FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: See If You Can Solve This One
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I noticed recently that alot of winshield washer fluid was dripping down on to the ground. I also noticed that the puddle was directly below the washer tank, now it would only leak if I completely filled the tank (you could see the fluid) and I drove and then stopped somewhere, not if I left it overnight or something. When I drove it, you could also see a big streak of fluid on the ground, but again it would only do this if the tank was completely full.

I was at the dealership today anyway, so I had buddy check it, he took off the fender, removed the tank and checked the entire system, didnt find a single leak, crack or anything of the sort.

I really dont care, I'll just fill it to the point where I cant see the fluid. I was just wondering what you guys think.

The only thing I could think of is the cover for the tank isnt closing completely and its splashing up and out of the tank, although it looks fine to me.

Check for maybe a broken washer fluid line. I know mine was busted, and peed washer fluid all over the place.

Ryan
How hard is it to find the lines?

I assume that the tech checked those also, but hell knows.

does it leak as you are filling it up?
Nope. Only when driving.
well there is 2 holes at the top of the bottle and they are there for it to breath, so if your in stop and go traffic alot or on hills in the same type of traffic, it could just be sloshing around and spilling out that way.

not to mention if the washer fluid is more water based it could be freezing up a bit from the cold weather.
Don't know what you're driving. Is it the same design as the 2004 bottle?

I'd be more worried about my fender and how well the guy took it off and put it back on <_< .
Could be a cracked neck in the bottle.
I found that mine would have a tendancy to overflow if topped right up when I started and stopped on my 2002.

But it had to be RIGHT full... as in more full than the full bottle of washer fluid it can easily handle.
Its a design problem, sloshes out the vents consatntly and one of my biggest pet peeves not to mention a safety item.

The only solution I am aware of is getting the European washer bottle. I can go through an entire resevoir in a 75km trip on the QEW if is one of those days with lots of salt spray.

It is so bad I asked on here years ago about ordering washer fluid in bulk like as in a 45gal drum.
I've never had a problem with mine, but then again I don't use mine a lot (we don't get the horrible salt spray you guys have on the roads). I do have a european washer fluid tank sitting in my garage though, from when I was planning on installing the european side repeater signal lights.
CanadaSVT,Mar 21 2007, 03:55 PM Wrote:Don't know what you're driving.  Is it the same design as the 2004 bottle?

I'd be more worried about my fender and how well the guy took it off and put it back on <_< .
[right][snapback]231433[/snapback][/right]

That crossed my mind. I checked it all out.
My son had a similar problem, not a Focus though. It turned out there was a crack in the pump motor that fits into the resevoir body. Went to Canadian Tire and bought a new one good as new. Don't fill it up nearly as often any more.