FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Good Mechanic - Do They Exist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm not a shade tree mechanic!
Ask me to fix a computer - no problem. But fix my car - no way. :ph34r:

I live in the Ottawa/Nepean area and I'm looking for a mechanic this is both capable and affordable. Obviously I would like him/her to know the Focus well enough to be familiar (if possible) with some of the focus hacks/tweaks.

I'm tired of begining ripped off by the dealer.
And I don't want a mechanic that will take off running when I tell him that I'm going to add a chip to my car... ;)
What kind of work your car needs ?
mpcv2000,Apr 14 2007, 08:24 AM Wrote:What kind of work you car needs ?
[right][snapback]234666[/snapback][/right]

none at the moment, I'm just being proactive.
Unfortunatly the only compitant, fair, honest, and good at what they do mechanic is either a good friend/family member, or yourself. I too have been ripped off due to a mechanic, but really what are you going to do. If you had knowledge on the subject you might have known better. Best bet it to learn yourself some smarts on the automobile
laidman,Apr 14 2007, 09:07 AM Wrote:Unfortunatly the only compitant, fair, honest, and good at what they do mechanic is either a good friend/family member, or yourself.  I too have been ripped off due to a mechanic, but really what are you going to do.  If you had knowledge on the subject you might have known better.  Best bet it to learn yourself some smarts on the automobile
[right][snapback]234671[/snapback][/right]
Hmmm ... good advice for some, but I think he's already told us this isn't his thing, and there's only so much protection being knowledgeable will give you ... if a mechanic is intent on ripping you off or is sloppy or simply incompetent, there's very little you can do after the fact except complain; and that's what he's trying to avoid if I read his post correctly.

If you were in my area there are a couple of places I could recommend - so back to the Ottawa area guys to pitch in here with some recommendations - who to go to, who to avoid.
Roc Auto in rockland. If you want his # I can Pm it to ya.

He's one of the only guys I trust to touch my car. He was the head mecahnic at St. Laurent BMW before he went and started his own thing.
The problem today is that finding a good mechanic is hard to do. Most shops only have Part Replacers, not someone that really knows the in's and out's of todays cars.

Good luck on your quest.
I have a great mechanic here in Aurora. He does a lot of major repairs to all sorts of cars. But there lies the problem. He does not specialize in 1 type of make/model.
Albeit, the focus is not a difficult car to work on, he has done some fantastic work on my car and does a lot of things at discounted prices.
For example, for an OBD II read, he charges me nothing. For inspections and trouble shooting, usually nothing unless it is a huge problem that takes him a lot of time.
I think the best thing to do is take peoples recommendations who HAVE used certain mechanics and go see them for yourself. Ask in advance how much it will cost you to do a certain repair then call FORD and see what they say.
Flo had mentioned ROC, if FLO trusts him with his beast, you can probably trust him.

Good luck.
^^^Hey Alien good to know that there's a good place in Aurora cuz i'm probably moving there soon
nice lil golf town :)
NikiterZTS,Apr 14 2007, 11:34 AM Wrote:^^^Hey Alien good to know that there's a good place in Aurora cuz i'm probably moving there soon
nice lil golf town :)
[right][snapback]234682[/snapback][/right]

Awesome golf town, 5 courses surrounding us!
Lemme know where abouts your moving, we'll rip this town up.

Tehehe.
I think the most enjoyable thing about my Focus is working on it myself.
SmokeBCBuDZ,Apr 14 2007, 01:33 PM Wrote:I think the most enjoyable thing about my Focus is working on it myself.
[right][snapback]234701[/snapback][/right]
Otherwise, you'll be paying through the nose. I've had to do a few repairs, no real modifications, and to be honest, some of the repairs have been an exercise in patience. A Throttle Body replacement. alternator, valve cover gasket, so far. Timing Belt this summer. unless I find a Ford mechanic who knows a few tricks, I'm sure I'll be saying a few things that I shouldn't say in church. Where I live, no one knows how to fix a Ford, just GM
Like I said, you want honest and fair? Youll get both with Roc. VERY good guy, I've known him since I was 15 when I got into the whole Sport compact thing. He was one of the 1st around me area to start making these things fast.

$40/hour and knows his s***. Cant go wrong with that.
this is scary... i don't know if i should mention what is do for a living (i might have spun a few wrenches for the all mighty dollar). I think that you have to develope a relationship with whom ever you take your 'baby' to.

The saying that you shouldn't open hood to strangers is old fashion... you should find someone who get's to know your car, regularly. So they can 'know' what is happening with the car and customer. I hate seeing a car for the first time and having to 'fix' it with no information about the car, or what the customer expects from the car.

One un happy tool box guy (sometimes :huh: ).
zx5chris,Apr 17 2007, 12:42 AM Wrote:this is scary... i don't know if i should mention what is do for a living  (i might have spun a few wrenches for the all mighty dollar).  I think that you have to develope a relationship with  whom ever you take your 'baby' to.

The saying that you shouldn't open hood to strangers is old fashion... you should find someone who get's to know your car, regularly. So they can 'know' what is happening with the car and customer.  I hate seeing a car for the first time and having to 'fix' it with no information about the car, or what the customer expects from the car.

One un happy tool box guy (sometimes :huh: ).
[right][snapback]235056[/snapback][/right]
I'm going to guess, by what you are saying is that you are a mechanic. I live in a small town, where the number of mechanics is limited, and to be honest, the ones I've dealt with have all been very good. They take the time to talk to you, and will do things above and beyond the call of duty at times. Even some of the mechanics at the local CT are pretty good. The big difference I see is between the local shop owner, and the dealer mechanics, who are more than likely being pushed to "produce" , to get in and get out, shall we say, and get the most out of the poor customer.
I've been real lucky and i've got a mechanic out in mount hope that is really good. Just a guy running a garage out back of his house, but he is the one that did the suspension install on my focus and any other repairs that are too big for me to handle in my drive way. I'll keep taking my cars to him until he closes, its hard to find an honest mechanic, that doesn't charge and arm and a leg.

For general repairs in Nepean, I know some of the guys I work with have been using The Wheel Deal on Bentley off Merivale. Parts prices seem to be good, and he does the jobs as a flate rate (ie. $75 for a wheel bearing replacement) vs. 2 hours of shop time at Campbell Ford.

I live out south of the city (Kemptville) and I know some good ones around me if you don't mind the drive.

As far as a Focus specific mechanic, none around here that I know. I guess Flo would be the closest. :D

Ryan
reldridge,Apr 18 2007, 04:03 PM Wrote:As far as a Focus specific mechanic, none around here that I know. I guess Flo would be the closest. :D

Ryan
[right][snapback]235351[/snapback][/right]

haha, i only know how to do the things I do because my car is a) a POS, b ) blowing chunks of cylinders and rods through the block.

:lol:
The Only advice I can offer is to ask friends and family. A referral this way is usually best because its someone you know, and chances are they'll take care of you because you're "a friend of a friend". I had this, but had a falling out with that friend, so I'm back to paying outrageous labour prices again!
since nothing is wrong with your car.. prob a good time to ask around for places ppl like and then start to build a relationship with that place
Pages: 1 2