FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 24 Hrs Of Lemons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have any of you guys heard of this...

Its happening right in our backyards (ie Detroit)

24 Hours of Le-Mons

If you've got a few friends, $500 to blow and a weekend of action, this would be a good time..

Just thought I'd share the findings.

Some of the guys I work with are looking to enter.

~ Clutch
Sounds interesting...

til I read the FAQs

Will I die? :lol:

Quote:FAQS
(FREQUENTLY ASININE QUIPS)

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

A 24-hour endurance-race weekend for cars costing $500 or less.

COME AGAIN?

The 24 Hours of LeMons is a weekend-long race for cars purchased, fixed up, and track-prepped for total of $500 or less. Each team must also survive qualifying rounds such as the Marxist Parking Valet, the Widdling Rottweiler Slalom, and/or the Stoney Bike-Messenger Shooting Gallery. Generally, track racing begins at 4:00 pm Saturday and runs until 4 pm Sunday, with a late-night intermission for sleeping, eating, and Band-Aid application. Count on plenty of noise, prizes, water fights, and questionably civilized fun before, during, and after the track sessions. Finally, assuming you're still standing, there's the gala awards ceremony which presents trophies, plaques, and winner's purses paid out in nickels.

WHAT'S A $500 CAR, EXACTLY?

A car that reaches the starting line for a grand total investment of $500, including purchase and preparation. The only things not included in that figure are approved safety equipment, brakes, and wheels/tires.

WILL I DIE?

Maybe. Safety equipment isn't included in the $500 car-purchase price, so you'll have kind of a fighting chance. But this isn't a brilliant thing to be doing. Get used to it.

WILL MY CAR DIE?

Oh, almost definitely. And, even if it survives on the track, halfway through the race one entry will be chosen by popular ballot for immediate crushing. Could be yours. Heck, it probably WILL be yours. Be prepared.
:lol:

read the rules
they get even better :lol:
omg I want in.. I bet I could get this Mazda B~ running for 500! ohh that'd be cool as hell.. The drive is only 20 hours :P Think the beater would make it down, the 24 hours, and back? ;)

I'll def. have to keep an eye out for this.. Anyone else thinking of entering ?
i read about the race in SCC one day, sounds like fun.
yes!!!! I am so finding a car and entering...
ZED_not_zee,Mar 16 2007, 02:33 AM Wrote:yes!!!!  I am so finding a car and entering...
[right][snapback]230767[/snapback][/right]

al
i say we make an RTP entry, i posted it over there and there seems to be some support!!!
the proble is the roll cage, that aing gonna be cheap!! pluse deciding on a car....everybodys is gonna want a DSM lol
no DSM.. we need reliable... nad cheap... WTB D series 91 civic HB tein springs and steel tubeing..
i'm sure you can find a focus for 500 if you look hard :)

sounds like fun.
that sounds amazing I wish I had the time to go and participate, all my old ice racers were purchased for around $300.00 and were raced till they fell apart. Actually from the rules it sounds just like ice racing except that in ice racing I only raced for 12 laps and not 24 hours that and the cars were slowly crushed on the track.

Laterz :)
My mom is in her 70's and feels uncomfortable driving now. At the end of the summer she will sell her 91 Dodge Shadow for next to nothing, I am sure $500US would be fine. It would go 24 hours without spending any other money at all, its in increadible shape and never gone further than the grocery store since 95. I will take pics on the weekend.

I am toying with the idea of using it as an ice racer though so don't set your hearts on it yet.
Lets get a team togehter to go against the FF guys :)
mo_focus,Mar 16 2007, 08:25 AM Wrote:i'm sure you can find a focus for 500 if you look hard :)

sounds like fun.
[right][snapback]230794[/snapback][/right]

ha ha ha ha you find me a focus for 500 that is structually and runs sound and I'll GIVE you $50 after I purchase it
So I guess a set of road tires would last the 24 hours, so long as they don't get burnt off by going sideways alot, or carved off from having a messed up fender digging into the rubber..

So uh.. What if you don't have lots of sets of tires? What's the rules on fuel.. Supply your own, it's there.. What's the details?

I guess you can't just drive down, towing a car, and enter.. Might need a pit crew or something right..?

God I'd so love to do this.. I wonder if they'd let me, being a G2 driver :|
i dont think you actually drive for 24 hours, reading one of the results the winner drove for over 12 hrs and 1000+ laps
Well it's setlled the time is now to start searching for a ride...
[Image: P3171223.jpg]

[Image: P3171222.jpg]

Sweet or what? Cherry for a 1991.
Are you trying to sell me this???^^^ I think were looking for an FC rx7... they have a great cooling system stock with an oil cooler to boot, they handle and brake well, and can be had for less than $500 USD... plust there's aftermarket support for a cage and tire sizes as well...
and well it at one time was a sports car,,,