FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Throttle Body - Worth The Hasel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I did a search on the site regarding 65 mm TB's.
[Image: S-FC-SVTTB.jpg]
I wanted to get an idea of how effective they are.
I didn't get a really good idea of people that installed them found much of a benefit.

What I did find is that most people had lots of issues with rough idle's and hesitation with a good amount of tweaking involved.

I'm looking at a used FC TB and really am not getting a good feel as to why people are using them.

For anyone that has one installed, what changes did you see to your car after this was done? What's different, would you do it again? Did you set it and forget it or are you under the hood tweaking every 6 months?

Cheers
Quote:  Quote by : OAC_Sparky

Generally throttle body spacers on an injected engine are useless.

The purpose of spacers on a carbureted car serve to change the airflow and give more time for the fuel to mix with air more uniformly.

Since our engines inject the fuel into the intake runners directly before the head, you could add a 20" spacer and it would not change anything, except usually add turbulence to the airflow system, which makes it worse, not better.

Unless you're using the spacer as a port for nitrous (and to be honest, I haven't looked at a spray setup on our cars and don't know if that's where it's injected into the system (it is in a carbureted car)), I would say you're wasting money.
I'd say this is a good mod for an auto, but for a manual I've found that porting the throttle body gives you a nice controlable responce. The 65mm tb's just give too much off the line.

Save your money for something better, spend $5 and port the stock one.
I had alot of ppl tell me it was worth it. Personally, I didnt feel any gains at all. Even in the High Performance Ford Focus book I just bought, it says that the differece between the two is very minimal. You have to either get a dual runner intake manifold which will make a bit of a difference or fab up the stock Ztec one by port-matching. My next step is to get the dual runner manifold from an SVT. So basically, it up to you........My two cents is I didnt notice a difference, so it wasnt worth it to me.
I put on a 65mm throttle body not to long ago, and I can say its a night and day difference when it comes to response. My car pulls outta 1st and 2nd like a bat outta hell. I mean when I boot it now its instant response, theres no hesitation or gradual bump in rpms. For instance, i was driving at about 60km/h in 5th and I wanted to have a little fun so I dropped her into 2nd and for the first time ever the tire broke loose from a roll :lol: Overall, the throttle body is worth every penny for me because it made my car that more responsive and that much more fun to drive. Just my $0.02 ;)

And I forgot to mention, no ideling/hesitation problems at all. I never had to mess with anything.
hardk0re,Apr 1 2007, 10:30 AM Wrote:I'd say this is a good mod for an auto, but for a manual I've found that porting the throttle body gives you a nice controlable responce.  The 65mm tb's just give too much off the line. 

[right][snapback]232704[/snapback][/right]

What do you mean by 'port the stock one'?
Sorry, I'm new to this and still learning!
if i had to do it all again...i'd port my stock one and same that $200 towards tune or something......TB's are too over pricedfor what they are.....but yea it gives u a good response

peeeeaaaace
Alec Brandon,Apr 1 2007, 05:01 PM Wrote:
hardk0re,Apr 1 2007, 10:30 AM Wrote:I'd say this is a good mod for an auto, but for a manual I've found that porting the throttle body gives you a nice controlable responce.  The 65mm tb's just give too much off the line. 

[right][snapback]232704[/snapback][/right]

What do you mean by 'port the stock one'?
Sorry, I'm new to this and still learning!
[right][snapback]232782[/snapback][/right]

I can do this for you...

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=58
I can do this for you...

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=58
[right][snapback]233059[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is one of those mods where pictures would sure be nice.
Where do you live? I'm in the Ottawa area...
sorry aint got no pics....search for it on google...type How to port stock Focus TB

Im sure pics will come up.

Im in the Ottawa area also, Rockland to be specific.
a 65 mm TB dosn't give you to much off the line.. don;t press it down the whole way? and it's a big help that all it takes is a blip to rev match with your toe while on the brakes in a downshift...

great mod fro drivability and power,,, I ported and filled a stock one befor i bought my aftermarket.. big diffrence between the two,,, plus the after market one is velocity stacked which is a whole diffrent animal... :ph34r:
Get it!
Nothing's worth enduring the Hoff... especially if he's singing. :ph34r:
This is interesting... half the group says get it, big difference while the other half says they didn't notice any differnece save your money...

Lost and confused on what to do!
well even if u get it i recommend on puttin ported 2000k intake manifold
im looking for one currently
Well theres no point in getting a throttle body if you havn't done the exhaust and intake. But with that combination and a power chip I am sure you'll see a difference with the 65mm TB.