FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Birth Of A V8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
pretty neat video of a V8 block being milled on a 5 axis CNC machine..

don't make a mistake!
Long but neat.

Wonder, was it a completely useless design just for the video?
we have a couple of machines like that at my shop. $500,000 a piece. Not bad

02SVTSEDAN

Jezz,
I went downstairs made coffee and had a piece of cake and the vid was still playing.. ;)
darkpuppet,Apr 10 2007, 09:45 AM Wrote:pretty neat video of a V8 block being milled on a 5 axis CNC machine..

don't make a mistake!
[right][snapback]234069[/snapback][/right]

pretty sweet...seen something similiar in person...
if you noticed that it had a few time lapsed areas in the vid. It would have actually taken hours to complete that process
I run a 3 axis at work, which is twice the size of that but half the cost.

That is one crazy CNC milling machine...

and yes Im sure those parts could be functional, but you do have to finish them by hand.
D-Dub,Apr 10 2007, 10: Wrote:I run a 3 axis at work, which is twice the size of that but half the cost.

That is one crazy CNC milling machine...

and yes Im sure those parts could be functional, but you do have to finish them by hand.
[right][snapback]234174[/snapback][/right]
you mean that's not a finished product? all that time and money and it can't do it itself?
that thing rocks... totally... would love to get custome stuff made on that thing...

$500 K? well I'm sure a cnc blocklike that is 10 G's to the customer so.. make 70 of em? and cover you costs... if you could make one a day for a year.. and sell them all at that price your making mad cash and still have a 500K machean to mess with at the end of that year... swret
the main problem to machiingin it all out of one solid block is that its not cost effective. You could make a diecast Aluminum mold, and mass produce the product for less than half it would cost in just machining alone