FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Lnp Is Here March 14, 2007
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: LNP%20en%202.jpg]
So what is everybody going to do?

Staying with your current carrier (dont care)
Bringing your Landline number to a Cellphone Carrier
Bringing your Cellular number to a Landline Carrier
Bringing your Landline number to a VOIP Carrier
Bringing your Cell # to another Cell carrier ie: Bell to Rogers
Will wait for more agressive offers before considering

please answer only if this applies to you.
i'm thinking of dumping my mike phone after being with them for 6+ years and maybe going to rogers

i might call MiKE first and see what they offer to do for me when i tell them i'm cancelling my plan
Just a heads up. LNP stands for Local Number Portability, so you can only transfer the number if the other carrier has a phone exchange/telephone switching equiptment in that city.

Also, if your changing companies/carriers, do NOT cancel your service first, you will need an ACTIVE number before you can port out, then once you do the port, after its complete, your old service will automatically be cancelled.
I am a Rogers VIP and there service has worked well for me. I don't think I am going to do anything until they start offering big incentives.
I just switched to the Bell to Bell calling plan this week :D , another couple of months on the GF rogers plan and we'll be switching it over to Bell.
Gonna see how far Telus is willing to go to keep me first...

So far their opening offer is pathetic, offering an LG Chocolate phone if I re-up for three years (No mention of whether or not I keep my plan as is or with a price increase)

I have some time before my contract is up so I'll wait it out. I've been with them since '98 and paying good money to 'em too so I would think they'd be willing to go a little farther...

NefCanuck
Is there a media release for this? Paolo, can you post this?
Oscar The Grouch,Mar 14 2007, 11:18 AM Wrote:Is there a media release for this?  Paolo, can you post this?
[right][snapback]230473[/snapback][/right]

Have phone, will travel --even if it's a land line

Number portability

Peter Nowak, Financial Post

Published: Friday, March 09, 2007

Home-phone providers are expected to take a hit when wireless number portability takes effect next week as customers will be able to take their digits and go cellphone-only -- just like Minister of Industry Maxime Bernier.

Wireless number portability, where cellphone subscribers can keep their phone numbers with them when switching providers, takes effect nationally on Wednesday and will affect about 70% of Canadians.

But one aspect that has not been well publicized is that portability will include land lines and not just cellphones, so customers will be able to move their home number onto a mobile.

Moving a wireless number to another provider will take 2.5 hours while porting a land line to a mobile or vice versa will take up to two days, according to Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association spokesman Marc Choma. Canada is only the second country in the world to include land lines, following the United States, he said.

Some analysts expect portability will result in faster erosion of land lines at the major providers, such as Canada's two biggest phone companies, BCE Inc. and Telus Corp.

"It will accelerate. Not being able to port your land line number to wireless has been an impediment [to going cellphone-only] in the past," said Genuity Capital Markets analyst Dvai Ghose.

"There is a big opportunity here for wireless in displacement of wire line."

BCE's Bell Canada unit has been facing steady land line erosion over the past few years, losing 525,000 access lines, or 4.2% of its total, in 2006, up from 2.5% a year earlier. Telus lost 143,000 lines in 2006, or 3% of its total.

Since all three major wireless carriers in Canada also offer wire lines, the beneficiaries of any increased land line erosion, ironically, will be those more heavily skewed toward mobiles --namely, Rogers Communications Inc. and Telus.

"It's like robbing from Peter to give to Paul," Mr. Ghose said.

Not all analysts believe number portability will speed land line loss, however. "The type of person who is looking to drop their wire line service is not waiting for number portability, they're already moved," said National Bank Financial analyst Greg McDonald. "I don't think that's a big part of the market."

Among those who have already gone mobile-only are Mr. Bernier and his deputy minister Richard Dicerni, who did so because they are always on the move, the Minister's press secretary said yesterday.

Analysts expect the impact to be much more muted when it comes to wireless customers switching to other wireless providers. Number portability was agreed on in September, 2005, so Bell, Rogers and Telus are well prepared both technologically and with customer retention strategies for their total 17.5 million subscribers.

An estimated 80% of customers have been signed up to two- or three-year contracts, and many of those subscribe to bundled services that include television or Internet. The carriers have also already done most of their customer-acquisition spending, Mr. MacDonald said. These factors mean there shouldn't be any material changes in customer switching, or churn, or in cost of acquisition.

There could be some movement among business customers, however.
Meh?

Way too much worry about funky-looking earrings... I mean cellphones with earrings attached to them.

Bluetooth brigade FTL!
Well considering i just paid for a new phone just before christmas, i don't think i'll be switching carriers any time soon. For the most part pay as you go is the same everywhere and i haven't really had any issues with Telus to this point, so for now i'm happy where i am.
I would suggest waiting for the deals to be announced by all the cell carriers before jumping on the bandwagon.
I remember when I signed up with Telus, they were offering 1 free year of service to anyone who switched from Rogers to Telus. That's the main reason I switched.
I'm sure that there will be plenty more wonderful opportunities like that in a few month's time
don't think I'll be switching carriers, the service with other providers in this area sucks.
I just successfully ported my rogers number to fido, took about 2.5 hrs. I have only heard of issues where some Telus Phones including the V3C razor do not support ported numbers, something to do with the software on them? so I guess that kinda sux for those customers.
I have also heard that if you are switching from fido to rogers only and vice a versa only, they can now waive your ECF (Early Cancellation Fee) which is a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.
Everyone except Bell sux in Petawawa/Renfrew County...

That, and I buy my handsets with cash. I am not locking in to any committment...I use the phone, and get the bill. It's not pay as I go either, as I have had bills in the past over $1500 (had a gf in the UK for 3 years)...just use it and pay for it.

Cellphones, iPod, etc...don't interest me in the least...
I will switch to whome ever caries the apple I-phone... it's that simple.. I will give up miking for OSX in my pocket... that is all
My phone is paid by my work, so I have no choice.
ZED_not_zee,Mar 15 2007, 12:37 AM Wrote:I will switch to whome ever caries the apple I-phone... it's that simple.. I will give up miking for OSX in my pocket... that is all
[right][snapback]230571[/snapback][/right]

AFAIK, that means you're in Mr. Rogers neighbourhood now :huh:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Mar 15 2007, 03:37 PM Wrote:
ZED_not_zee,Mar 15 2007, 12:37 AM Wrote:I will switch to whome ever caries the apple I-phone... it's that simple.. I will give up miking for OSX in my pocket... that is all

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]230698[/snapback][/right]

I figured the phone will be GSM which telus does not have a network for i do beleve... booo rogers,,, yay I-trendy
ZED_not_zee,Mar 16 2007, 01:44 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Mar 15 2007, 03:37 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]230698[/snapback][/right]

I figured the phone will be GSM which telus does not have a network for i do beleve... booo rogers,,, yay I-trendy
[right][snapback]230770[/snapback][/right]

Yep, Bell & Telus are CDMA network phones while Rogers/Fido are GSM phones... and since Rogers is the "Big brother" to Fido, I doubt that the iPhone would appear anywhere but Rogers first...

NefCanuck
Until someone comes up with something better than Mike, also getting all the mike and nextel users to switch with me. I'll be staying with Mike. Doesn't mean I not going to threaten to leave if they don't give me free stufff.

IMHO there is NOTHING better than Mikes PTT. Free unlimited talking anywhere in Canada. PS I've talked to people in the US with no charges as well. All other cell phones are just money sucking decorations.
Pages: 1 2