FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: So My Volant Finaly Got Its Cold Air
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i went to CT and picked up a bunch of stuff to make my Volant CAI work better as it is :).
I know that green pad looks funny and all but it will do its part later on
[Image: P1010001.jpg]

this is what im gonna be using as a hoes for cold air connecting to volant intake
[Image: P1010002.jpg]

so in between i started paiting this "knee" pad so it matches the color of the car
[Image: P1010003.jpg]

when that was done i cut it to the shape of Volant's top part (thats right its gonna cover it when the hood is closed so no hot air gets inside) and painted again with the same color (not the best pic)
[Image: P1010006.jpg]

so to make everything easier, i took drivers side headlight out and started running the hoes
[Image: P1010004.jpg]

connected it to Volant (no worries that tape is gonna get cut later)
[Image: P1010007.jpg]

started fixing the hoes with wire ties...there are plenty holes out there for wire ties so to make that black hoes stay in the same place is very easy
[Image: P1010008.jpg]
[Image: P1010011.jpg]
[Image: P1010013.jpg]

now i wanted to run the hoes right beside the fog light, but the plastic part was on the way....well that had to be cut out
[Image: P1010009-1.jpg]

here it shows how everything is in the right place
[Image: P1010010.jpg]

now let me see your grillZz....thats where that cold air is cimming from.....lets see how good it will do in the rain :ph34r:
[Image: P1010012.jpg]

thats where the cold air is comming out :)
[Image: P1010014.jpg]

finished product
[Image: P1010015.jpg]

im gonna finish the the foam later on....i have a plan for it
kinda ghetto with the hose and all but good work , let us know if theres much performance difference.
well....im just not sure what to use to NOT make it ghetto......u can't even really see it ....it works the best on high speed
a hose without all indents would also help get more air flow
^^ MUCH more airflow. The folds in the hose rob you LARGE. You'd be better off with metal tubing and either welded joints or even another material for smooth elbows. The straighter the path the air has to travel, the more effective the tubing is.

You put a lot of work into it and that's to be commended. However, that's why there are NO "ripples" in good CAIs - because they slow down the air, jumble it up and keep it from getting to the engine as smoothly as possible.

I suggest you go buy a Tornado. :lol: :rofl:
Nice job, I'm sure there is a thread or sticky somewhere (focus hacks, I can't remember) but it shows placing the foam cut out to the hood so when you close the hood, the top of the volant is sealed. I'll see if I can find the link, and post it later!

Tim

Edit: Here it is
ZX3guy2000,Apr 27 2007, 08:54 PM Wrote:Nice job, I'm sure there is a thread or sticky somewhere (focus hacks, I can't remember) but it shows placing the foam cut out to the hood so when you close the hood, the top of the volant is sealed.  I'll see if I can find the link, and post it later!

Tim

Edit:  Here it is
[right][snapback]236592[/snapback][/right]

yep, thats where i got the idea from
I did an intake air temp check when i had my SVT with a cone filter in the stock airbox location. There is NO difference between ambient air temp and intake air temp once you are moving at all. The underhood air doesn't just sit there, it comes out once you are moving. The only way to draw hot air from the engine bay into the intake is to seal the hood grille and underbody completely. You will probably lose power with that setup.

As for claims of power increases from CAI kits, well they also replace the maf tube and are usually slightly larger diameter to cause a slightly leaner condition. Also replacing the stock airbox with a cone filter helps a little. I assure you that running a long tube to the front of the car does nothing.