FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Water Pump #@$%^^&&
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay ladies and gentlemen, I'm starting to hear a bit of a rattle in the engine. It's not bleeding green, yet.I'm thinking it's the water pump. How $%$%^%@$#@ hard is it to replace, by a do-it yourselfer, and what's the cost of a rebuilt?
oldeguy,Mar 13 2007, 01:48 AM Wrote:Okay ladies and gentlemen, I'm starting to hear a bit of a rattle in  the engine. It's not bleeding green, yet.I'm thinking it's the water pump. How $%$%^%@$#@ hard is it to replace, by a do-it yourselfer, and what's the cost of a rebuilt?
[right][snapback]230126[/snapback][/right]

Its a pain in the ass to relace yourself....its not worth it to get it rebuilt, they are cheap enough to just buy a new one.
My best friend is a hayns manual... it helps alot and it was the best christmas present ever!!! not knocking you! I just used to fix my car without one and it makes such a diffrence
ZED_not_zee,Mar 13 2007, 02:04 AM Wrote:My best friend is a hayns manual... it helps alot and it was the best christmas present ever!!!  not knocking you!  I just used to fix my car without one and it makes such a diffrence
[right][snapback]230173[/snapback][/right]

i just picked one up :)
ZED_not_zee,Mar 13 2007, 02:04 AM Wrote:My best friend is a hayns manual... it helps alot and it was the best christmas present ever!!!  not knocking you!  I just used to fix my car without one and it makes such a diffrence
Since I always buy a used car. the route home from the car dealer is to the nearesrt Canadian Tire to pick up a Haynes. My library of manuals is bigger than any other part of my library.
oldeguy,Mar 13 2007, 06:46 AM Wrote:
Since I always buy a used car. the route home from the car dealer is to the nearesrt Canadian Tire to pick up a Haynes. My library of manuals is bigger than any other part of my library.
[right][snapback]230182[/snapback][/right]

it is a pita to replace but it can be done. If I can do it, a more experienced DIY's can def do it. Do the timing belt while your at it. ;)

02ztsian

I had a rattle in the front as well. I thought it was valve train related but apparently when I swapped back to stock pulleys I had a water pump bolt come loose and it fell off. I have lost two so far so I finally splurged for some thread locker. Just a thought but check to see if the three bolts are loose at all, esp. if you have ever had the pulley off for any reason.
oldeguy,Mar 13 2007, 01:48 AM Wrote:Okay ladies and gentlemen, I'm starting to hear a bit of a rattle in  the engine. It's not bleeding green, yet.I'm thinking it's the water pump. How $%$%^%@$#@ hard is it to replace, by a do-it yourselfer, and what's the cost of a rebuilt?

Are you sure its the water pump and not the t-stat housing? Usually on our cars the t-stat housing goes before anything else
Flofocus,Mar 13 2007, 08:59 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Mar 13 2007, 06:46 AM Wrote:
[right][snapback]230182[/snapback][/right]

it is a pita to replace but it can be done. If I can do it, a more experienced DIY's can def do it. Do the timing belt while your at it. ;)
[right][snapback]230187[/snapback][/right]
That's what I'm thinking. I was planning to do the belt this year, but, the pump wasn't on my list.
mo_focus,Mar 13 2007, 09:27 AM Wrote:

Are you sure its the water pump and not the t-stat housing? Usually on our cars the t-stat housing goes before anything else
[right][snapback]230192[/snapback][/right]
It's not leaking yet. Just a rattle.
02ztsian,Mar 13 2007, 09:22 AM Wrote:I had a rattle in the front as well. I thought it was valve train related but apparently when I swapped back to stock pulleys I had a water pump bolt come loose and it fell off. I have lost two so far so I finally splurged for some thread locker. Just a thought but check to see if the three bolts are loose at all, esp. if you have ever had the pulley off for any reason.
[right][snapback]230190[/snapback][/right]
I bought it from a used car dealer. He told me that he had to replace the tensioner wheel, or the idler wheel, but that was 60,000 kms ago, last April.
My buddy the mechanic had a listen to my engine. He said everything is good. He did say that when I do the Timing Belt, I might as well do the pump and serpentine belt too. Crisis avoided. I need my car to get to work, and work can be a 7 day a week thing. Now, I know what I'm doing the first day of "vacation"