FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Idle Speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings everyone, i'm pretty sure this isn't new, but, I re-did my valve cover gasket on the weekend, and had the battery disconnected. Since putting things back together, I'm running a high idle. When it starts up first time it's around a 1,000 r.p.m. This morning after the drive in, it was idling at around 2,000 r.p.m. before shutting it off. On the drive it is was running a little high diuring the stop and go stuff on the highway. I haven't done the DPFE or anything else, except change the TPS last year.
Is your valve cover tourqued to spec might be a leak other than that just unhook the ground on the battery give it a little while hook it back up and see if that works.
I only get this when its really cold, I just shut the car off and back on again and things seem to level out.

I don't see changing the valve cover gasket could cause anything like this, I know removing the batt will cause some irratic driving for a few KM but I don't recall anything such as high idle...

I had a leak on the valve cover gasket 3 years ago and nothing happened to my idle. I'd check the throttle body first for idle issues.
I'm thinking, after I hit my head on a brick wall, that when I hooked the battery up again, all I did was start it up to check for leaks, but, I didn't go out on the road and give the computer time to relearn.
oldeguy,Mar 27 2007, 07:58 AM Wrote:I'm thinking, after I hit my head on a brick wall, that when I hooked the battery up again, all I did was start it up to check for leaks, but, I didn't go out on the road and give the computer time to relearn.
[right][snapback]232124[/snapback][/right]

bingo!

It takes more than a couple of minutes around idle for the computer to re-learn the proper idle speed. You can start your car, drive off, go on the highway and it will still be trying to find the right idle an hour later.
I had idle issues with my car but after I did the exhaust it runs pretty smooth.
if you find my - high idle thread - i just went thru 3 months of this crap -

if it isnt fixed - replace the power steering sensor 130$

trust me this will solve the prob

I was having this problen too. What it was, is a collapsed hose just under the back of the throttle body.....it was trying to take air in but it was hard for it to do, causing the high idle. Check the hose, it is apparently a big issue at the dealership I used to work at, we had quite a few come in with the problem, thats how they found mine so quick.
Could be the IAC aswell.
Finally, the car is idling properly, but, I'm smelling fuel when idling. No leaks as far as I can tell.