FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Possible 2nd Car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've stumbled onto an '85 Saab 900. Excellent body, 150,000km, reverse mounted 4cyl 8v (non turbo), standard, fwd, 4 whl disks.
Needs front brakes, possibly passenger side caliper work owner said it seemed like it was biting !
It started easily despite having sat for awhile (week or 2 is my guess).
Rad core might need to be replaced, new battery ( for peace of mind). I'm really not sure what to look for fault wise. I priced the rad new out at $90US, new tires (same size at the focus funny enough) easily purchase, brakes can be had for $32/disc, pads no price yet. The suspension seems ok although I haven't had a chance to drive it yet.
For $650 I'm not sure if I should be running or seriously considering this thing.

Anyone with older Saab specific experience?

Thanks,

Jeremy
It's a dog. Expect zero performance out of it. However, if it's a commuter-mobile... you're set.

It seems as though it's missing a one in front of that price in my world. Any collision history?
My Dad used to drive one of those back in the day. I'm not sure what they are like now, but I do know that working on them was bitch and repairs / parts were uber $$$

If I was after performance (read speed), I wouldn't be driving a focus or a wagon. I am after a car that is a pleasure to drive.

As for the $1000 missing, it is 22yrs old. For that age it is in great condition, but not mint. From looking the car over, I don't think it's been in an accident, no sagging doors, major frame rub etc. Many of the original stickers and labels on the door sills and under the hood are intact. I'm waiting for some prices from a 'local' Saab used parts place ( local like on this side of Toronto but not in London). However, the parts I've sourced are no more expensive than the focus.

Anthony, this could be the one your dad DID drive back in the day!
My dad has worked one one before and says they are a bit " Quirky " and they are not bad at that age, so long as the frame rails and under body are good, and they have electrical blips every once and a while.

I know there is a guy that fixes nothing but Saabs, I think he lives between Furgus & Mount Forest, I've remember passing his farm and it has like 20 or 30 old Saabs parked in and around his shop & driveway.
This one is mounted like a straight 6, but backwards. Lots of room to work around the engine too.
The guy you saw in Mount Forest is one the parts sources I've been dealing with. Seems active on Saab Forums too.
The Dad of a friend of mine, when I was in high school, managed Saab on Bay, Rolls Royce on Bay so I am somewhat familiar and have seat time in them all. Nice back in the day especially the 9000 Turbo.

Bonus is that I believe the 900 has the same wheel bolt pattern as the Focus though!?

I really wouldn't bother with any 20+ year old car of any kind let alone an import (other than a Japanese one) unless you have too much time and money on your hands.

If the budget "out the door and certified" is <$2000 there are better, more reliable less cost/time/effort choices. If you can hold out till September I have a deal for you:

[Image: P3171223.jpg]
[Image: P3171222.jpg]

My mom is 70+ and has said she will give up on driving then, that's a jewel of a car. It's a '91 Dodge Shadow "fast back" (aka Hatch), nobody other than my mom has driven it the past 10 years, dad had died and my brother and I moved out by then. Any offer <$2000 would be gracious.

3pd auto though.
I've done some co-op over in a Saab dealership in Ottawa...the newer ones are better. Trust me when I say you'll be ordering a lot of parts direct from Saab.
j3rt,Apr 6 2007, 02:48 PM Wrote:I am after a car that is a pleasure to drive.
[right][snapback]233553[/snapback][/right]

Then get a 20 year old Alfa. Problem solved. :)

I wouldn't be getting a 20 year-old Saab.
Andrew you got pm'd
Pics just so everyone knows what i'm talking about.
[Image: saab1.JPG]
[Image: saab2.JPG]
If it's the factory paint it's pretty good , a 2nd car is always nice if you 1st car is a project car.

Why don't you get a 2nd Focus like I did ? My daily driver gets all parts from my 03 when needed and the new parts goes on the 03.. So I'm bulding a nice ride and recycle all kind of parts . Like right now I need a flex on my 00 so since I removed one from my 03 to put the SVT set up the 00 will get it , no need to buy new parts I already have them.

By the way the Shadow or Sundance is very clean , I use to have one when I was living in LOndon and I was driving from Quebec to London pretty often and the thing had 200K , was running like a charm and very economical. Very good car in my opinion and inexpensive to fix.. B)
Those 900s are a very solid car, my Parents had an 81 900 EMS...can't remember what the EMS stood for...my dad said it meant "Extra Mean Sucka" lol...

The only ones that are overly pricey to fix are the Turbo and SPG models, both of which will be harder to find, and to get parts for. I've seen the Saab/Volvo guy's place that Frost mentioned, and I know of other places and people that are good with them too. Don MacNeil, the owner of Motorworks Automotive services is a Saab guy, as is Bruce Kitchen of Bruce Kitchen Automotive. Both of those places are in Brantford.
We missed the boat, someone put a deposit on it. Unless he renegs it's gone. But we found an Imprezza......
In my books, it's Alfetta GTV > Impreza > Saab 900.

Seriously, if I ever get one it's perma goofy grin time.

Good luck on the Impreza!

Psst... STi swaps are dirt simple if you can afford the parts.
My lord we have the worst luck. I go to met buddy to see the Subaru which he's left at work. Sounds legit, not everyone has room at home between cars. I get there and he's all confused. THE CARS GONE!

He tracks it down to a pound around the block. This is out Dixie/401 Sunday nite. Ok I go alone with it. We get over to the pound and Rita is not into the situation. I'll admit it started to seem like a scam. I tell'em the dog is starting to throw up and we're gonna take off.
We arrange to meet today and the $250 pound fee has jumped to $470. I can't believe this, he says if I pay obviously he'll take it off the sale price. I haven't even seen this car yet !!! Dude was seriously in a bind, the only scam is that pound. I can't even make a lowball offer like "I'll pay to get it out and it's mine, 93 Imp for $470" without seeing it.
What a crazy day..... I can really pick'em.
i personally would never consider a super old car unless
a) it is assembled in japan
B) it is from a friend (or has full service history receipts)

its so easy for old cars to money pit ($100 here on brakes.. $90 here on rad.. $50 here for 02 sensor.. etc) plus the time you put in.. plus the possiblity of breakdown

its only worth it if you are a student.. or just love working on old POS cars for some reason

if you are looking for an impreza i will let my '02 wrx wagon go for $13k usd. stock since new, meticulously maintained. :) i use my bike like 90% of the time and parking ain't cheap in downtown SF....
naz,Apr 17 2007, 02:12 AM Wrote:i personally would never consider a super old car unless
a) it is assembled in japan
B) it is from a friend (or has full service history receipts)

its so easy for old cars to money pit ($100 here on brakes.. $90 here on rad.. $50 here for 02 sensor.. etc) plus the time you put in.. plus the possiblity of breakdown

its only worth it if you are a student.. or just love working on old POS cars for some reason

if you are looking for an impreza i will let my '02 wrx wagon go for $13k usd. stock since new, meticulously maintained.  :)  i use my bike like 90% of the time and parking ain't cheap in downtown SF....
[right][snapback]235067[/snapback][/right]

Wow! If only I had 13k!

Anyways, why not pick up a base spi? You should be able to pick one up cheap, and its 15 years newer at least