FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The idea WAS to save enegry but..............

April 03, Reuters — Early Daylight Saving Time has little impact on power usage. The early onset of Daylight Saving Time in the United States this year may have been for naught. The move to turn the clocks forward by an hour on March 11 rather than the usual early April date was mandated by the U.S. government as an energy−saving effort. But the move appears to have had little impact on power usage. "We haven't seen any measurable impact," said Jason Cuevas of Southern, one of the nation's largest power companies, echoing comments from several large utilities. That may come as no surprise to the Department of Energy, which last year predicted only modest energy savings because the benefits of the later daylight hour would be offset. For example, households may draw less electricity for lights at night, but will use more power in the early in the day as they wake to darker and chillier mornings. The U.S. Congress will evaluate the effects of the earlier switch to Daylight Saving Time.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007&#87...8722;bust_N.htm

Something else interesting I heard today. We all know Christmas is on a fixed day each year but Easter moves around. Easter is always teh first Sunday AFTER spring equinox and after the first full moon after that, usually early to mid April. Next year (2008) Easter will be in late March! The 23rd I believe.
I thought the whole idea was pretty retarded back when they first mentioned this. I don't understand how they plan on saving energy.

I think Arizona, part of Indiana, and Hawaii have it right. I think those are the only 2 1/2 states that don't observe it at all.

And only 1 1/2 provinces or something like that don't observe it?

Then again, you could spin it that the power company says there was no change, which could make congress change it back to the regular dates, and they reap the 3 weeks of rewards.
nah..this was a make-work project for the flagging IT industry.

I swear... this change had a larger impact than Y2K, and we're still fixing the problems it created!

God have mercey on Tivoli infrastructures!
[Image: dogretard.jpg]
darkpuppet,Apr 5 2007, 11:09 AM Wrote:nah..this was a make-work project for the flagging IT industry.

I swear... this change had a larger impact than Y2K, and we're still fixing the problems it created!

[right][snapback]233359[/snapback][/right]

No kidding! At the ISP, you'd be amazed how many calls we got because they couldn't get into some secure sites, timestamps on emails were off, etc.

Because the morons didn't read the email we sent to check/update their machines if they have automatic updates off
[Image: fail.jpg]
[Image: fail-motivational.jpg]
just because..

We knew this was coming, this is why we did manual timezone incrementing instead of the bastardized registry import for our Win2K boxes. Works like a charm.

As for the WinXP/2K3 stuff... MS better release a patch. :angry:
[Image: BTR.gif]
There was a patch for XP. Dunno whats up for 2k3 though.

On my father in law's 2000 machine I tried to use the tzedit utility, but just gave up and changed it manually.
^^^ gold!

Save these for tonight.
lol
torradan,Apr 5 2007, 11:44 AM Wrote:There was a patch for XP.  Dunno whats up for 2k3 though.

On my father in law's 2000 machine I tried to use the tzedit utility, but just gave up and changed it manually.
[right][snapback]233384[/snapback][/right]

Oh we're done patching it all using WSUS in-house. But, if they decide to revert to the "old" times for forward and back... I'll be SUPER pissed if we have to do them all by hand. In fact, it'll be near-impossible.
It's kind of nice to never ever have to think about daylight savings time.. the only thing that messes me up is that when the other time zones switch all the tv programming is 1 hour off.

guilty,Apr 5 2007, 07:02 PM Wrote:It's kind of nice to never ever have to think about daylight savings time.. the only thing that messes me up is that when the other time zones switch all the tv programming is 1 hour off.
[right][snapback]233470[/snapback][/right]

No worries, at least SK is easy to draw on a Geography test and I am optomistic that you'll pass.

Yeah, it was all a make work project for us in IT. I think I patched about 30 servers for clients, as well as numerous Cisco switches/routers and other various appliances. Not fun.

Thanks Dubya!

Ryan
I never understood the logic behind this change because all you were doing was shifting the energy use to earlier in the day anyways (If you're getting up earlier you're using power 'cause you're probably fumbling around in the dark right?) :rolleyes:

I swear, I'd like to meet the braintrust that came up with this idea and introduce them to my cane RECTALLY!

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,Apr 5 2007, 12:09 PM Wrote:nah..this was a make-work project for the flagging IT industry.

[right][snapback]233359[/snapback][/right]

Ugg tivoli here was messed for 2 days.
Not sure what Tivoli is, other than I recall it being an IBM product... right?

Nothing was horribly broken for us once we straightened out the times on our Domain Controllers... emails were just an hour out for time :)
Pages: 1 2