it was throbbing enough to nearly drive me to tears and considering that because of my disability I hardly feel anything on the right hand, that's saying something.

It went away after about an hour but damn, that wasn't fun :ph34r:

NefCanuck