FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Eating Gas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i am getting about 50 km / quarter tank - and its not getting any better

no codes - o2 sensor up front is new

i swear the other day i filled it to 3/4 full, drove to work and home (14km) and it was at 1/2 tank wtf??

anyways

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE..........
Obvious question time: When was the last time you did a tuneup including the fuel filter? I suspect the fuel filter frankly... nothing else could explain that hard a drop without you smelling gas or leaving puddles of gas everywhere...

NefCanuck
focusnme,Mar 13 2007, 08:19 PM Wrote:i am getting about 50 km / quarter tank - and its not getting any better

no codes - o2 sensor up front is new

i swear the other day i filled it to 3/4 full, drove to work and home (14km) and it was at 1/2 tank  wtf??

anyways

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE..........
[right][snapback]230375[/snapback][/right]

Lift your foot off a little? :P

No .. Uh.. EGR pipe being broken off hurts gas mileage, my economy was horrible when mine was fractured..

Check your fuel filter, it may be clogged.. Check tire pressure, and brakes..

I was getting bad mileage as well when my brakes were really bad, the calipers weren't all the way released and it warped my rotors horribly, plus disintegrated my pads..

Check for a leak somewhere..? Is there any smell of gas anywhere..?

I'm sort've out of idea's now, but maybe one of those might help..

02ztsian

Another vote for faulty EGR system. With the SVT intake and the PW blower I was averaging about 90-100 km/quarter tank. Well I blew out the two-penny EGR plug trick so I re-installed the EGR tube (which also re-set the CEL) and I am over 125 km for the last 1/4 tank.
/\ pretty friggen good man...my car was under 100km's per tank when I sold it, but I never changed the fuel filter once while I had it...I ran 94 and 93 octane through it more than 50% of the time, as well as fuel injector cleaner at every oilchange...yeah I know, detergent city...lol
Drivesthebeast,Mar 14 2007, 09:43 AM Wrote:/\ pretty friggen good man...my car was under 100km's per tank when I sold it, but I never changed the fuel filter once while I had it...I ran 94 and 93 octane through it more than 50% of the time, as well as fuel injector cleaner at every oilchange...yeah I know, detergent city...lol
[right][snapback]230441[/snapback][/right]

I found that putting higher octane in a stock focus just hurt mileage. On the highway, it increased consumption by nearly 20%.

don't put in supreme unless you're tuned for it...otherwise it's just problems waiting to happen.
wow, then i better check my egr tube.....im barrely getting 100km for a 1/4 of tank
darkpuppet,Mar 14 2007, 08:48 AM Wrote:
Drivesthebeast,Mar 14 2007, 09:43 AM Wrote:/\ pretty friggen good man...my car was under 100km's per tank when I sold it, but I never changed the fuel filter once while I had it...I ran 94 and 93 octane through it more than 50% of the time, as well as fuel injector cleaner at every oilchange...yeah I know, detergent city...lol
[right][snapback]230441[/snapback][/right]

I found that putting higher octane in a stock focus just hurt mileage. On the highway, it increased consumption by nearly 20%.

don't put in supreme unless you're tuned for it...otherwise it's just problems waiting to happen.
[right][snapback]230445[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I only run 87 octane in the mustang most of the time (unless the bronze pumps are out of commish at shell), as that's what the engine calibration is setup for. On the highway I can get over 100km's per 1/4 tank, and for a V8, that's pretty impressive. However, I'll likely go to a 93 Tune if I get a C&L or WMS intake...usually with those things, the GT closes in on 300+ rwhp (stock averages around 270)...

Anyways, sorry to thread jack, hope that you get the problem resolved on your Foci...good luck!
ok - will get ford to check - or does anyone have pics on where i should be looking on a ztec engine?
ok replaced the fuel filter - but i dont know...........

not leaking but yesterday - i had 3/4 tank in the drive way

this morn i have a touch over 1/2

is the float messed?

why is the km / tank no good still
check the dpfe sensor, maybe the cat is plugged up, bad injectors. Oh btw disreguard all of the above, if already said. I'm too lazy to read everybodies posts
anyhting else - i am getting 150 km / 3/4 tank o gas......
if you punch the gas does it go, or is it a little sluggish,

I dunno could very well be a faulty level sensor in the gas tank lol
focusnme,Mar 23 2007, 07:11 PM Wrote:anyhting else - i am getting 150 km /  3/4 tank o gas......
[right][snapback]231755[/snapback][/right]

No wonder you didn't wanna get some other rims...it wasn't the Missus not liking other rims, it's because you're putting like $100+ in fuel per week in the damned thing...lol!

In all seriousness though...I think that sucks azz, and yeah, you should do a FULL tuneup...new plugs, new wires, new oil, new oil filter, new coolant, etc.

Don't feel so bad, my engine in my truck isn't broken in 100% yet, and it's a PIG on fuel...I put over $100 in fuel in it in the last week and a half...(gotta love a 5.7L V8 with a 4bbl and 3 speed auto with truck gears in the rear pumpkin...lol!)...so I feel your pain...

Let us know if you resolve things...

hahaha-- well i have gotten new wires and plugs - oil is good - coolant is good - i this this is another sensor or injectors....... - i looking for injectors right now

some one had some for sale on here
would this be because of a bigger TB?

i cant figure this out.........
No, cause the TB can't shovel in more air than the IM can handle, anyways. I don't recall the Zetec IM being THAT starved for air.
focusnme,Mar 23 2007, 08:11 PM Wrote:anyhting else - i am getting 150 km /  3/4 tank o gas......
[right][snapback]231755[/snapback][/right]
If you get some time, get a jerry can of gas, reset your trip odometer and drive it til it stops. When you start it up do you smell gas? What about your injectors? they could be clogged.
doing a km test with ford now - will let you know