FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Timing Chain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I've got a dumb question. Seeing as how the timing belt replacement is a "challenge" or expensive, does anyone know if a Zetec timing belt to timing chain conversion has been invented.
don't really know if it has but ............. I personally wouldn't neglect this as its very $$$$ if the belt breaks. I would be strict in changing this on time !!
No neglect intended. I've got my buddy lined up to assist me is this endevour. I was just thinking it would be a great idea to be able to convert from a belt to a chain. Zetec, from what I hear, is a non-interference engine. Duratec has a chain. Next Focus will be a Duratec.
How many KM's do you have on your engine?
hardk0re,Mar 27 2007, 11:24 AM Wrote:How many KM's do you have on your engine?
[right][snapback]232148[/snapback][/right]
I have 170,000 KM on my focus and have never changed the belt.
Will be looking to do that soon.
Alec Brandon,Mar 27 2007, 04:00 PM Wrote:I have 170,000 KM on my focus and have never changed the belt.
Will be looking to do that soon.
[right][snapback]232150[/snapback][/right]

Not sure what the manual says but I'd say your overdue :unsure: Timing belts and chains are critical to stick to the change interval ............. or else its expensive repairs.
I was told by the dealer that it isn't needed until over 200k
what Anthony said. The Ford service manual says 200,000km

DRyanC
For the record doing timing is not a do it your self in one day kinda job. And getting it up in the air will help alot.
Not a fun job, did it on an MX3 a few years back with a friend... Just pay to get it done.
Not to mention if you screw it up and dont line up the timing right.

As for when it should be done.
130K is the normal. I dont know about the focus, might be different for some reason.
Mason,Mar 27 2007, 01:43 PM Wrote:For the record doing timing is not a do it your self in one day kinda job. And getting it up in the air will help alot.
Not a fun job, did it on an MX3 a few years back with a friend... Just pay to get it done.
[right][snapback]232164[/snapback][/right]

If it took you longer than a day, please drop the wrench. :rolleyes:
Flofocus,Mar 27 2007, 02:55 PM Wrote:
Mason,Mar 27 2007, 01:43 PM Wrote:For the record doing timing is not a do it your self in one day kinda job. And getting it up in the air will help alot.
[right][snapback]232164[/snapback][/right]

If it took you longer than a day, please drop the wrench. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]232174[/snapback][/right]

Ever done it on an MX3... It wasnt any fun with the V6 crammed in that car
Took one and a half days
^^
on zetec it can be done in couple hours.

Focus Is Art,Mar 27 2007, 05:08 PM Wrote:^^
on zetec it can be done in couple hours.
[right][snapback]232195[/snapback][/right]

good to know.
Oh man, it took me literally 5 minutes to do it on my old Holden.. FWD FTL when it comes to timing belts..
welll if your going to the trouble of changing the belt get some after market adjustable cam sprockets... and make a half day out of it? It took me 4.5 hrd to do the belt tensioner and sprockets... BUT the forst time I did just the belt it took me like 6 hrs LOL!!!!

as for a chain... I think I some kit cars in the UK that run zetecs using a chain set up.. along side there side draft weber carbs .. that was kinda cool BTW...

the nice thing about the chin is that iw ill stretch but it's less likly to snap and the Zetec IS an interferince motor isn't it?
Aftermarket camp sprockets are a cash grab. Nothing more.
ZED_not_zee,Mar 29 2007, 01:39 AM Wrote:Zetec IS an interferince motor isn't it?
[right][snapback]232354[/snapback][/right]
Dont think so
Mason,Mar 29 2007, 08:31 AM Wrote:Aftermarket camp sprockets are a cash grab. Nothing more.
[right][snapback]232378[/snapback][/right]

lol.

:rolleyes: