FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Pop Goes The 4g63
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
as you know it was a nice day in south western ontario... some freinds and I went on a cruise tonight... and sure enough first night out and one of us blows up...

Typical New to boost mistake One freind gave another freind a boost controller other freind said "WOW 94 cost too much I'm puting in 87"

The akilise Heal of the 4G63 is it hit fuel cut around 22 PSI... lol simply put it takes away fuel at high boost (stupid) and leans out like crazy and POP Detonation!!

blew more oil than the Exxon valdeise and the manifold was so red you could light a smoke off it...

we the took the oil cap off to see if it was spooing up throught the valve seals ... and when he turned it over oil shot up like old faithfull and blew my freinds hat clean off (dumb asses) I stayed clear B/C I just knew lol

Lesson:

a boost controler is like a needle to a junkie you want more and more until you OD...
Problem #1. Never ever use less than 91 octane on a turbo. Secondly, as you said, a boost controller justs makes ppl want to go farther. I know with my MR2T, with all its mods, I would never go above 17 simply because the rest of the car can't do it. The fuel system, even though it was upgraded, would not be ideal for more unless I went with a Nemesis or something else of that nature.
Damn way to start the season.....
you should have taken photos LMAO
I guess your buddy knew s*** all about his car and the dangers of running 87 octane?

Serves him right.
87 works just fine in my engine...lol
who was it al?
:lol: Well at least thats one more DSM I dont have to worry about :lol:

Idiot - who runs 87 octane with boost?
Burnin21,Mar 24 2007, 01:07 PM Wrote::lol: Well at least thats one more DSM I dont have to worry about :lol:

[right][snapback]231831[/snapback][/right]

who runs 87 at 22 psi?!?!?!
I think it was more the fact that he was running 87 than the boost controller to blow it up.

But I agree...I'm always playing with my boost contoller. so easy, flick of a switch and you have instant power...its so much fun. :D

I took the car out yesterday...OMG, I missed her. :lol:
Boost Control for turbo - Not cheap

94 Octane gas - Avg. 10 cents a litre more expensive than 87

Watching someones motor blow up because they were too cheap to follow the recommended octane ratings - Priceless :P

NefCanuck
(Will gladly take his non boosted Duratec @ 87 octane thanks :lol:)
ZX5focused,Mar 24 2007, 12:26 PM Wrote:
Burnin21,Mar 24 2007, 01:07 PM Wrote::lol: Well at least thats one more DSM I dont have to worry about :lol:

[right][snapback]231833[/snapback][/right]

Who the hell runs 22 psi ?! I mean yeah, almost 2 bar is cool but.. stock engine?

Anyone who has the money to build an engine to take 22 psi has the money to afford the 91 octane..

And agreed.. who runs boost with 87? Especially on a DSM?

Smack this guy really hard.. 22 psi, 87 octane, DSM.. Is there really ANY surprise to this?
ex1z7,Mar 25 2007, 05:52 PM Wrote:

Who the hell runs 22 psi ?! I mean yeah, almost 2 bar is cool but.. stock engine?

Anyone who has the money to build an engine to take 22 psi has the money to afford the 91 octane..

Smack this guy really hard.. 22 psi, 87 octane, DSM.. Is there really ANY surprise to this?
[right][snapback]231922[/snapback][/right]

uhhh you clearly have no idea what a mean motor the mitsu 4G63... from the factory there good till over 400HP. there is no need to build the motor untill you get into 30 PSI+ problem is the stock ECM wont add fuel above 22 or so

and 22 PSI really is penuts I see 20 on my buissness partners STOCK DSM with 94 octane and an exhast Every day on the way to work.... and it's a 15 yr old car...

Also a Properly set up Turbo car can run 87 it just dosn't advance the timing when it starts to knock...
.... turbo + 87oct + boost controller + idiot behind the wheel on his madian voyage of the season = trouble
ZED_not_zee,Mar 26 2007, 02:19 AM Wrote:
ex1z7,Mar 25 2007, 05:52 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]231922[/snapback][/right]

uhhh you clearly have no idea what a mean motor the mitsu 4G63... from the factory there good till over 400HP. there is no need to build the motor untill you get into 30 PSI+ problem is the stock ECM wont add fuel above 22 or so

and 22 PSI really is penuts I see 20 on my buissness partners STOCK DSM with 94 octane and an exhast Every day on the way to work.... and it's a 15 yr old car...

Also a Properly set up Turbo car can run 87 it just dosn't advance the timing when it starts to knock...
[right][snapback]231963[/snapback][/right]

You obviously own a dsm..

f***, fine, let's get into this..

I agree, the 4G63/93 ARE potent, good engines, HOWEVER they are very common to failing (63) via crank walk etc. Obviously 22 psi IS peanuts if it blew this guys engine, and I don't care if you know of a 20 psi DSM that's still stock.. It doesn't change the fact that they are prone to failing - there are of course quite a few DSM's out there that wont die with no notice, but there are way too many out there that are extremely unreliable.

Yes, a PROPERLY SET UP TURBO CAR, Hence the PROPERLY.. Since when are most street driven cars, that run 87, perfectly tuned 24/7/365? It's the day it flops that your engine pops.

Please don't tell me I don't know anything, I'm sure near everyone here will agree that high boost and low octane don't mix for daily driving reliability, especially when tuning isn't always 100% perfect.
Seeing as what you said about 87 octane is technically correct... who the hell goes to the trouble of running 22 lbs of smack and then handicaps it with 87 octane? WITHOUT RETUNING?

If he was tuned for 91+, then running 87 in it is ASKING for a whupping.
Um, boost and low octane don't mix.. period..

you'd have to retard your timing so much that your EGTs would be through the roof, or you're running way too low compression and/or a way too restricted intake manifold...
hahaha this topic is so funny 87 octane and 22 psi on a mitsu motor

400 is block not internals and you'd have to be running a better fuel pump for that kind of boost....its was bound to happen. Hopefully he can find another engine or start looking for a better car.