FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Parts Store
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know if this is the right place for this question, so if it isn't, you can redirect me.

My question is this. I've been calling around for some prices on the following parts. Water pump, Timing Belt and Valve cover gasket. The cheapest is from a place in Scarborough, called McMaster Auto Parts. They quoted $48.00 for the gasket, $39.00 for the Timing Belt and $46.00 for the Water Pump. I asked the guy why he was so much cheaper than eveyone else, ( almost half the price of Ford ). Has anybody heard of this place?
i know i payed $56 for the valve cover gasket at Ford dealer.....so its not bad
Theyre not jacking the price on you OR theyre using subpar parts.

Canadian Automotive parts supplier (CAPS) here in Ottawa is the same...

I called BMW for a new cat pipe, $750.00. CAPS was $430 or something like that, in this case it was the exact same part to, Bosal Catalyc converter pipe.

My resistor board for the BMWs interior fans...One dealership wanted $46, the other, 10 minutes away wanted $26. Some places like ripping you off, others like establishing a good customer base ;)
Ford wanted 120 for my rear view mirror.. I got it for 15 across the street at a parts place dealing in replacement parts.. They wanted 150 for my passenger side manual mirror, and got that for 25 at the same place :|

You can find good parts places if you look around .. Sounds like you found a good one :P
Hands down the dealer will always be more expensive... theyr warenty is better sometimes and geting a warenty replacement is less of a hassle,,, and usally dealers can get stuff in a pinch...
ZED_not_zee,Mar 13 2007, 01:14 PM Wrote:Hands down the dealer will always be more expensive...  theyr warenty is better sometimes and geting a warenty replacement is less of a hassle,,, and usally dealers can get stuff in a pinch...
[right][snapback]230267[/snapback][/right]
I priced a local Ford Dealer, and a NAPA. Ford was cheaper.
Flofocus,Mar 13 2007, 12:12 PM Wrote:Theyre not jacking the price on you OR theyre using subpar parts.

Canadian Automotive parts supplier (CAPS) here in Ottawa is the same...

I called BMW for a new cat pipe, $750.00.  CAPS was $430 or something like that, in this case it was the exact same part to, Bosal Catalyc converter pipe.

My resistor board for the BMWs interior fans...One dealership wanted $46, the other, 10 minutes away wanted $26.  Some places like ripping you off, others like establishing a good customer base ;)
[right][snapback]230251[/snapback][/right]
I asked the guy why his stuff is so inexpensive. He said he gives his parts at mechanics prices.
Well just make sure if the parts are aftermarket, they are good quality parts.

Ford usually sells ford parts, most of the parts stores sell china stuff :)

I usually buy oil filters, rotors and pads from Ford. everything else aftermarket.

Also look into getting a timing belt kit, its got the pulleys for the timing belt+ sepentine belt pulleys. So you will be set. I think the Kit was around 170$ for the belts and pulleys.
Dealerships aren't always more expensive, they just are a majority of the time. Sometimes you can get better deals on factory accesories from certain dealers than you could elsewhere, and also the engine oil and spark plugs and stuff is generally around the same price as places like CT.

I think whomever you are dealing with might be a good way to go, judging by the prices you've been given...
If you interested in any wrecker parts then try
http://www.car-part.com
Its basicly an inventory. Look up anything you want and you can get a price on it as well as all the wreckers that have it.
:D

Aswell if you like I can check at my work.
Wont bother till you tell me.
a few freinds use http://www.rockauto.com also. They seem to really like it.
oldeguy,Mar 13 2007, 11:07 AM Wrote:I don't know if this is the right place for this question, so if it isn't, you can redirect me.

My question is this. I've been calling around for some prices on the following parts. Water pump, Timing Belt and Valve cover gasket. The cheapest is from a place in Scarborough, called McMaster Auto Parts. They quoted $48.00 for the gasket, $39.00 for the Timing Belt and $46.00 for the Water Pump. I asked the guy why he was so much cheaper than eveyone else, ( almost half the price of Ford ).  Has anybody heard of this place?
[right][snapback]230246[/snapback][/right]

Having worked in the automotive aftermarket for over 10 years until I moved to Castrol I do know that prices vary from one place to another. Be sure that you are getting name brand aftermarket parts. Alot of independant jobbers are moving to cheaper offshore parts rather than the quality aftermarket replacements.

Is the price for the waterpump a new or rebuilt unit? The dealer is usually a new piece and you may be getting a rebuilt from the jobber. Not that there is anything wrong with a remanufactured unit but that might be where the price difference is coming from. The V/C gasket, as long as it is a quality name brand like Victor or Fel-Pro or even the dealer buy it where you get the best deal. Also same for the timing belt, make sure it good quality. You don't want that to fail on you.

Good luck with your quest for the best deal. Be sure to let us know how you make out.