FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Salvage Title?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have the chance to buy a SVT focus, due to salvage title its going to be real cheap. Does anybody know what sort of inspection is required once I fix the car up to spec?

I want to buy the svt for the wife so she can get a car thats a little better on gas. She really likes the focus hatch. If it weren't for the Salvage title it would be a no brainer.
hardk0re,Mar 19 2007, 12:15 PM Wrote:I have the chance to buy a SVT focus, due to salvage title its going to be real cheap.
[right][snapback]231107[/snapback][/right]

US or Canadian ?
it may just be you need a mechanical safety. I think the salvage is more for re-sale purposes, to protect the consumer.
It is a Canadian salvage title. I don't care about resale, only safety. I wouldn't let my wife drive it if it wasn't.

Do I just need to take it to a place to have it certified, or is there something special to do? Like more involved inspection?

hardk0re,Mar 19 2007, 12:41 PM Wrote:It is a Canadian salvage title.  I don't care about resale, only safety.  I wouldn't let my wife drive it if it wasn't.

Do I just need to take it to a place to have it certified, or is there something special to do?  Like more involved inspection?
[right][snapback]231110[/snapback][/right]

Some times a salvage can be hard to insure.
Check insurance first.
a salvage can mean many things.

the car was:
1. written off in a car accident
2. damaged in a floud
3. damaged from a wind storm
4. a former US car imported here from the south either being a katrina victom, or some other bad weather related damage.
5. a former Quebec car (written off in a car accident, after that happens there it's illegal to put it back on the road there)
6. car was stolen and recovered.
7. the car was abandoned for more then 8 months, in some lot or on the road.

you have to really tear the car appart to really look at it. If it's a floud damaged or Katrina you have to pull the seats appart to look for mold, and if it's there then it's everywhere even in the airbags.
Find out why its salvage title before you even look at it. If you want send me the VIN, I have carfax, maybe it will tell me why it was salvage.

Also"In some cases, the salvage company, or an enterprising body shop, might fix up the car and try to sell it. Naturally, the price of the car will be below similar models' because it has a salvage title. The danger is that the car was improperly repaired. The biggest problem is with the alignment of the wheels — if the frame has been bent, it is difficult and expensive to straighten. A bent frame will cause abnormal tire wear and improper handling characteristics." got this out of Edmunds.

good luck and let me know if you want Carfax report.