FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Odd "watery Burble" Noise At 2k In 1st?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to run it by the dealer this afternoon, but I just noticed it doing it this morning.

Under light or medium throttle from a dead stop, I hear a "trickle" of liquid behind the dash until about from 17-1800 until 22-2300 RPM. After that, all the way up 1st and then through 2nd/3rd/4th there's nothing. It's almost as if coolant is being brought up to the heater core or something, but I think the heater core is on the passenger side... is it not?

I eyeballed the coolant tank this morning when I got to work, but the car was warm and all seemed normal. It doesn't help that the rain has been steady here for 3 days now so watching for a leak is impossible.

Have any other Duratec owners noticed this noise at all? It was faintly audible at low volume - I had to turn the stereo off just to really hear it.

Also, it doesn't do it in Park or Neutral that I can hear. Not sure about Reverse yet. I'll also do a start or two with the heater off... I had it on this morning. Also, I'll fit in a run with the heat selector all the way to Cold.
I can't say as I've ever heard that no... oddest noise I get is at 60km/h a weird whistling that goes away as soon as I pass 65km/h or so. Ford's heard it but can't comment on the cause. This was back when everything was stock. Since the intake upgrade the whistling is very intermittent, which suggests a leak of air somewhere on the intake side.

Double check your coolant levels when stone cold though... you may find as I did that the coolant level has dropped from where it was when you inspected the car at pickup (Mine went from the MAX line to the MIN line, 500ml total)

I added more coolant in my case and haven't seen the level drop since.

NefCanuck
No i dont have that noise on my 07... its a MTX though.
Hmm... I'm leaving at 4PM today to take it to Stockfish's service for a technician ride-along. Hell, he can drive. I just want to know if it's normal or not.

I talked to my boss and his 2006 Xterra does the same thing at this time of year with the heat on... something about the coolant mix?

Meh, not horribly worried but kinda annoyed... potentially over nothing :lol:

I'll see what the dealer says after work.
probably just vtec kickin in.
^^Should I tune my wastegate before I go?
Flofocus,Apr 3 2007, 12:20 PM Wrote:probably just vtec kickin in.
[right][snapback]233043[/snapback][/right]

Is that Variable Trickle Engine Compartment? :lol: :lol:

Sorry NOS, don;t wanna make merry of your concern, just couldn't resists doing the acronym thing.

Hope it's not too serious. One question....does the focus shut of the water to the heater block in the car, or is it just a cover. If it's a cover, then it could well be coolant moving to the heater block as the water pump speeds up (assuming it does)...but why only at those revs/load is beyond me, especially if not happening in other gears.

I hate to ask, but are you sure it's water you're hearing, and not something 'rubbing' or 'rattling' that sounds like water?

S.
It sounds an awful lot like a liquid, I can't hear it any more clearly with the window down.

I'm kinda stumped, but this may well be my best over-reaction yet. Given that the car still hasn't hit 6000KMs... I don't want to blow anything up.

It doesn't sound like a rattle or a rub that I can make out.
Not to make light of the situation, but my 2006 Duratec makes a LOT of funny noises... a lot more than my old rust bucket at that, and Ford doesn't seem to know where/what is causing any of them..

As much as a PITA it is to do it, keep bringing the car in while it's still under warranty, until they address the problem. I've given up on having them diagnose my car, and I just hope it holds out with no major repairs until I can finish financing the car.
Could be air getting into the coolant. Might try running the car without the coolant cap tightened, but this may throw a code.

And Chica that's just too easy. But I'll look under your hood for ya. :fluffy: Seriously, if you have noises, your doing the right thing by taking it to the dealer. Everytime.
Aaaaaaaaaand it stopped doing it. I went to the dealer and scheduled an appointment to check that and a weird steering column "clunk" that happens occasionally when moving the wheel off-centre. Not loud, not wiggly or disconnected... just a "clunk" as it moves.

I'll drop it off Monday morning and see what they say through the day.