FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: On: Legislation Toughens Penalties For Diu And
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Proposed Ontario legislation toughens penalties for drunk driving and street racing
Source: Canadian Driver.ca
4-13-2007

Whitchurch-Stouffville, Ontario - The Ontario provincial government has introduced legislation that will toughen penalties for drunk drivers or those caught street racing. "There can be no tolerance in Ontario for people who put other people's lives at risk on our roads," says Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty. "We want to make it clear: if you drink and drive or if you street race, you'll pay and the penalty will be tough."

The proposed legislation will allow the courts to take away vehicles from repeat drinking and driving offenders; establish an early ignition interlock program for Criminal Code offenders; increase roadside drivers' license suspension for drunk drivers; and take drivers' licenses away from street racers and increase fines.

The legislation will also allow police a combination of red and blue lights on their vehicles, making them more visible, especially at night.

In a statement, Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) Canada says it welcomes the proposed legislation, but says that it doesn't go far enough. "It is good to see this government recognize our impaired driving laws need to be more effective," says Andrew Murie, MADD CEO. "While we are pleased with the announcement, we are disappointed that the government did not take this opportunity to enhance its graduated license program with a zero BAC (blood alcohol count) limit for new drivers for five years. Other jurisdictions like Manitoba and Nova Scotia have introduced zero-BAC-for-five-years law. Zero and low BAC limits have been introduced for all drivers under 21 in the United States and this has resulted in significant reductions in impaired driving fatalities."

BEAUTIFUL!

Although, I think a 10-day suspension in bulls***.

I feel, if your caught street racing, you lose your liscence. for a LONG time.
ANTHONYD,Apr 13 2007, 09:48 AM Wrote:BEAUTIFUL!

Although, I think a 10-day suspension in bulls***.

I feel, if your caught street racing, you lose your liscence. for a LONG time.
[right][snapback]234577[/snapback][/right]

I agree, not to mention people cought for street racing should be sent back to something like driver education and road rage classes before they get their driver's license back.
Here's what they should do.
3-year suspension, start driving school over again, and not allowed to buy anything over 85hp.
I like the sound of the legislation and its stated intent.

I just hope it actually gets passed before the legislature rises for the summer, because once they go on their summer break I don't know that they'll be sitting again until after the election in October <_<

NefCanuck
yeea i guess its alright :ph34r:
NikiterZTS,Apr 13 2007, 10:40 AM Wrote:yeea  i guess its alright :ph34r:
[right][snapback]234588[/snapback][/right]

Great post!

:lol:
As long as the legislation is used as intended, to punish those who are DUI or Street Racing. I would be concerned that the police would start harassing even more than they do now, those that modify there vehicles and are not racing on the streets.
The profile a certain group, ensure that they don't want to go to the legal venues because of being harassed. They created this monster themselves, movies/games did not help this situation.

I think this legislation just increased the cool factor of street racing, they just raised the stakes and I don't think its going to stop kids from racing who don't really understand the true results of their actions.

I think to really curb it they need to start by increasing the legal venues where these sorts of activities can happen, making them more accessible and without the pigs sitting out front and pulling everybody over that they think fits the group of illegal modifications. Until they do this theres going to be street racing, and more of it....

ANTHONYD,Apr 13 2007, 10:58 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Apr 13 2007, 10:40 AM Wrote:yeea   i guess its alright :ph34r:
[right][snapback]234588[/snapback][/right]

Great post!

:lol:
[right][snapback]234590[/snapback][/right]

X2 :lol:
hardk0re,Apr 13 2007, 11:29 AM Wrote:The profile a certain group, ensure that they don't want to go to the legal venues because of being harassed.  They created this monster themselves, movies/games did not help this situation.

I think this legislation just increased the cool factor of street racing, they just raised the stakes and I don't think its going to stop kids from racing who don't really understand the true results of their actions.

