FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Engines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Given a choice, which engine is better for the Focus?
If my engine were a duratec i'd be a happy guy :)
ummm if i had the choice eather a 5.0L cammer, 4.6L 3valve(cobra motor)

non ford it would be a 2jz, rb26dett, or a triple rotory. :P

a volvo 5cyl turbo swap from the ST would be cool and prob easier then an of the above. not to mention a 1/4 of the price
Out of the available 5 motors? (spi, zetec, svt, duratec 2.0, duratec 2.3, not including the PZEV variations of the latter two)

Duratec 2.3 for sure.
hardk0re,Mar 19 2007, 07:18 AM Wrote:If my engine were a duratec i'd be a happy guy :)
[right][snapback]231060[/snapback][/right]
meh, I'm really not that impresed with the line up unless your talking about the 2.3. That thing seems to respond REALLy well to mods. Other than that, I'll keep my Zetec. Not much difference between the 2 - 2.0 motors from a modding perspective....meaning I havent seen any FI numbers come for the 2.0 duratec that really impressed me.
FocusSport non-intercooled turbo on a Dura 2.0 is making close to 200hp.
Intercooled anywhere from 210-220 looks like.
The duratec 2.0 and 2.3L .. don't they come in Mazda 6's?

But the Mazda 6 has variable valve timing..

Does that mean we can use Mazda6 engines in the Focus? Cus that'd be something interesting to do.. 160hp + vvt..
torradan,Mar 19 2007, 09:04 AM Wrote:FocusSport non-intercooled turbo on a Dura 2.0 is making close to 200hp.
Intercooled anywhere from 210-220 looks like.
[right][snapback]231067[/snapback][/right]

10psi, small tiny turbo, DIY kit (not $$ on R&D here), I was running 208-210whp, 220+Trq, I'm probably a little under that now with the addition of a CAT. Zetec represent. B)
The only difference between the 2.0L and 2.3L Duratec is the head and the stroke. Guys bolt in the Ranger crank and add a ported head and blammo... it's a modding Frankenstein.

The Duratec is a hell of an engine. What really impresses me more than many cars I've driven lately is its absolute willingness to rev to the limiter each and every day while sounding great doing it. No buzz, no bitch... nothing but rev.

Hell, even ATX-equipped Duratecs with the FS turbo kit are lethal. They're great for F/I, they're great for N/A... they're just plain great.

For great gas mileage without much modding potential, the SPI can't be beat tho :P
stupid q time...

Does the 2.3 duratec use the mtx75?
Yeah I heard of engine swapping for a Mazda engine and I am pretty sure some Ford Probes actually have a Mazda engine.
SmokeBCBuDZ,Mar 19 2007, 09:47 AM Wrote:Yeah I heard of engine swapping for a Mazda engine and I am pretty sure some Ford Probes actually have a Mazda engine.
[right][snapback]231088[/snapback][/right]

yes they do.....those 2 are pretty much the same car

my buddy has a Probe and he bought mazda 6 for parts
Flofocus,Mar 19 2007, 09:02 AM Wrote:stupid q time...

[right][snapback]231081[/snapback][/right]

Yep, nothing beefed up in it, just a straight swap in...

Which makes Ford's failure to offer the 2.3L with the autobox all the more puzzling to me <_< as its not as if the stock autobox couldn't take the extra ponies either...

Hrm, 2.3L swap in, twenty more HP....

NefCanuck
not worth 20 hp for all that work lol
hardk0re,Mar 19 2007, 07:18 AM Wrote:If my engine were a duratec i'd be a happy guy :)
[right][snapback]231060[/snapback][/right]

I have to agree :)
zx5power,Mar 19 2007, 11:38 AM Wrote:not worth 20 hp for all that work lol
[right][snapback]231099[/snapback][/right]
Im thinking more from a mod potential point of view.

Those engines are putting down 180whp with minimal NA mods & tuning.
I'm thinking along the lines of which engine is the best from the standpoint of durability, ease of maintenance and repair, cost of parts and ease of modification.
As well as bottom end torque and overall "go juice."
2.3s did come with automatics. Just the 2.3 was never offered in 2005+ except for the ST. some of the 2004 eggs came with the 2.3, which could also be automatics. Not sure if they came in sedans, or in 2003 though.
NefCanuck,Mar 19 2007, 10:16 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Mar 19 2007, 09:02 AM Wrote:stupid q time...

[right][snapback]231081[/snapback][/right]

Yep, nothing beefed up in it, just a straight swap in...

Which makes Ford's failure to offer the 2.3L with the autobox all the more puzzling to me <_< as its not as if the stock autobox couldn't take the extra ponies either...

Hrm, 2.3L swap in, twenty more HP....

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]231093[/snapback][/right]

So does that mean the IB5 5sp SPI tranny bolts up too? I ask simply cus I have one and I figure finding a duratec engine is easier then finding the engine and tranny together, both in good condition.. when I know my trans is fine.

Though people keep saying the IB5 bites ass..

Hmm.. Would then.. the 2.3 VVT Mazda 6 engine, plus ECU, plus either MX75 tranny, or whatever is in the mazda 6.., or even my IB5.. it'd all work together to be a harmonious, sexy sounding, reliable NA foci ? Cus that'd be superb..

And also the F/I later on if I were so inclined to drop the G's...

.... I have much to consider
IB5 won't bolt up to anything but a SPI from what I've read.

MTX75 has 2 different bellhousings for zetec and duratec, so those aren't an exact swap either.
Pages: 1 2