FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bringing Tires Across The Boarder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm just wondering if anyone here has bought some tires in the states and put them on over there and had to bring back their stock rims in the backseat etc...

Were you questioned at the boarder for them? if so what did you say and were you charged duty for them? Correct me if I am wrong but you only pay duty on car parts if they are made outside of North America. I am pretty sure the rims are made in the states but the tires no doubt are from overseas.

thanks!
If the guy is swift he will see brand new rims on your car, used rims in the back seat... he may put two and two together.

Tell them what you want, just remember if they find out anything other than you say, they can seize your car or your tires. Best bet, just tell em you bought new rims/rubber pay the tax on it and be on your way hassle free.
I have done tire changes, but not rim+tires. If you think its really a good deal then just put 4 small spare donuts, on your car and drive to US, change the rims/tires and drive back :)Leave the dodnuts behind. ohh yeah before you come across, drive thru dirt and mud so they won't look as shiny.

Honesty is the best policy... my freind bought a used set of Kozie K1R's and bridge stone potenzas from a guy in detroit.. for like $800... took em across and Declared them outright... he got pulled in and the guards said that his stuff was new... he argued but still ended up paying $800 in duty... still a good deal for those rims even used I might add...

just say you bought a used set of rims and tires... lol (like the ones in your trunk)... becasue you don't want to run theses new ones (like the ones on your car) in the winter...

what crossing?
You've already rec'd the best advice which is be truthful ... but also make sure you have a receipt or something in writing to back up whatever you tell them.

You can expect to pay 15% in taxes, and depending on the 'country of origin' you may also have to pay some duty - which I believe is also taxable.
i thought that you only had to pay gst on things you declare at the border
sssuperfly,Apr 9 2007, 09:05 AM Wrote:i thought that you only had to pay gst on things you declare at the border
[right][snapback]233909[/snapback][/right]
No, 14% PST & GST plus duty depending on where the tires/rims were manufactured.
sssuperfly,Apr 9 2007, 10:05 AM Wrote:i thought that you only had to pay gst on things you declare at the border
[right][snapback]233909[/snapback][/right]
Important info straight from Canada Border Services Agency (relevant to installed wheels / rims):

Repairs or modifications to your vehicle outside Canada
CBSA info on repairs / modifications to vehicle outside Canada

In addition to GST, the CBSA collects PST at the border, as quoted below:

CBSA Memorandum D2 Wrote:3. Ontario
( a ) In Ontario, PST is collected on the province’s taxable base on most non-commercial goods (examples of exemptions include books, footwear valued under $30, children’s clothing, vitamins, dietary supplements, wood for fuel, and vehicles) imported through any stream and is calculated on the value for GST.
( b ) A specific provincial tobacco tax applies to cigarettes, tobacco sticks, and tobacco products other Canada through the travellers stream only. There is no PST on alcohol products.
( c ) For alcohol products, PST is collected on non-commercial importations entering Canada through the travellers stream only. PST is calculated on the value for GST plus provincial alcohol markup.

border guard can be a might picky. Trust me, I cross the Ambassador almost every night. Just tell them when/if they ask you if you have anything to declare, "yea, I got some tires, that's all"
Well I think if your state side for more then 48 hours you can bring back $750 in stuff duty free.
I think I am putting the new tires/rims on the car and have the old in the backseat. To get around the shiney new rim look I am going to wash the car before I cross back so if they say anything to the affect of " those are new looking rims " I can just answer thanks I just washed them.. or something. I am going to get a hand written receipt for the sale of the " used tires " I bought which I don't know what dollar amount to put on them. I think you get away from paying GST or maybe even duty if it's under $100

I think a price that low might raise suspicion but what can they say if I have a receipt???

Quote:What are your personal exemptions?
After each absence of 24 hours or more
You can claim up to CAN$50 worth of goods
without paying any duties. This is your personal
exemption. You must have the goods with you when
you arrive and you cannot include tobacco products
or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the
goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$50 in
total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead you
have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.
After each absence of 48 hours or more
You can claim up to CAN$200 worth of goods without
paying any duties. Although you can include some
tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, only a
partial exemption will apply to cigarettes, tobacco
products, or manufactured tobacco. See the section
“Alcohol and tobacco” for more details. Also, you
must have the goods with you when you arrive.
After each absence of 7 days or more
You can claim up to CAN$750 worth of goods
without paying any duties. Although you can
include some tobacco products and alcoholic
beverages, only a partial exemption will apply to
cigarettes, tobacco products, or manufactured
tobacco. See the section “Alcohol and tobacco” for
more details. With the exception of tobacco
products and alcoholic beverages, you do not need
to have the goods with you when you arrive.
To calculate the number of days you have been
absent, do not include the date you leave Canada,
but include the date you return. Dates matter, not
times. For example, we consider you to have been
absent seven days if you left Friday the 7th and
returned Friday the 14th.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc40...44-06e.pdf
You pay PST thats it. Declare your purchase at the booth give them the receipt even if you have them mounted do the same thing.

It's pretty hard to make it worth it these days unless your getting a really good deal even with the US dollar doing so poorly.

You can generally find places in Canada that are within $15 or $20 a tire.
Euro Ford Fan,Apr 11 2007, 10:26 AM Wrote:You pay PST thats it.  Declare your purchase at the booth give them the receipt even if you have them mounted do the same thing.[right][snapback]234221[/snapback][/right]
I have a PO box in NY and I bring stuff back across the border two or three times a month, sometimes once a week.

Statements made at the booth are "informal" and on the basis of what you say you may or may not be asked to make a formal declaration.

Regularly I pay nothing because I'm not asked to make a formal declaration ... but on those occasions where I do have to make a formal declaration I have to pay both GST and PST without fail. The only PST exceptions are the ones I noted in an earlier post (footwear below $30 etc) and AFAIK there are no GST exceptions.

On occasion I've made an informal declaration of goods worth as much as $150 to $160 US without being asked to make a formal declaration ... but for a single day trip anything over that and you can almost bet the house you'll be asked to make a formal declaration (which means you pay taxes and possibly duty) - and if that happens you better have a receipt.

Are these Nitto tires?
Make up a reciept for the used ones. Say that you came over to pick up some used ones for your other car. I got away with it once. But it all depends on the border guard too.
redZX3,Apr 11 2007, 08:42 PM Wrote:Make up a reciept for the used ones. Say that you came over to pick up some used ones for your other car. I got away with it once. But it all depends on the border guard too.
[right][snapback]234295[/snapback][/right]

probably your best bet...
just be careful with that, If he wants to be an ass he just has to get out of his seat and see the fact your new tires are actually on the car. Atleast take the stickers out of the tires :)
mo_focus,Apr 12 2007, 09:36 PM Wrote:just be careful with that, If he wants to be an ass he just has to get out of his seat and see the fact your new tires are actually on the car. Atleast take the stickers out of the tires :)
[right][snapback]234485[/snapback][/right]

yeah that's the whole thing. If I get the prick at the boarder that wants to make me sweat, then yeah I'll be hassled. Yeah the stickers are the first thing coming off... that and the nubs haha
CanadaSVT,Apr 12 2007, 12:34 AM Wrote:Are these Nitto tires?
[right][snapback]234294[/snapback][/right]

Nope, why do you ask?
Pages: 1 2