FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Winterizing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wondering what you guys do with your cars to get ready for the winter.

Im just wondering if i should toss my stock springs back in (i got h&r race springs right now).

I installed some molded mudflaps from work this past week and now they bottom out on almost everything FTL.
Well, if you lowered your car an extreme amount but you have the means to raise it back up? I would say do it, to save yourself some serious hassles, esp. in deeper snow. That's the one thing I'm slightly worried about and I only lowered my car 1.4" (AWD doesn't help if your front end is a plow :P)

NefCanuck
i have the h&r race springs, 2+inch drop. i put a stock front bumper on with 15in wheels on snowtires, then i plow into the snow haha
I have snows on the Focus but if it looks like it's bad I drive my FX4, FTW! :ph34r:
My winter prep:

-fabric guard the interior
-Swap out summer mats for weathertech digital fit floor liners (everybody should buy these)
-Swap to winter tires, at the same time, I give my brakes a good cleaning, lube caliper pins, and spray white lithium grease around the hub to ensure the winter rims come off easily next spring.
-Crowned (Rust proof)
-Apply Paint Sealant to exterior
-Apply 2-3 coats of wax
-Clean Battery terminals
-Check all fluids, flush if needed
Flofocus,Nov 26 2009, 12:17 PM Wrote:My winter prep:

-fabric guard the interior
-Swap out summer mats for weathertech digital fit floor liners (everybody should buy these)
-Swap to winter tires, at the same time, I give my brakes a good cleaning, lube caliper pins, and spray white lithium grease around the hub to ensure the winter rims come off easily next spring.
-Crowned (Rust proof)
-Apply Paint Sealant to exterior
-Apply 2-3 coats of wax
-Clean Battery terminals
-Check all fluids, flush if needed
[right][snapback]297773[/snapback][/right]

I'll be doing some of that this weekend, to both cars.
oops...forgot 1 step...

-Lube all weather stripping
A small shovel, winter boots, extra socks, hat & mitts, matches & candle.... maybe some snacks.

If your car is stuck in the snow and needs a tow, chances are it's the same day when everyone else does too.

xXCMGXx,Nov 26 2009, 03:53 AM Wrote:Just wondering what you guys do with your cars to get ready for the winter.

Im just wondering if i should toss my stock springs back in (i got h&r race springs right now).

I installed some molded mudflaps from work this past week and now they bottom out on almost everything FTL.
[right][snapback]297763[/snapback][/right]
Warm boots, a bag of dope, rolling papers, some munchies, a warm blanket, kleenex and some K-Y.

Because if you're stuck in the snow and need a tow, chances are it's the same day when everyone else does too.

May as well keep yourself entertained.
I put the stock air box back in.
The Volant goes on the shelf.
ANTHONYD,Dec 4 2009, 03:54 PM Wrote:I put the stock air box back in.
The Volant goes on the shelf.
[right][snapback]298063[/snapback][/right]

Why?
It's not a CAI it's short ram.
Mine was great in the winter times.

I oil spray my cars twice a year and it does the trick agains the rust.

To OP:
Don't bother swapping your lowering springs, you're not rolling on coilovers that can seize up with our salt. Or other wise its an alignment cost right when you do the swap and alignment cost when you'll be doing this swap next summer.

Flow: Got any good vandor for weathertech mats?
NikiterZTS,Dec 4 2009, 05:34 PM Wrote:Flow: Got any good vandor for weathertech mats?
[right][snapback]298067[/snapback][/right]

I do.

The lead importer into Canada is dear family friend. (Marcor)
I got a full set, all 3 rows for my Wife's new car for way under cost.

[Image: santa-fe2.jpg]
[Image: santa3.jpg]

They're wicked mats. By far the best on the market!

I'd call him for you, but because you're being a douche bag in the Cosworth thread, I'll suggest you try the dealer for a "sharp deal"

:lol:
What car did the wife get?
And they're not available for my Focus neither... that sucks.

For my winterizing process, very simple lol

Change over summers to all seasons (ya I know... winters are better)
Balance and rotate. Usually I clay bar and give it a couple coats of wax, but didn't have any time this year, maybe on a warm day i'll get it done before we get too much snow lol. I also use spray silicone on the weather stripping, and keep all the latches lubed to prevent freezing or sticking.

And that's pretty much it, I keep it clean all year to prevent any paint damage, and it has been undercoated just out of the factory with the 'permanent' stuff.
ANTHONYD,Dec 5 2009, 08:36 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Dec 4 2009, 05:34 PM Wrote:Flow: Got any good vandor for weathertech mats?

I do.

I'd call him for you, but because you're being a douche bag in the Cosworth thread, I'll suggest you try the dealer for a "sharp deal"

did I hurt your soft feelings over the Internet?

Nm it's all good.

:rolleyes:
[right][snapback]298091[/snapback][/right]
Winterizing is pul out the SPI, oil change on both cars, and park & cover Turbo Focus.

Same goes in spring. :D
NikiterZTS,Dec 5 2009, 01:03 PM Wrote:

I do.

Nm it's all good.

[right][snapback]298098[/snapback][/right]

Nope.
You didn't hurt my feelings at all. I couldn't give a flying fig about your comments made on here.
I'm just saying, if you walk around being a douche bag know it all, it may hurt you when it comes to needing something from somebody.

It's all good Nik. I never had a problem with you dude.
Peace.
Oversize snow tires. Done. Otherwise, just maintenance as usual and -45C windshield washer fluid.

I have one of those electronic anti-rust, polarizing modules. So far, so good. The only rust I've found is on the front rotors by the studs :P
ANTHONYD,Dec 7 2009, 10:12 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Dec 5 2009, 01:03 PM Wrote:

I do.

Nm it's all good.

[right][snapback]298098[/snapback][/right]

Nope.
You didn't hurt my feelings at all. I couldn't give a flying fig about your comments made on here.
I'm just saying, if you walk around being a douche bag know it all, it may hurt you when it comes to needing something from somebody.

It's all good Nik. I never had a problem with you dude.
Peace.
[right][snapback]298138[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I'm such a douche bag for posting such a rare car that everyone drools about. Seriosly think about it. :blink:
Makes no sense.

What if I posted Focus RS?

Adam tell me more about that electronic rust control please.
I'm no rust module rocket scientist, I just know that they've put a lifetime warranty against corrosion on my Escape by having one on there and having it inspected either yearly or every other year... I think it's yearly. I'd have to go check the pamphlet for it at home.

It looks like a little ignition module... but it has a red "in service" LED on it and it's sitting on my driver's side strut tower facing inboard toward the engine. It supposedly polarizes the sheetmetal, keeping rust from forming.

Again, it's a 2008 (with 68,000 KMs) but I see no rust anywhere on the truck. This is a good thing. Time will tell if it's a worthwhile investment. Something tells me that it was. FWIW, my 2001 Focus sedan had rust at 55k.

Supposedly they use them on the MTO salt trucks and plow trucks to avoid rust-through. I've yet to actually ask a plow driver if he has one of those things under his hood.

It cost me $300 or so when I bought the truck, and it's a $20 inspection fee each time.
Pages: 1 2