FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Car Dies At Idle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well after getting my car starting problem fixed..I decided to wash the car as it was filthy...afterwards I went to start the car...which it did...but the moment you take your foot off the gas it shuts down.

I am tempted to bring it to a mechanic as I am at a loss here as to what could be causing it...any ideas would be greatly apreciated
vacum leaks? Proper grounds?
Distributor cap? Coil? Cracked wires with water in them? Water in anything else electrical?
i dunno if these would cause it but...
TPS?
IAC?
ugh...well I think I am gonna send the car to my mechanic and let him rip into it.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 18 2007, 02:47 PM Wrote:Distributor cap? Coil? Cracked wires with water in them? Water in anything else electrical?
[right][snapback]235341[/snapback][/right]

yeah check that to since exposed wires is a common problem on our cars.
Leave it in the sun for a day or so and see what happens!
i bet its the A/F wires from the sensor. Just unplug it, make sure its completly dry and plug it back in.

Let me know if this helps
[Image: IMG_0578A.jpg]

ok I will try that A/F wire thing. should I take a hair blower to it or something or just let it sit and dry out?
You can WD40 the wires to dry them out (displace the water) and see if that works... sparkplug wires, coil to distributor cap wire that is.

Otherwise, visual inspection of the other wires (MAF, etc) is all that's needed.

Did you wash the engine or something?
no just the body of the car.
ThraxXx,Apr 19 2007, 12:21 PM Wrote:no just the body of the car.
[right][snapback]235529[/snapback][/right]

hmmm...i recall the same thing happening with my car after washes. I dont know why but it doesnt do it anymore after the fine tuning. Very weird.

Try unplugging your Maf sensor (the pic Mo posted) and taking off teh intake tube so you can see inside the MAF meter....clean it out with soem brake cleaner and let it dry. Thats how we got mine going when I was stuck in London.

report back :D
I'm not an electrical wizard, but, reading this and rhe one about not starting at all, makes me think that our young man ThraxXx should check his electrical grounds.......
Why not check the basics, spark and fuel. Get an old spark plug and rest it agains anything metal like the block or the bolt to the valve cover and get someone to crank over the engine. check for fuel with a fuel pressure gauge and check the
injector signal with a 'noid' light. if this sounds like too much find a good tech.

good luck.
Well I replaced the plugs and wires. The plugs looked ok, no carbon buildup but you could tell they have been in there a while but still good contact surface. Wires seemed ok as they weren't putting on a lightshow in the dark. It was still dying afterwards but only if the car was washed. My friend/mechanic said it could be a vacume leak that is picking up the water/mist and causing the engine to stall out. I found this odd so he came over and did a test with a propane tank where he basically sprayed a light shot of propane near the hoses and all of a sudden the RPM's went through the roof. Sure enough I had a hole in a hose. Replaced the hose and the car worked fine. I guess the 2.0L SPI is super sensitive to vapour... <_<
Oh I also wanted to add...

I checked and cleaned the battery to ground connection. I put in a new battery so the terminals are new and I cleaned out the battery connectors before installing the new battery. I however have no idea where the engine to chassy line sits. That is the only line I haven't pulled and cleaned yet. If someone can give me an idea where this wire is that would be greatly apreciated.
It's a medium-length wire if memory serves, should run right down to the front frame section under the battery. I think.

You can bring the car over tonight if you want or I can just go check Oscar's car in the lot today sometime :D
Flofocus,Apr 18 2007, 02:24 PM Wrote:vacum leaks? [right][snapback]235336[/snapback][/right]

I'm good eh.