FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Spring and hopefully warmer weather is on the way......... I'm looking to do the brakes, pads and shoes, and would appreciate a "ballpark" cost. I have to do a few other maintenance items this spring, so I'm trying to budget things.
Things to do: Fix leaking valve cover gasket
Brake pads and shoes
Timing Belt
Change Transmission Fluid, ( auto )
Oil Change ( of course )
oldeguy,Mar 12 2007, 10:33 AM Wrote:Spring and hopefully warmer weather is on the way......... I'm looking to do the brakes, pads and shoes, and would appreciate a "ballpark" cost. I have to do a few other maintenance items this spring, so I'm trying to budget things.
                    Brake pads and shoes ($150 for cheap stuff, $250 for some good stuff, thats parts of course, no labour)
                    Timing Belt ($450 from my mechanic, included new waterpump, its recommended with the timing belt change)
                    Change Transmission Fluid, ( auto ) (Mine was manual, and it was $20/bottle of teh stuff, needed 2 and a bit to fill it up)
                    Oil Change ( of course ) ($30)
[right][snapback]229906[/snapback][/right]
oldeguy,Mar 12 2007, 02:33 PM Wrote:Spring and hopefully warmer weather is on the way......... I'm looking to do the brakes, pads and shoes, and would appreciate a "ballpark" cost. I have to do a few other maintenance items this spring, so I'm trying to budget things.
                    Brake pads and shoes
                    Timing Belt
                    Change Transmission Fluid, ( auto )
                    Oil Change ( of course )
[right][snapback]229906[/snapback][/right]

Brake pads and shoes - disks/PBR/shoes $230-250 + labour
Timing Belt approx $500
Change Transmission Fluid, ( auto ) $100
Oil Change ( of course ) $30
about the brakes.. if you are having trouble deciding, i have had good luck with brembo blank oe replacement rotors and hawk hps pads. i've used that setup for several years across 3 different cars and i've been happy with it. low noise, low dust, great feel on the street and autoX. i have never used them for lapping a racetrack

EDIT: random comment.. if you are looking for a place to cut cost, i wouldn't recommend doing it on filters (ie oil filter) get the OE part
Brakes ....

My own personal preference on this one is going to good old crappy parts source....
I just asked the guys for the cheapest rotor for a focus.... $ 44 bucks each is what they came back with ... i said i was installing the parts myself (which i was) and perhaps i could get jobber pricing.... rotors $22.50 a piece.... so 50 bucks for front rotors. Pads, i went for EBC greenstuff pads,(90$) good pads, as for longevity on them , depends how you use them , be nice and youll get tons of useage, use your brakes so that you start to burn the pads, and they wont last so long....I got a year outta mine , and rotors for a year as well. With some AutoX'ing in there....

Rears, you can get the drum and bearing for 80 bucks each As for shoes , pay what you want for them , personally i just get ones that work , rear brakes account for only 15% of the braking power in this car, (assuming its a zx3-5 and 00-04 model year)

(btw the cheap rotors will crack sure, but ive cracked 200 $ rotors just the same... get some brake cooling ducts going for the front end and the difference will be huge...but at $22 bucks each i can replace em 10 times before they cost the same as one set of brembo's or SSBC's etc .... )

50 bucks for set of rotors
90 bucks for pads
80 bucks for rear drums (each)
65 bucks for shoes (give or take ???)

so about 370 bucks plus tax ... make it about 400 bucks in parts ...

front rotors and pads will take ... 10 min a side or so ....
Rears, about 45 min a side ...
so about 2 hours if you throw a couple beers in there

:)