FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Home Depot Installation Services?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anybody ever had home depot install anything? I just finished my basement and the final step is installing carpet. Went to home depot to get carpet installed, figured they use them on lots of TV shows and yes advertising works for me.

From the beginning it just appeared to be a really shady operation, you pay the measure fee $60 then they call someone to call you to setup an appointment to measure, once you've waited for the lady to call you, and setup an appointment, then you again wait for her to come back with a quote. Then pay (in full) home depot will call someone else to tell them to install some carpet, again they will call you and setup an appointment.

This whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth about their "professional" installation. Is this how it normally works with these guys, anybody have them to some installations before?

I've never had them come install anything for me.

I used to work at a small hardware store chain MANY years ago, and we always contracted contractors to go do the installations.

With all the phone calls and waiting around, that sounds like what they do - take your money, coordinate with the contractor, send contractor to do the install, profit.

I'd call a private carpet installer and see what they charge (if it isn't too late).. plus it supports the small businesses.
I had HD do the ceramic tile in my old house, they did a good job at a reasonable price. The workers are sub-contracted though, they're not HD employees. The good thing is that unlike dealing with contractors yourself, if the contractor screws up and/or goes out of business HD backs the job up.

You did get the measure charge credited once you had the job done, right?
I'd stay far away, but my freinds/family is full of contractors so I'm a little different...

I just had the worst expereince buying a freakin dishwasher from HD. I ordered it, they called to say when they are delivering it, never showed, and nobody called to re-shedule. *I* had to call to ask what was up. "Back ordered" "Thanks, somebody should of called, no?" "Not when its back ordered" :blink:

2 weeks later, the truck shows up, dishwasher is white, I ordered stainless steel.

Stainless steel is back ordered. Nobody called to tell me that AGAIN.

1 week later they finally show up, ontime, with the right one. Took 1 month to get my dishwasher and I unplugged the old one and put it ouside when they were originally suppose to show up the 1st time. Wife wasn't happy, doing dishes and s***. lol

Never again. I'm never buying furniture, appliances, or any service they may offer from that place. Trying really hard not to buy my wood for my deck there...hopefully Rona or Builders will have some good prices.
We went to a local carpet place after finding out we had to pay in full then wait possibly 2-3 weeks for install. That was just a rough quote from the lady at HD. Who knows it could even be 4-6 weeks, thing is I didn't like paying and then finding out when they could do the install.

The local guys quoted us less $$, but they need to come in and measure to be 100% certain. And at least we know our installation date ahead of time.
I would stay with the carpet company. Home Depot doesn't need your money as much as the carpet company, and you'll probably get it done faster and cheaper.
We had them price out our living room window last fall (biggest window in the house) when we needed to replace it. They offered a really inflated price, and then offered to discount it by 300 bucks if we put a sign out for a week previous to and 2 weeks after the work. That works out to 100/week for some of the best traffic exposure in North Bay aside from the main highways.

I told him to double the discount or walk. He laughed, I told him I'd call.

Then I had a contractor buddy of mine come over and do a hell of a job for $1000 less with no stipulations. They'll be quoting on the rest of the windows in 2-3 chunks for this year and next year.

Shop around, talk to contractors recommended by family and friends. Get EVERYONE's warranty on paper BEFORE SIGNING.

Also, when HD did their measurements... they measured once. The other guys measured several times and even compensated for a slight window size error at the house. You'd never know to look at it.
have you called the carpert place that has ads on TV all the time. They will come to measure one day and next day they will install for you.

http://www.empiretoday.com/
Having worked for HD and then Rona afterwards. Personally i'd stay away from the installers they have. If they were the best installers they wouldn't need home depot to get them work would they. The only positive is that HD will back up the work if its not up to standard.
OAC_Sparky,Apr 24 2007, 09:19 AM Wrote:You did get the measure charge credited once you had the job done, right?
[right][snapback]236089[/snapback][/right]
What, you're not volunteering your carpet install expertise? You're not that old Sparky.

Just don't let this guy do your install....
Carpet Install Contractor
For the record I hate the depo. I avoid doing any business there at all costs.
CanadaSVT,Apr 25 2007, 09:13 AM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Apr 24 2007, 09:19 AM Wrote:You did get the measure charge credited once you had the job done, right?
[right][snapback]236089[/snapback][/right]
What, you're not volunteering your carpet install expertise? You're not that old Sparky.[right][snapback]236251[/snapback][/right]
Damn, I'm surprised you remembered. :lol:

I'm not that old, but my legs feel like it sometimes. Glad I got out of that trade while my knees were still intact.

(For those that don't know, I used to install carpets for Tepperman's in Windsor 19 years ago, before I worked for Ford)
The measure $$ was lost because I didn't go with HD because the could not and would not tell me an EXACT day I could get my carpet installed without paying in full.

I don't mind the depot, their prices generally are ok for some things and they are real convenient for that I'm fine with them. I tried the local hardware stores and it was actually more expensive to buy from them. There is a rona going in by my house so i'll be giving those guys a try in future.
they installed my parents hard wood floors.........terrible job and the hard wood was sooo expensive too.