I think to really curb it they need to start by increasing the legal venues where these sorts of activities can happen, making them more accessible and without the pigs sitting out front and pulling everybody over that they think fits the group of illegal modifications.  Until they do this theres going to be street racing, and more of it....
[right][snapback]234596[/snapback][/right]
When you really think about it, how many of us would be willing to pay the money sign the waivers, get the extra insurance to be able to do this legally. I'm sure most of us on this site would, but, I'm not to sure about anywhere else.
hardk0re,Apr 13 2007, 11:29 AM Wrote:The profile a certain group, ensure that they don't want to go to the legal venues because of being harassed.  They created this monster themselves, movies/games did not help this situation.

I think to really curb it they need to start by increasing the legal venues where these sorts of activities can happen, making them more accessible and without the pigs sitting out front and pulling everybody over that they think fits the group of illegal modifications.  Until they do this theres going to be street racing, and more of it....
[right][snapback]234596[/snapback][/right]

Im with ya!
their just going to hassle guys who modify their cars any how when joe high school is racing his mom's caravan anyway, so what does it freakin matter anyway...
PARKINGLOT,Apr 14 2007, 01:22 PM Wrote:their just going to hassle guys who modify their cars any how when joe high school is racing his mom's caravan anyway, so what does it freakin matter anyway...
[right][snapback]234698[/snapback][/right]
I agree there going to hassle the modified cars, but, if someone is caught racing, I think that the "book" should be thrown at them. We do need places for guys, well, mostly guys, to go and race. But, we all know that isn't going to happen
oldeguy,Apr 14 2007, 01:46 PM Wrote:
PARKINGLOT,Apr 14 2007, 01:22 PM Wrote:their just going to hassle guys who modify their cars any how when joe high school is racing his mom's caravan anyway, so what does it freakin matter anyway...
[right][snapback]234698[/snapback][/right]
I agree there going to hassle the modified cars, but, if someone is caught racing, I think that the "book" should be thrown at them. We do need places for guys, well, mostly guys, to go and race. But, we all know that isn't going to happen
[right][snapback]234704[/snapback][/right]
Profiling isn't right, but it is human nature ... dozens of threads on this board demonstrate this regularly; if something continuously looks, smells, sounds and walks like a duck -- it's easy to assume that every time you face something similar, it too will be a duck. Not right - but certainly the way it is and not just with cops.

I for one don't equate the anti-social behaviour of a small number of drivers as indicating a demand for more formal places to race. If there was such a demand I'm pretty sure someone in our market-driven economy would fill the void; and that's assuming the need isn't already being met by what's available already.

IMO those who are really interested in the sport of racing, and there are quite a few on this board, make a point of spending the money and the time to prepare their car and themselves correctly and go to a track. IMO that's a different crowd than street racers; with different motivations, different sensibilities (responsible competition) and a different sense of responsibility.

IMO street racing is selfish and anti-social behaviour pure and simple - not at all related to the sport of auto racing.
I hope I don't merit a whack with the Ban Hammer but here goes:

Street racing has been around for over 60 years. It has been likely happening since cars were introduced to the public, and this new legislation will not make it go away. If nothing else, as mentioned earlier... it'll just get worse.

A lot of us are gearheads, but how many of us have parents who are/were gearheads? How many of THEM streetraced in the 60s/70s? How many of THEIR parents streetraced in the 40s/50s? Come on guys... this is nothing new. It'll be around with the next generation of drivers too unless we give up that much of our rights such that Big Brother always knows where we all are, how fast we're going, who we voted for in the last election, etc.

An example: My Dad street-raced in his teens and a little into his 20s. They only raced in industrial areas, away from the public (mind you there was a LOT less traffic back then). What happened? His best friend was racing someone else that day when his car went under a transport and the car became a convertible. His friend became half a friend. A horrible tragedy that all the lemmings will say "could have been prevented". There's always inherent risk in anything you do. There's risk at the dragstrip. There's risk in going to get groceries.

What needs to be punished here is a group of asshats who can't stop making it a spectacle. Street racing happens every day and by and large no-one gets hurt. On occasion, it does spill out into the public and those responsible should be brought to justice. For those tards, I say lock em up and throw away the key, cut up the license.

