FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wheel Nuts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, So I have been having an on going argument with my boss at work b/c of focus wheel nuts. He claims that when we put steel wheels on a car that had aluminum wheels we have to change the nuts to the non exposed ones that arent chrome capped. He says that they had a car's wheel fall off b/c of the taper on the capped nuts being wrong for the steelies. Where I worked before I have put many sets of steel wheels on foci and never had a problem. The tech we used to have here "never did anything wrong and was never doubted when he worked here" just didnt want to admit he failed to tourque the wheels. Now that he is gone we are seeing soo many things that he had brainwashed everyone here come to the table and this is one of them. Now what I would like to know is if any body out there using steel wheels has ever been fed this line of b/s before. I have compared the nuts and the only difference in the nuts is the length. I even showed him the two nuts and he still wont let it go. Thanks for the info boys...
I put my winter tires and steel rims on the car on October 30th. So far, they haven't fallen off and I used the nuts off of the aluminum rims
oldeguy,Apr 4 2007, 01:12 PM Wrote:I put my winter tires and steel rims on the car on October 30th. So far, they haven't fallen off and I used the nuts off of the aluminum rims
[right][snapback]233223[/snapback][/right]

X2
I switch between my stock 15" rims and the 17" svt rims and all i use are the alluminums lugs and 1 locking lug per wheel. No problems ever.
snorcus,Apr 4 2007, 02:09 PM Wrote:He says that they had a car's wheel fall off  b/c of the taper on the capped nuts being wrong for the steelies. [right][snapback]233222[/snapback][/right]
I think this is the key statement ... if the steel wheel and the alloy wheel have the same type of taper where the nut meets the wheel (and they might not) then you could use the same nuts ... but if the steel wheel was different, then you'd have to use a different style nut ... I don't think it makes any difference though whether or not the nut is capped just as long as the nut is long enough to seat properly.
ZTWsquared,Apr 4 2007, 07:25 PM Wrote:
snorcus,Apr 4 2007, 02:09 PM Wrote:He says that they had a car's wheel fall off  b/c of the taper on the capped nuts being wrong for the steelies. [right][snapback]233222[/snapback][/right]
I think this is the key statement ... if the steel wheel and the alloy wheel have the same type of taper where the nut meets the wheel (and they might not) then you could use the same nuts ... but if the steel wheel was different, then you'd have to use a different style nut ... I don't think it makes any difference though whether or not the nut is capped just as long as the nut is long enough to seat properly.
[right][snapback]233254[/snapback][/right]

Exactly. The only other issue that may occur, is that if it were an aluminum rim, it's suggested to get them re-torqued after a few hundred kilometers. It has been known that the nut may back seat a small amount.
vy_MR2,Apr 4 2007, 03:44 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Apr 4 2007, 07:25 PM Wrote:
[right][snapback]233254[/snapback][/right]

Exactly. The only other issue that may occur, is that if it were an aluminum rim, it's suggested to get them re-torqued after a few hundred kilometers. It has been known that the nut may back seat a small amount.
[right][snapback]233261[/snapback][/right]
Re-torquing your wheel nuts, should be done after 100 kms or so everytime you take off a rim, if you are a do-it yourselfer
16" Ford Aloys + 14" Ford Steelies + Same nuts year round = No Problems for 2 winters.

I do check them every month or so, to be sure they are tight.
ZTWsquared is exactly right.

As for the aluminum wheels I always do that , torque them , drive a little , re-torque.
I've never had any problems either
wow man sounds llike your bose does lines off the water cooler
ZED_not_zee,Apr 4 2007, 11:56 PM Wrote:wow man sounds llike your bose does lines off the water cooler
[right][snapback]233309[/snapback][/right]
haha nicely put
Hes a good guy just clueless when it comes to cars, which is funny cause he is the fixed ops manager at a car dealership. Thanks for the replies .
Never had a problem yet. One winter with the stocker nuts, one winter with the aluminum nuts.