FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Moar Questions!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2.3L Swap. Easy? Do-able?

The 2.0L in mine is junked. Needs a rebuild, if it's even savable. As far as I'm concerned it's dead. It burns oil badly, drips oil and shoots it back up through the throttle body. I'm calling this one case closed.

So! With this misfortune, I get an opportunity to upgrade. I'm optioning going to a 2.3L duratec... or putting a 2.0 back in.

What are my options, afaik the 2.3 has better aftermarket? Will it bolt right up to my trans?
Not an easy thing to do. The Duratec has the intake and exhaust opposite to the Zetec or SPI. The transmission does not mate. You would have to swap out everything including the ECU and re-wire the entire car.

It's not like a Honda where you can swap any series and plug and play the wiring harness.

It would be cheaper to buy another focus with a duratec already in it.
dBlast,Apr 16 2010, 04:47 PM Wrote:Not an easy thing to do.  The Duratec  has the intake and exhaust opposite to the Zetec or SPI.  The transmission does not mate.  You would have to swap out everything including the ECU and re-wire the entire car.

It's not like a Honda where you can swap any series and plug and play the wiring harness.

It would be cheaper to buy another focus with a duratec already in it.
[right][snapback]305324[/snapback][/right]

Thank you!
Definitely not worth the swap. Rebuild it or swap it out for another Zetec. Is it just the head ?
OAC_Sparky,Apr 16 2010, 07:52 PM Wrote:Definitely not worth the swap. Rebuild it or swap it out for another Zetec. Is it just the head ?
[right][snapback]305329[/snapback][/right]

Haven't bothered tearing down into it to check. Maybe I will one day. Found a zetec with 40k for 400$. Going to jump on it then. Looking at 700$ labour to put it in. Anyone know somewhere that can do better?
your self.

if your swapping a zetec for a zetec its all plug and play.

im sher id be hard if you have never done it befor but think of all the stuff you'll learn and the money you'll save

there is probably a complete how to guide online lol

other possibility is try and find a cash job guy.
Jmountney1,Apr 17 2010, 07:47 AM Wrote:your self.

im sher id be hard if you have never done it befor but think of all the stuff you'll learn and the money you'll save

[right][snapback]305340[/snapback][/right]

yeah ive never done it before. the focus wasn't meant to be my learning car.. the Jeep was.

oh well, ill look into doing it myself thne.

only problem for me tackling it myself is I just really don't know everything to know about an engine swap. I'll provide beer and pizza if anyone wants to come provide guidance but yeah, otherwise I think I might have to find a shop.
Hey im in the process of doing a Zetec motor swap, 2002 rebuild to a 2000 body.
email me for pics. :ph34r:

Mystake,Apr 17 2010, 08:41 AM Wrote:
Jmountney1,Apr 17 2010, 07:47 AM Wrote:your self.

[right][snapback]305340[/snapback][/right]

yeah ive never done it before. the focus wasn't meant to be my learning car.. the Jeep was.

oh well, ill look into doing it myself thne.

only problem for me tackling it myself is I just really don't know everything to know about an engine swap. I'll provide beer and pizza if anyone wants to come provide guidance but yeah, otherwise I think I might have to find a shop.
[right][snapback]305344[/snapback][/right]
hey buzz, I pm'd you.
Another question!

How hard is gutting the cat converter?

I'm going to do that and see how the focus runs. Maybe the cat got killed and is creating too much back pressure in the engine hence everything being fudged.

and maybe my engine's cylinders aren't as fudged and are a mild-tear down away from a fix. Also seals.

Beh...