For those that have an impromptu drag at 2AM because they're more than 2 hours from the track on a deserted (and I mean EMPTY) non-residential road... what's the harm? An equipment failure for them that causes an injury or worse would likely happen in the same fashion at the track. There's nothing that this legislation will do to street racing that will improve the conditions for those that want to get to the track but they can't.

No spectators. No betting. Just 2 cars going at it for a quarter mile. Anything else isn't a "street race". It's fantasy nonsense, lived out by morons who can't discern between fiction and reality.

I also agree with Kev, build more f'ing tracks and make it a little easier to get insurance so that the track can actually operate without going bankrupt in a year. Even circle tracks have this problem.
Adam … there’s nothing in here that IMO would get you banned – it’s your opinion and you’ve expressed it respectfully. On the other hand I can’t agree with much of it.

NOS2Go4Me,Apr 17 2007, 02:53 PM Wrote:Street racing has been around for over 60 years. It has been likely happening since cars were introduced to the public, and this new legislation will not make it go away. If nothing else, as mentioned earlier... it'll just get worse.
This is almost like saying “it used to be okay to hit a guy over the head with a club and take his woman – why isn’t it acceptable now?” And if you think this legislation (or any legislation) in and of itself can change anything, then you’re not getting it. The only thing legislation can do is set the rules of behaviour, then it’s up to the rest of us to behave that way. If everyone says “we can’t change” – then guess what – everyone’s right. But we’re not talking about the behaviour of the majority, we’re not even talking about the behaviour of a large minority – it’s a small group of people and only if the rest of us demonstrate we’re not going to accept it, will anything change.

NOS2Go4Me,Apr 17 2007, 02:53 PM Wrote:A lot of us are gearheads, but how many of us have parents who are/were gearheads? How many of THEM streetraced in the 60s/70s? How many of THEIR parents streetraced in the 40s/50s? Come on guys... this is nothing new. It'll be around with the next generation of drivers too unless we give up that much of our rights such that Big Brother always knows where we all are, how fast we're going, who we voted for in the last election, etc.
That previous generations did it is irrelevant – previous generations did lots of things we don’t find acceptable now and for good reason. It’s called societal evolution. And nobody has a right to street race – never did – so the fact that it was at one time tolerated, much the same as drinking and driving was tolerated, doesn’t make it smart, safe, reasonable, or acceptable now.

NOS2Go4Me,Apr 17 2007, 02:53 PM Wrote:His friend became half a friend. A horrible tragedy that all the lemmings will say "could have been prevented".
Sorry Adam but I think you’ve got it backwards here … it’s the lemmings who say “let’s do things the way we’ve always done them, and let’s do things because other people do them.” Those who look at the edge of the cliff and say, “uhh, no thanks” are anything but lemmings; and those who try to explain to the others why jumping over the cliff may not be a good thing (even though everyone else is doing it) are also not lemmings.

NOS2Go4Me,Apr 17 2007, 02:53 PM Wrote:There's always inherent risk in anything you do. There's risk at the dragstrip. There's risk in going to get groceries.
Perfect analogy – thanks for the setup. Here’s the thing – when my wife and kids go to get groceries I don’t want them to be put at the same risk as if they were at a drag strip – yes, there’s risk associated in doing both – but they are (or should be) inherently different risks with different ways of mitigating the risk. There’s no way my wife should be concerned on a public road about two people racing.

NOS2Go4Me,Apr 17 2007, 02:53 PM Wrote:What needs to be punished here is a group of asshats who can't stop making it a spectacle. Street racing happens every day and by and large no-one gets hurt. On occasion, it does spill out into the public and those responsible should be brought to justice. For those tards, I say lock em up and throw away the key, cut up the license.
Again IMO you’re missing the point. Punishing the “unlucky” racers who on the rare occasion injure or kill someone is totally lacking in sense, because if the behaviour or activity is tolerated at all someone’s always going to be unlucky, and someone innocent is bound to be hurt.

