FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: How To Reset Abs Warning Light?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
During my brake upgrade on the weekend, the ABS system detected a problem (ABS warning light is on). I've checked all connections etc., so I'm hoping it was just a temporary glitch. Later today I plan to scan the diagnostic trouble codes and reset them.

Other than resetting the DTCs, does anyone know if anything further needs to be done to "reset" the ABS system?

TIA...
I just did my brakes and the same thing happened. I erased the codes but the light didnt go out. If you find a way, let me know too
Is the ABS sensor working?
drive the car for 10 minutes or so - this should clear them - if not make sure the sensor wires were hooked back up - if not you might want to disconnect yr battery for 5 min or so

these always come on when i get work done - that and the traction control light - lol
focusnme,Apr 3 2007, 09:06 PM Wrote:drive the car for 10 minutes or so - this should clear them - if not make sure the sensor wires were hooked back up - if not you might want to disconnect yr battery for 5 min or so

these always come on when i get work done - that and the traction control light - lol
[right][snapback]233122[/snapback][/right]

I disconnected the battery overnight, and the ABS light came on as soon as I started the car the next morning. Either it's latched a temporary failure, or I've got a permanent failure somewhere in the system.
hmmmm - thats a good one - take it in...
did you change the wheel bearing?
If you did then you probably put the bearing in wrong way, one side is magnetized.
I dont think a scanner will clear it, it may be a job for Ford or a shop that has a computer with diagnostic software.
I had the same problem.....I took it to ford after trying everything and they couldnt diagnose the problem either.....I just disconnected the light after ford couldnt do anything
D-Dub,Apr 21 2007, 05: Wrote:did you change the wheel bearing?
If you did then you probably put the bearing in wrong way, one side is magnetized.
I dont think a scanner will clear it, it may be a job for Ford or a shop that has a computer with diagnostic software.
[right][snapback]235765[/snapback][/right]
Your right, a regular scanner won't clear the ABS codes, since it only talks to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). But this one (which I bought) is able to talk the ABS module and clear the codes. It tells me both rear wheels sensors have "no signal". I can clear the codes, but they come back again I soon as the car moves, so it looks like I have hard failure of some kind.

Now to find the time to look into it...

Ivan MacKenzie.