FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Virus Scanner For Vista
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought a lap top that came with vista and I "forced" the install of mcafee.....bad idea. After the install the computer crashed and I had to do a restore. My question is, what is a good working virus scanner for Vista?

AVG will work with Vista no problem.
Also, TBH, there is no reason on this earth to buy a resource hog like McAffee or Norton etc, when there are so many many GOOD free applications like AVG out there.

Those 'BIG' names often do more damage than good on your machine, installing stuff that you can rarely get rid of, and causing trouble with other applications as well.

Just my 2c.

:ph34r:
I'll chime in as supporting Norton AV... it's never done anything wrong on my systems over the years unless *I* break it (Usually installing a rogue program that pooches it)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Mar 26 2007, 08:33 PM Wrote:I'll chime in as supporting Norton AV... it's never done anything wrong on my systems over the years unless *I* break it (Usually installing a rogue program that pooches it)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]232080[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, that's usually the problem Nef....the average user can't fix the danged things when something else messes with them. I mean, on a clean installed machine, they run and behave just fine. It's all the problems that come later on that turn them into monsters.

Again, just my 2c, but I've got some sour experience fixing machines with those problems.....I usually end up removing the BIG AV's...and going with the free ones, or paid smaller ones like AVG.

well I d/l AVG and it says I have to pay, but i thought it was free??

I guess not
I got a new Pc with vista and I bought Mcafee, so it won't install? I haven't installed it because I'm using a free try-out of norton.
AVG is free

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tp...anti-virus-free

As far as McAfee & Norton.. if you only use the AV its not so bad, usually. Except for mail scanning. If you start using their security center/internet security programs, thats when things to retarded. I encounter lots of this stuff at work, and it makes me want to pull my hair out.
I got mcafee and I cant even delete it now dman garbage.
try this:
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...essage.id=51817

or maybe this:
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_ful..._my_system.html

if its not working let me know, i know someone at the office has more info on removing that craptastic crap.
Scorpion,Mar 26 2007, 10:58 PM Wrote:Again, just my 2c, but I've got some sour experience fixing machines with those problems.....I usually end up removing the BIG AV's...and going with the free ones, or paid smaller ones like AVG.
[right][snapback]232097[/snapback][/right]

please be VERY careful of free AV programs folks... AVG is decent enough, but searching the 'net for 'free' antivirus will often lead you to Malware virus programs that will really screw up your system.

AVG is one of the few decent free spy software packages out there... if you don't want to pay, stick with AVG.

AVG is good too because it's also supported by Microsoft Corp. Probably the only anti-virus company Microsoft actually supports.
I'll restrain myself this morning and say that "big AV" companies exist for a reason - because you'd be hard-pressed to trust free AV when you're responsible for an entire network of servers and users. Free AV companies tend to take the "oh well" route when something they do breaks something of yours. Tech support tends to be less-than-stellar too.

We run McAfee here (have for over 5 years) and I watch our detection reports very carefully. GroupShield for Exchange has to be one of the best on-transport scanners I've ever seen/used/read about. VirusScan 8.5i has a great suite for protection.

Hell, we ran into a scenario where by default McAfee Enterprise 8.0i/8.5i stopped our email archiving software from replaying a message because we hadn't made a policy "allow" for an IIS process. That is what keeps you from being much closer to a bot-infected open relay (or an ever-present IIS overflow/hole exploited-bot), something that can be potentially quite damaging to a company's reputation and revenue flow.

*gets off his Sys. Admin soapbox, goes for hot chocolate*
AVG also sells their product to businesses (and they have server solutions)... but its free for the everyday joe who needs something for their personal computer at home.
Dont install mcafee 2007 on you comp with vista!!!
Like I said I had to restore from the last good config

I obtained the serial for AVG and its working fine, we'll see how it does.