FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Fusion Wins Motor Trend Car Of The Year Award
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 000_fusion2010garage_opta.jpg]

For the first time ever, Motor Trend announced the winner of its annual Car of the Year award this afternoon live via webcast. Though the field of 23 contenders was highly competitive this year (follow the jump for a complete list), we guessed immediately that the winner was a Ford as soon as the webcast came online. How'd we know? The fact they were broadcasting the announcement from Ford World Headquarters in Detroit was a not-so-subtle clue. The Fusion, Taurus and Mustang were all in the running, but it was Ford's redesigned mid-size sedan, the Fusion, that took home the coveted Golden Calipers.

In retrospect, the choice is a solid one and not all that surprising. The Fusion was extensively reworked for the 2010 model year and features a new exterior design, new models and new powertrains. Ford offers a four-cylinder model, two strong V6 options and a full-on parallel hybrid variant, which means buyers should have no trouble finding a Fusion that fits their needs. And indeed they have, as the Fusion has already broken its own yearly sales record – with two months left to go.

Like MT, we're big fans of the Fusion here at Autoblog, and even have high hopes that one day it could be the domestic car that knocks the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord from atop their perches as the best selling cars in the States. That said, this Ford still has a long way to go. Toyota has sold nearly twice as many Camry models as the Fusion so far this year, and the Accord and Nissan Altima are still flashing their taillights at Ford's CoTY winner. It's not just demand, as Ford doesn't even have the production capacity at the moment to match Camry sales, and it doesn't help that the Mercury Milan siphons off a few potential Fusion customers, as well.

Nevertheless, this is less about what the Fusion could be in the future than what it is today: the 2010 Motor Trend Car of the Year. Congrats to Ford and the Fusion team.

Source: Autoblog

CONTENDERS FOR 2010 MOTOR TREND CAR OF THE YEAR:

BMW 7 SERIES
BMW Z4
BUICK LACROSSE
CHEVROLET CAMARO
FORD FUSION
FORD MUSTANG
FORD TAURUS
HONDA INSIGHT
HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE
KIA FORTE
KIA SOUL
LEXUS HS 250H
MAZDA3
MERCEDES-BENZ E-CLASS COUPE
MERCEDES-BENZ E-CLASS
NISSAN 370Z
NISSAN CUBE
PORSCHE PANAMERA
SUBARU LEGACY
SUZUKI KIZASHI
TOYOTA PRIUS
VOLKSWAGEN GTI
VOLKSWAGEN ROUTAN
Good for Ford! They are pretty pimp looking cars B)
Wow Mazda 3 got in, but Focus didn't. Don't surprise me cause the exterior design is lacklustre.
*Golf clap*
Considering the first Fusion also won a MT award at the time when it was intro'ed, I think it's fair to say that they love the car :D

NefCanuck
I think it should have been the Golf.............the Fusion is a great car though.
I think the golf is a good car, but the Fusion won, I think because of all it's offerings for the least price points and good looks, and after driving a few at work I can say I'd buy one if I were looking for a mid sized sedan as I like what it offeres as standard equipment, and it feels very sporty for what it is.
Oscar The Grouch,Nov 18 2009, 04:50 PM Wrote:Wow Mazda 3 got in, but Focus didn't.  Don't surprise me cause the exterior design is lacklustre.
[right][snapback]297474[/snapback][/right]

The vehicle needs to be new or have enough of a makeover to qualify for the title.

Didn't the Renault Fuego or Renault Alliance win MT car of the year in the 80's? Never been a very prestigous award since then. :lol:

My neighbour just got a '10 Fuse and really likes it, and they used to be Chevy people.
I saw the new Fusions again the other day at Stockfish when the tires went on the Escape. I might head back tomorrow or the next day to take one, and a new Taurus, for a rip.