NOS2Go4Me,Apr 17 2007, 02:53 PM Wrote:There's nothing that this legislation will do to street racing that will improve the conditions for those that want to get to the track but they can't.
Sorry I have no sympathy for this line of reasoning … there’s a lot of people who can’t get to the zoo but that doesn’t mean it’s reasonable to keep lions and tigers in the basement – and if you think that argument is somewhat ridiculous then you get my point.

NOS2Go4Me,Apr 17 2007, 02:53 PM Wrote:No spectators. No betting. Just 2 cars going at it for a quarter mile. Anything else isn't a "street race". It's fantasy nonsense, lived out by morons who can't discern between fiction and reality.

I also agree with Kev, build more f'ing tracks and make it a little easier to get insurance so that the track can actually operate without going bankrupt in a year. Even circle tracks have this problem. [right][snapback]235150[/snapback][/right]
Okay – hands up. Who besides me has signed up for the SVTOA track weekend at Dunnville? I rest my case.

Don’t kid yourself … this isn’t about access to tracks. The people who are really and truly interested in racing will find a way to do it legally. The people who truly know about the dynamics of a vehicle and the physics behind driving them fast would never put themselves or others at risk by racing on public road– street racing is nothing more than a romantic pseudonym for dangerous and irresponsible driving. And that deserves to be punished whether or not a collision is involved.
ZTWsquared,Apr 17 2007, 03:40 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 17 2007, 02:53 PM Wrote:There's always inherent risk in anything you do. There's risk at the dragstrip. There's risk in going to get groceries.
Perfect analogy – thanks for the setup. Here’s the thing – when my wife and kids go to get groceries I don’t want them to be put at the same risk as if they were at a drag strip – yes, there’s risk associated in doing both – but they are (or should be) inherently different risks with different ways of mitigating the risk. There’s no way my wife should be concerned on a public road about two people racing.

betcha thres no way those parents should have been worried about their kids going to University yesterday. People die everyday, because of others mistakes. There's risk in everything you do nowadays. Lets ban/throw laws everywhere!!!!!
ZTWsquared,Apr 17 2007, 03:40 PM Wrote:Okay – hands up. Who besides me has signed up for the SVTOA track weekend at Dunnville? I rest my case.

Don’t kid yourself … this isn’t about access to tracks. The people who are really and truly interested in racing will find a way to do it legally. The people who truly know about the dynamics of a vehicle and the physics behind driving them fast would never put themselves or others at risk by racing on public road– street racing is nothing more than a romantic pseudonym for dangerous and irresponsible driving. And that deserves to be punished whether or not a collision is involved.
[right][snapback]235163[/snapback][/right]

I go to the 1/4 mile track, solo events, and wish to do some lapping this year if time permits.

The same guys that attend these track events are the same guys I go out with Friday night to 'street race' in the country roads. I'm talking about 35+ years old here, not your typical civic street racer.

Good point on knowing the limits of your cars....I wouldnt dare go out with a bunch of 20 year old punks that know how to shift and keep the car in a straight line. I go out with these guys because their mature and know exactly what the limit of their car is, so they dont 'push it' on public roads. I know what were doing is illegal, but when your with a group like this, its done with responsibility (if you can take out the whole braking the law part :P )
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 17 2007, 02:53 PM Wrote:What needs to be punished here is a group of asshats who can't stop making it a spectacle. Street racing happens every day and by and large no-one gets hurt. On occasion, it does spill out into the public and those responsible should be brought to justice. For those tards, I say lock em up and throw away the key, cut up the license.

For those that have an impromptu drag at 2AM because they're more than 2 hours from the track on a deserted (and I mean EMPTY) non-residential road... what's the harm? An equipment failure for them that causes an injury or worse would likely happen in the same fashion at the track. There's nothing that this legislation will do to street racing that will improve the conditions for those that want to get to the track but they can't.

[right][snapback]235150[/snapback][/right]

Very, VERY well put my friend!!!

NOS2Go4Me FTW!!!!!
Pages: 1 2