FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 05 Air Box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so my 05 is getting bad gas mileage lately so i decide to do a tune up so i start looking for the air box and there it is behind the fender, so i call ford and see how much a new one is and the guy tells me it 460 bux and it good for 200+ km, OK WHAT. can anyone give me some enlightenment in to this im just thinking cold air and have it over with

thanks for the help
Remove the stock airbox. Replace with whichever CAI or Short ram you like.
willcann,Apr 9 2007, 10:00 AM Wrote:Ok so my 05 is getting bad gas mileage lately so i decide to do a tune up so i start looking for the air box and there it is behind the fender,  so i call ford and see how much a new one is and the guy tells me it 460 bux and it good for 200+ km, OK WHAT. can anyone give me some enlightenment in to this im just thinking cold air and have it over with

thanks for the help
[right][snapback]233920[/snapback][/right]
There is a little gauge on the side of the airbox, as long as the indicator isn't in the red with the engine running, you don't need to replace it. Replace it with an SRI or a CAI if you want (I have an SRI) but if you're eating gas and your indicator on the airbox is still good, changing it won't help.

If you are having issues, do yourself a favour, do the research or get someone knowledgeable to help you (whether it's a friend or a paid mechanic) -- you'll save time and money over just throwing parts at it.
The 05+ come with a non-replacement style filter, so once it's done Ford gets more money out of ya!

There should be lots of options out there for short ram or cold air intakes
SL8RZZX3,Apr 9 2007, 10:32 AM Wrote:The 05+ come with a non-replacement style filter, so once it's done Ford gets more money out of ya!
[right][snapback]233931[/snapback][/right]
The reason why it's non-replaceable (from what I understand) is because it also contains a carbon filter for the PZEV emissions. It's part of the emission control system.
We don't have the PZEV motors in Canada, therefore you can easily get a CAI that retains the classic PCV feed "nipple", ditch the stock box and be WAY better off. I've also found that my exhaust even helps out a tad with fuel economy.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 9 2007, 10:55 AM Wrote:We don't have the PZEV motors in Canada, therefore you can easily get a CAI that retains the classic PCV feed "nipple", ditch the stock box and be WAY better off. I've also found that my exhaust even helps out a tad with fuel economy.
[right][snapback]233940[/snapback][/right]
Didn't say that we had the PZEVs, I said that the fiter is part of the PZEV emissions system, which is why it's big bucks. We use the same filter regardless.

If his gas mileage suddenly went south and there isn't a restriction in the airbox (indicator is in the green) and there isn't an issue with the stock exhaust, a new intake or exhaust won't fix the underlying problem.
OAC_Sparky,Apr 9 2007, 12:33 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 9 2007, 10:55 AM Wrote:We don't have the PZEV motors in Canada, therefore you can easily get a CAI that retains the classic PCV feed "nipple", ditch the stock box and be WAY better off. I've also found that my exhaust even helps out a tad with fuel economy.
[right][snapback]233940[/snapback][/right]
Didn't say that we had the PZEVs, I said that the fiter is part of the PZEV emissions system, which is why it's big bucks. We use the same filter regardless.

If his gas mileage suddenly went south and there isn't a restriction in the airbox (indicator is in the green) and there isn't an issue with the stock exhaust, a new intake or exhaust won't fix the underlying problem.
[right][snapback]233945[/snapback][/right]
Also said he's going to do a tune up. worn out plugs, wires, et al, will lower your gas mileage. I just thought getting a CAI or Short ram, using any old excuse is a good idea. I think a better intake will only help if he uses the same pressure on the gas pedal. From what i've heard, once you hear the sound of a CAI, you want to hear it all the time.
oldeguy,Apr 9 2007, 12:09 PM Wrote:Also said he's going to do a tune up. worn out plugs, wires, et al, will  lower your gas mileage. I just thought getting a CAI or Short ram, using any old excuse is a good idea. I think a better intake will only help if he uses the same pressure on the gas pedal. From what i've heard, once you hear the sound of a CAI, you want to hear it all the time.
[right][snapback]233947[/snapback][/right]
Plugs, the 05s don't have spark plug wires.

But true about the SRI, sounds good.
OAC_Sparky,Apr 9 2007, 12:33 PM Wrote:Didn't say that we had the PZEVs, I said that the fiter is part of the PZEV emissions system, which is why it's big bucks. We use the same filter regardless.[right][snapback]233945[/snapback][/right]

So ... part of the PZEV emissions system, but not part of the emissions system on our cars? Does that mean it is, or it isn't covered by our emissions warranty?
no its not covered by the warranty, i wish, but i found a CAI in Barrie for 400buxs, i pulled the plugs and they look good haven't check the exhaust yet but ill get there, the gas mileage has just started to go down, for example i use to drive to Toronto for 20bux now it takes 35bux, the reason i though of the air filter first is because the car has 50k on it and i have only change the oil, lol. now i dont know if this has anything to do with it but it back in the shop again for the hanger barring in the front end, (third time)
The part # for the air filter for the pzev model is actually different, that could be why it isnt covered. As for fuel millage mabey you could try a fuel filter. Could the price increase for the trip be due to rising fuel cost, mabey just a thought.
If you've only ever changed the oil on the car then that's the culprit. Neglect the fuel filter and your mileage will bottom out faster than a '75 Mercury Maverick @ Shannonville...

Every 20,000km w/o fail or your just wasting $ on gas...

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 9 2007, 04:18 PM Wrote:If you've only ever changed the oil on the car then that's the culprit.  Neglect the fuel filter and your mileage will bottom out faster than a '75 Mercury Maverick @ Shannonville...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]233979[/snapback][/right]

:huh: I'll have to look into that interval, we've never changed the fuel filters on our cars/trucks in the past... but for a cheap part to change in the troubleshooting process, it couldn't hurt to change the fuel filter.
euro_zx5,Apr 9 2007, 04:12 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 9 2007, 04:18 PM Wrote:If you've only ever changed the oil on the car then that's the culprit.  Neglect the fuel filter and your mileage will bottom out faster than a '75 Mercury Maverick @ Shannonville...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]233979[/snapback][/right]

:huh: I'll have to look into that interval, we've never changed the fuel filters on our cars/trucks in the past... but for a cheap part to change in the troubleshooting process, it couldn't hurt to change the fuel filter.
[right][snapback]233992[/snapback][/right]

If you can do it yourself, its relatively straight forward. Sadly I cannot, so I get whacked at the dealer at the appropriate intervals :ph34r:

NefCanuck
All the CAIs come with the pcv nipple dealy. My silly PZEV even "bolted right up".. no odd connections.

Get a CAI/SRI, rip out that 10lbs of useless plumbing under the hood, call it a day. Then get the filter cleaner for it (mine is a K&N filter -- so $10 to clean the filter a couple of times, instead of $400 for a new box).

A CAI for $400 is retardedly expensive though. Look around, especially on the different forums buy/sell areas. I wouldn't spend more than say, $200 tops.

You'll also be messing with the gas peddle constantly trying to get it to whistle. I know I'm guilty of it. Then try to sustain the whistle, that takes a little practice.