No Taurus SHOs tho. :(
If you have 22 minutes to spare this is good info and I completely agree with what is said about the VW Routan, their owners are really, really stupid :lol:

MT 2010 Car of the Year
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 19 2009, 06:30 AM Wrote:I saw the new Fusions again the other day at Stockfish when the tires went on the Escape. I might head back tomorrow or the next day to take one, and a new Taurus, for a rip.

No Taurus SHOs tho. :(
[right][snapback]297496[/snapback][/right]

Sorry to say but the only way you'll see a SHO on the lot @ a dealer like Stockfish is if the owner is rocking one :(

Dixie Ford has at least two that I know of, one in the showroom in silver and one the owner is using on that's all black :wub:

P.S. if you grab a 4cyl. you'll be damn surprised 170HP and the 6 speed auto moves that car. A co-worker's mom bought one, nice but I'd miss the AWD and V6 :)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 19 2009, 08:53 PM Wrote:Sorry to say but the only way you'll see a SHO on the lot @ a dealer like Stockfish is if the owner is rocking one :(

Priced one out. $46,200 out the door with no 'options'. The mandatory sunroof has eliminated the SHO from my sights as no matter how I sat, my hair kept brushing the headliner. That is unless Ford of Canada follows the U.S. and allows the customer to choose which options, if any, they would like to weigh the car down with instead of loading all the crap I don't want or need. Would be much cheaper too!
CanadaSVT,Nov 19 2009, 09:07 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Nov 19 2009, 08:53 PM Wrote:Sorry to say but the only way you'll see a SHO on the lot @ a dealer like Stockfish is if the owner is rocking one :(

Priced one out. $46,200 out the door with no 'options'. The mandatory sunroof has eliminated the SHO from my sights as no matter how I sat, my hair kept brushing the headliner. That is unless Ford of Canada follows the U.S. and allows the customer to choose which options, if any, they would like to weigh the car down with instead of loading all the crap I don't want or need. Would be much cheaper too!
[right][snapback]297543[/snapback][/right]

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can special order an SHO in Canada sans sunroof :unsure:

As to the hair problem, do what I did... cueball baby B) :lol:

NefCanuck
CanadaSVT,Nov 19 2009, 09:07 PM Wrote:The mandatory sunroof has eliminated the SHO from my sights as no matter how I sat, my hair kept brushing the headliner. [right][snapback]297543[/snapback][/right]
I'll let you borrow my phonebook, you can just drive with your head sticking out the sunroof.

Would suck in the rain though. :lol:
OAC_Sparky,Nov 20 2009, 05:06 AM Wrote:
CanadaSVT,Nov 19 2009, 09:07 PM Wrote:The mandatory sunroof has eliminated the SHO from my sights as no matter how I sat, my hair kept brushing the headliner. [right][snapback]297543[/snapback][/right]
I'll let you borrow my phonebook, you can just drive with your head sticking out the sunroof.

Would suck in the rain though. :lol:
[right][snapback]297553[/snapback][/right]

Eyipe, you want him to do a "Dino" (Flintstone's pet) through the sunroof? :ph34r: :lol:

and a nice fat mea culpa, sunroof is standard in Canada no way jose to delete it (I haven't checked if you could order it in the US sans 'roof though :unsure: )

NefCanuck
You see SHO's all around Burlington, they aren't anything special anymore. Same with Ferraris, I saw 3 people driving the new California the summer.
yeah, ferraris aren't special at all.
D-Dub,Nov 20 2009, 02: Wrote:You see SHO's all around Burlington, they aren't anything special anymore. Same with Ferraris, I saw 3 people driving the new California the summer.
[right][snapback]297567[/snapback][/right]

Hey with 365HP underfoot I don't care how often I would see myself, 'cause it wouldn't be for long :P

NefCanuck
$50K is pushing it in my books.
Give it a couple of years and a used one will cost $35. I love Ford's resale value :-)
Don't assume Nik...

Now that the market has had its "seismic shift" it wouldn't necessarily surprise me to see Fords from here on out hold their value better now.

NefCanuck